Cruise Puts Crazy on Hold for Cancer Victim

5/5/2008 10:32 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The manic antics surrounding Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes were suddenly subdued when the mother of a two-year-old cancer victim ambushed them for support outside their New York hotel.

Tom was anything but glib while listening to the woman's story.

Anonymous 4.12.08 Expect us

"25. I'll bet money that was a staged event and the woman is a Scientologist.
He looks like he's in his (bad) acting mode.

Posted at 10:31AM on May 5th 2008 by kt"

You're right. He does look like he's in his bad acting mode. If it doesn't involve running, it involves staring intently. What an actor!

There are two people who would know if this is a plant. Mark Bunker or Tory. Quick, Calling Wize Beard Man..
=)

TMZhires13yearolds

Oh yes, this is indeed a publicity stunt! Just like he and Katie's romance was a publicity stunt. Just like little Suri was a publicity stunt. And it all proved out, didn't it? He and Katie went their seperate ways after his movie came out. Just as everyone suspected, Baby Suri didn't really exist. Jeesh, you morons. Tom's a scientologist and because you know nothing about scientology other than what the gossip rags tell you, it scares you to death, so you overlook Tom's good qualities. Instead you put on your tin-foil hats and come up with ridiculous nefarious theories over every move he makes. Grow up.

Good for Tom.

carol

Whether it was real or not, who knows. Maybe he'll donate to cancer research. I must say I hear a little bit from the Oprah first interview. This man is not an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination - he's definitely not a deep thinker. HIs answers are odd actually.- almost what you would expect from an elementary school student. Better off he shouldn't do interviews - he's not smart enough and it shows.

cnnlies

you people at tmz are the lowest forms of life.how do you look at yourself in the mirror?curse on all who work there.

Firerocket

Wait a minute,Scientology has been banned in Germany,there ain,t no churches there,so how could this woman been spotted there.

Culture Club

Did he tell her to exercise?

Ralph

Yah, my mother has cancer too....I don't stalk every celebrity I can to pander for donations. And she's not even covered by insurance. Can't people go out to dinner without this kind of morbid crap being thrown in their faces?!?! I think the whack job in this scene is not Tom or even Katie....

jadeddd

sorry, this looks like a plant to me. she had the same pasty white look that all scientologists seem to have, as well as that intense glare when talking to people that is taught in scientology, plus with his tight security how could anyone get as close as she did, he never stops to talk to anyone. not buying it.

Cameron

If it's a stunt they went to alot of trouble to stage a website for a sick little girl. It looks like a real mother with a real sick child to me. Perhaps the mother received some help to be in the right place at the right time to ask for help. I hope she gets the help she needs for her child. As for Katie posing like Princess Diana, this is the common posture of a tall woman with a shorter man. Just like Diana she is tring not to appear to loom over her husband. Being 6 ft tall my self I frequently see this same head down eyes up pose in pictures of myself. But Diana perfected it and it will always be hers.

jadeddd

i dont think he'd be dontating money, he'll prolly be sending her loads of free auditing, after all scientology "Cures cancer". many cancer patients have died after joining scientology as theyve been told that they no longer needed their medication, auditing would help get rid of the thetans that were causing it.
if you dont believe me look it up.

JessBcuz

19. How come the mother wasn't at the hospital with her sick child???

Posted at 10:13AM on May 5th 2008 by MidlifeMom

Honestly if my child had cancer and the medications and/or the appropriate (expensive) procedures were too much too handle, I'd probably find myself in her situation, away from the child JUST to ask someone, who hold afford it, for help. Her desperation is what we'd all do if one of our loved ones needed supplies we couldnt afford.

NUMbnuts

THIS WOMAN IS AN OBVIOUS PLANT...NO ONE GETS CLOSE TO A CELEBRITY OF TOM CRUISES STATURE, SINCE THE

KILLING OF JOHN LENNON....AS FAR AS THE WEBSITE FOR THE MOTHER AND CANCER VICTIM, TOM SURELY CAN

AFFORD THE COST OF SETTING THIS ENTIRE FARCE UP TO BOOST HIS IMAGE...WHAT THE HELL REASON WAS HE ON BACK TO BACK OPRAH INTERVIEWS...GET SMART PEOPLE....

READ THE " UNAUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY OF TOM CRUISE" BY ANDREW MORTON A REAL EYE-OPENER....

Jemima

My gosh !Tom can do no right as far as the paparazi is concerned. There has never been any proof that he is a fake, his life is fake, his marriage is a sham and his daughter is not even an earthling. He jumped on a couch and gave Matt Lauer a hard time. Get over it.
Here is a guy who became a coporation before he was 20. That is he became a commodity to be sold. People forget he is a real human being. Yes, it probably is difficult for him to relate to the real world. How on earth can he be part of it? He tries to be honest and non-offensive in an interview with the big O. Sharing his home and glimpses of his life. Now people are saying that is fake! It has also been said he is too serious and when he smiles, that looks fake! First of all it must be tough to relax on camera when you can anticipate no matter what you do, you will be crucified. Why do people want to believe the worst ?
I like Tom and Katie, I love little Suri, she is beautiful. I hope when the cameras are off they are having a ball.
someone mentioned Diana in a different context here. But look what happened to her life , thanks to the press.

stopthepresses

As someone with a family member battling cancer at this very minute, my heart goes out to this mother, if this is true. As a mother myself, I would jump barricades, risk getting shot, whatever, if I could find some way to save my child.

HOWEVER, Tom Cruise and his publicity machine know that he has ruined his career with his stunts over the past three years. No one will ever look at him the same way again, I don't care how many specials he does with Okra to try to rehab his image. I don't like her either, she has zero credibility with me, and he is a nut, pure and simple. The whole Scientology CRAP is nuts. I myself will never forget the sight of him saluting L. Ron Hubbard in the video leaked from the Scientology Church, or his insane, manic laughter. I don't think he's ALL bad, nobody is, but I do believe he would like the cult of Scientology to take over the world, and I believe they have people everywhere, attempting to do just that. NOTHING to do with Tom Cruise is not scripted, or sanctioned by the cult. The PR people are in overdrive, but I think it's too late.

Bubblebunny

She's thin, but not that pretty, and needs work on her maturity and personality.