« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

LeBron Not a Cheap Ass After All?

5/9/2008 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Could LeBron James' whole $10 tip on an $800 meal incident be just a big misunderstanding?

The owner of the XO Prime Steaks, where the whole stingy scene went down, has issued the following statement:

For the record, XO would like to clear up a misunderstanding resulting from a story that appeared in the Cleveland Scene on May 7th...Upon completion of his meal, Mr. James paid his bill with a credit card. Our waiter mistakenly read the receipt, inferring that Mr. James had left him only a $10 tip. To clear up the misunderstanding, Mr. James arranged for an appropriate tip to be delivered to the restaurant for the waiter.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Roxy

I totally agree with #1 - I bet he sent $90 to make it $100 - figured an 11% or 12% tip was good enough. These are the same people who drink a $12.50 martini, give you $13 and tell you to keep the change - gee, thanks.

Appaloosa

Didnt realize there was such a sense of entitlement from the serving community. Last I checked, you give good tips for good service. I didnt realize bringing someone a martini entitled the martini delivery person to get large tips. IT is your job. If you don't like your job get a new one.

Steph

I agree with 1,2,and 3. And according to the statement released, it sounds to me like everything the waiter said was true and they called LJ on it and THAT'S when he sent the tip over to make it right. I don't know about anyone else, but I think TMZ should make it a habit to bust these celebs/sports stars when it can be proven that they don't tip well enough or AT ALL. Then maybe our servers would be happier people for doing a job AND getting paid for it accordingly. There are also plenty of white people that do the same thing, unfortunately.

CJH

To those that comment using the "whole race" generalizations, it is so shameful that you choose to judge all by the actions of one or a few. How would you feel if you were lumped into a whole pile and someone degraded all of you? You probably wouldn't like it. I have seen people of all races omit tips to deserving waiters/waitresses. Actions should be judged on a person-to-person level. I am a disabled African American, and before you even say it, I am not on welfare. I do get annuity payments due to advanced planning and savings, and contrary to your beliefs, I tend to tip along the 20% and higher scale. As for comedy, I have seen numerous races boo and heckle individuals that lack humor. And furthermore, I have been to many places and I do "get out", I have also been blessed to have traveled to many exotic places, and I have news for you "moral authorities" 1-3, I doubt you can say that you have been lucky enough to travel, or in some cases go to an institution of higher learning.

Marcus

Yes, the waiter "misread' the receipt. So, why idoes LeBron need to arrange an appropriate tip? If the waiter "misread" the receipt then what's the problem? What a great P.R. cover-your-ass situation. And yes, #1 is ABSOLUTELY correct. It's NOT a racist comment either. It's true. Ask any bartender in the U.S.

Liz

CJH ~ And your point is.......................? What are you trying to say?

LVserver

I've been a sever for a long time and every other server that I have ever worked and that includes black servers say the same thing, for the most part black people don't tip. I have had black guests tell me that I provided excellent service and than leave 8%.

LVserver

Also in other countries people don't tip because there is service charge already added to the check which the server receives. If you don't want to tip go to McDonalds.

cmyman

YOU ARE IN TEH FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW IS IT THAT YOU GET TO COMPLAIN BECAUSE OF THE TIP THAT YOU GET? IF THAT WAS THE CASE THEN GET A BETTER JOB THAN MAKING 3.54 AN HOUR + TIPS. iN THE FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY IT IS IN YOUR JOB DISCRIPTON TO SERVE AND WAIT ON THE CUSTOMERS. MAYBE HE THOUGH YOUR SERVICE WAS ONLY WORTH THE $10. THEN THIS GOOFY IS - WHAT- EMBRASSED AND SENDS MORE MONEY? THAT MADE HIM LOOK SIMPLE.

AND YOU LET THE WAIT STAFF PIMP YOU FOR A BIGGER TIP.

Holly

I have been chased out of a restaurant before because the waitress felt she was entitled to a bigger tip. I told her I would have given her more, but she didn't earn it. She took our order and gave us our check and those were the only times we saw her.

Maybe the waiter read the receipt wrong when he entered it into the computer after LeBron left. It was probably supposed to be $100 not $10. That is not a big tip, but we don't know if the waiter even did enough to deserve that much.

WTF?

First, tipping is completely voluntary. Second, tipping should not be demanded or expected, only appreciatated. Third, maybe the waiter only deserved a $10 tip. Maybe he gave terrible service. Finally, restaurants should pay better instead of putting the burden on customers to subsidize the wait staff's wages. If waiters are not happy with their wages (including the tips they receive) then get another job. Being a waiter requires no education. That is why a 15 year old drop out can be a waiter. If you want to get paid more then get an education and get a better job where you don't have to rely on the generosity of others.

Brianna

CHEAPO! Get yourself an accountant

LVserver

That is why restaurants don't pay better because serving has always been a tipped position. If someone doesn't want to pay for service than they need to go some where without service such as McDonalds. When you tip you are paying for the service you received. As a server I will admit there have been times when I didn't deserve a good tip but there have been plenty of other times when I was complimented on my service and I received a small tip. Where I work it is assumed that I am tipped a certein percentage of my sales and I am taxed on that amount so if I make below that amount I am paying taxes on unearned income. If I don't pay taxes on at least 10% of my sales than the IRS thinks that I am trying to hide income and I could get audited. Again if you believe that tipping is voluntary go some where people don't wait at home or cook your own food.

afrknvylet

the reason that waitstaff make so little is BECAUSE the industry expects customers to tip. i think that by and large, servers do appreciate their tips, but it doesn't negate the fact that they bust their @$$es to EARN them. what customers don't understand is that what you are providing in your tip is actually just a server's living wage (if you can call it that). at most mid-range chains, the reason why the cost of your meal isn't more is because the cost of labor is relatively low. as the customer, you make up the difference. serving people is not easy - even bad service is work, because customers are very demanding; everyone thinks they are the only table and as a server, you may have 8 tables in your section. on top of that, a server has to "tip out" the bar and the bussers, usually based on percentage. so it hurts when a big check comes through but, in lebron's case, the server is left, what, 1%?!?! that's crazy.

i agree, bad service shouldn't be rewarded, per se. but as someone who has worked in the industry, my minimum is 15% across the board and 20% for good service. i will hook a server up even more if she/he is outstanding...and for the record, i'm a black woman. and i've seen it all - so that whole racial profiling bit is bogus. don't believe the hype. i've had 50% tips left by blacks, literally coins left by whites and latinos, and 5% left by east indians...and then i've had standard 20% left by all. so don't get drawn in to racist notions of class and stereotyping. it's ridiculous.

TheGreatBrajole

How could the waiter have been mistaken about the $10 dollar tip, if Lebron has to send over a separate tip now? How does paying with a credit card make the receipt of a meal more complicated than usual? Sound's like a cover-up to hide Lebron's cheap ways.... I know he has only come into money recently, but too many spoiled rich athletes think they can get away with being cheap towards others.. just ask Bernard Hopkins.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments