The "Lost" Diary -- Cabin Fever

5/9/2008 10:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

LostHey, Daniel from TMZ here -- welcome to another edition of the "Lost" Diary.

I've had a really hard time writing this part of the Diary and I think that goes back to the fact that I have had a hard time putting my finger on this season. Flashforwards are unpredictable, the Losties are spread out in many different places, the Freighter is looming and Jacob is hanging over my head worse than final exams. I don't think I have had less of a clue of what is going to happen from week to week than I do now.

For all you "Lost" Diary newbies, here's how it goes: I gather with a group of friends watching "Lost," writing what happens on the show as it happens, and throwing in my two cents along the way. For the third week in a row, I am flying solo tonight -- I just can't stay up late enough to watch it with a whole group of people.

10:02 -- My clock says 10:02, but I think "Grey's Anatomy" is still on. I don't think I can handle Locke with McNickname.

10:03 -- "His name is John!" -- Locke's mom

10:04 -- Three minutes into the show and we have our first Locke/Ben scene. As far as I am concerned, that's a good sign for a good episode.

10:05 -- We're back on the freighter and frankly it's about time. Whatever happened with Michael?

10:06 -- As to be expected, Michael is chained to a pipe in a room. Seems like he got off easy ... til now.

10:07 -- Keamy pulled the trigger, there were bullets in the gun, but the gun didn't fire. Just saying.

10:12 -- Locke encounters Horace in the woods, building a cabin. You might remember Horace as the guy who was there when Ben was born, helped Ben's dad get a job with Dharma, and there was one other thing. What was it? Oh yeah -- he died in the Purge!!!

10:13 -- And he's completely aware of the fact he's dead. And now we know the Purge was 12 years ago.

10:14 -- "Godspeed, John." -- Horace. And it was all a dream. Yeah, right.

10:15 -- "I used to have dreams." -- Ben

10:16 -- A fairly innocuous scene about how even when Locke was in an incubator people treated him like crap has just been kicked up a gazillion notches because RICHARD WAS THERE!!! So many questions ...

10:17 -- "He did it." Locke explaining the Purge to Hurley. There's something about a mass grave that rubs me the wrong way. I just can't put my finger on it.

10:21 -- "Mind if I show you a couple of neat things?" -- Richard to Locke. I am pretty sure that's a line preferred by some of the finest pedophiles in all the land.

10:24 -- I stand by belief that any scene of "Lost" over two minutes is just phenomenal. This one was no exception. I wonder what those items mean in the grand scheme of things? The vial of sand could relate to the sand around Jacob's cabin. Not sure if I get the compass yet. Oh, and I'll have a theory about Alpert/Dharma later on.

10:25 -- Though I am willing to bet Locke will find the compass on Horace's body.

10:26 -- Nope, he just found cabin blueprints instead. Not sure how that helps.

10:27 -- So Keamy's a d**k, right? Anyway, he's picked up the secondary objective and he says that in it, Widmore explains where Ben is headed. Does Widmore know where the cabin is? How could he?

10:28 -- The captain, who seems on the level, now wants to help Sayid and Desmond. Next time Keamy leaves for the island, the captain should just sail off. That's what I'd do.

10:33 -- Every time Locke and Ben talk lately, I can't decide if Ben likes Locke or hates him. On the one hand, it's like Locke is now Jacob's new favorite and he's jealous. On the other, he sees Locke as being the person who can save him and island.

10:34 -- It's high school now and life still sucks for John Locke. Dr. Alpert has eye on Locke, but his guidance counselor keeps telling him what he can't be. What are the odds this scene ends with John saying, "Don't tell me what I can't do"?

10:35 -- "Don't tell me what I can't do!" -- Locke. Too easy.

10:36 -- What the hell are they strapping to Keamy? Prediction: Lawnmower Man takes one for the team and crashes that helicopter into a mountain or something.

10:37 -- With everything that has gone on, would you want to ride that little dinky boat back to the island? I'd take my chances on the freighter.

10:42 -- "Destiny is a fickle bitch." -- Ben. Someone has lost their mojo, big time.

10:43 -- "Cabin." -- Hurley

10:44 -- Giant leap forward in our flashback and Locke is in rehab. And the voice of that nurse can't get past me (thank you, "The Wire") -- it's Abaddon, the guy who visited Hurley in the mental ward and recruited all the Freighter people. Creepy.

10:45 -- "You need to go on a Walkabout." -- Abaddon to Locke

10:46 -- "When you're ready, Mr. Locke, you'll listen to what I'm saying. And then, when you and me run into each other again, you'll owe me one." -- Abaddon to Locke

10:49 -- After a tense stand-off on the boat, and the morse code message coming true, Lawnmower Man is going to fly Keamy and company back to the island. I stand by my prediction -- they never make it.

10:52 -- Back on the beach Jack has recovered nicely and everyone has gathered on the shore to watch the helicopter. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when it explodes.

10:53 -- Nope. Instead, Lawnmower Man throws them a sat phone so they can find Keamy. I like my idea better.

10:54 -- Hurley and Ben are passing on going into the cabin.

10:55 -- And do you know whose voice that is? It's Christian Shephard, but he says he ain't Jacob -- just his publicist.

10:56 -- CLAIRE!!!!!

10:57 -- "How do I save the island?" -- Locke

10:58 -- Great little scene between Hurley and Ben. Candy bars, bringing fat people and mass murders together for generations.

10:59 -- "He wants us to move the island." -- Locke. Sounds reasonable enough.

Everyone watches TV for a different reason. Me, I can't stand shows that wrap up their show in a neat little bow every week and solve the murder and everyone is happy. I like long-reaching story lines that last for awhile. I want my television to make me work a little bit.

At its best, "Lost" is that show (and then some). What I loved most about tonight's episode is that it focused entirely on the mythology of the show. Seeing Richard and Abaddon in Locke's flashbacks was awesome. Watching Locke and company search for the cabin was fantastic. This is the kind of episode I enjoy.

Thus, I am giving tonight's ep an A -- watching Ben react to Locke's journey tonight was fascinating. Seeing Richard again gave me goosebumps. I hope every episode from here on out focuses on the same kinds of things that tonight's did.

Here's my thing with Richard tonight (besides the fact he seemingly never ages). He was off the island. We have been told the submarine is the only way on and off the island, but Locke was a baby some 45 years ago and the Purge only happened 12 years ago. Didn't Dharma arrive on the island in the 70s? So shouldn't Richard not have had access to the sub yet? Is this proof there is another way off the island? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, here is my question to you this week -- Are you like me in that the more an episode of "Lost" delves into the mythology of the show, the better it is?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Alano

I think the SAT phone that was thrown out of the helicopter was thrown out by Keamy not Frank. Remember he asked Sayid how many people were on the island? He is setting a trap for the beach losties to find the helicopter so they can kill or capture them.

If Clare is dead I can't figure out how she took her baby away from the campsite and left him under a tree. Although I knew she went with Christian it was a surprise to me to see her in the Cabin with him. I did not expect that at all. I was sort of hoping Sawyer and Clare would hook up. Kate sure doesn't appreciate him.

Great episode

jenzen

Ok - did Frank toss the phone out so the beachies can "find" them or STAY AWAY from them??

Did anyone catch the camera pan onto Locke's locker during the high school flashback? He had a comic book entitled "Geronmio Joe" on the locker with an old picture taped up behind it. I wonder the significance?

lobster

Who is John's father? Is he the son of Jacob? This seems to be mysterious and important. I don't think that it was really that old con man. The father mystery is relevant. How else would John end up being special?

kim

kind of boring episode can't wait till next week

Heather

Isn't the compass the same compass Locke found in season 1 that seemed off, but then they realized it was off b/c of the island having weird magnetic waves? He used it to find the plane with boone and boar hunting. I definitely think this episode was great and prefer when they delve more into the mythology.

maybelikethis

Awesome eppy... Definately an A ... How does Alpert stay so young looking...did anyone else realize that the island time is AHEAD of the frieghter???

Mia

I gave last night's episode an A+++++++ Last night I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode!! How crazy was the pic on that Locke drew of the Smoke Monter when he was a kid! Or the comic book with the island inthe background? Did anyone pick up on that??? And how calm Claire was in the cabin with her father. Almost as if she has been in on everything the whole time..HMMM Cant wait till next week!!! And yes Daniel I agree!!!

LOSTFan26

I completely agree with you on the grade you gave this week. I was talking my brother and my friends who said that last weeks was better, while I thought this weeks episode was an A+. My argument was that the best part about this show is the supernatural aspect, and this episode proved it in almost every single scene. Richard creeps the living daylights out of me. So did Claire. Why was she not concerned at all that her baby is not with her? Why did she seem OK that Christian told Locke that the baby is where it's supposed to be?
Thanks, Daniel for doing this every Friday. It sure does make the last couple of hours of work go by faster!

boredatwork

I love LOST but the last few weeks worth of eps. really have me like ?????? more than usual. Last night no exception.

No symphaty from me

I totally loved this episode and I was on the edge of my seat for the entire episode. I was disspointed when it ended because the hour was already over. I totally love the mythology of this episode. I was an A for me too!

Jennifer

I think Richard can travel through time, just like Ben did last week finding himself in the desert.

Lauren

My husband thinks that Richard is a manifestation of the island and not a regular human, and that is why he never looks a different age in any of the flashbacks/flashforwards. I can't figure out half the stuff that happens on the show, but I actually think my husband might be right about that.

mark

I got done watching last night with the feeling that I didn't understand the episode, but I didn't realize until this morning while reading about it that I feel asleep and missed about 20 minutes. I am so ashamed. When Richard shows up 45 years ago, you know this show goes deeper than any other one has. I can't wait to watch it tonight, again.

panchita_jones

i LOVED this episode. i'm not as hard to please as you, daniel, but i do prefer when the storyline sticks to the original "mythology". as you call it. there are often too many deviations and distractions that make viewers stop watching. i saw the previews for next week's show and see that they will start to get into phase 2 of the survivors lives (the Oceanic 6). i'm glued to this show until the final episode!

kim

i think abbadon is jacob(god)

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments