Is Tori Baskin' in 31 Flavors of Bacteria?

5/21/2008 5:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Why is Baskin-Robbins trotting out Tori Spelling to push its new line of soft-serve ice cream on other pregnant women when soft-serve is a known taboo for preggo women?

Several sources in the know -- including one pregnant OB/GYN -- tell TMZ that there are "definite" health risks associated with soft-serve ice cream for expectant moms because of Listeria bacteria. Softie machines can be studded with bacteria that can cause all kinds of issues for newborns -- in fact, Down Under, it's pretty much forbidden for preggo women.

B-R tells TMZ in a statement, "Our Soft Serve products are continuously monitored by our suppliers, and our pasteurization process is state inspected and certified on a regular basis. The only way Listeria, which has been found in a variety of raw foods, can be found in soft serve would be through improper pasteurization."

austingurl

I never heard you couldnt eat soft serve ice cream while pregnant!!! I ate way too much of that soft serve at Jasons Deli while preggers w/ both of my babies!

Kristina

Yeah B-O-R-I-N-G story !!!!!!!!!!!! I ate soft serve ice cream like it was my job with both my kids and they are just fine!!!! This is not the good stuff we look for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrean

GIVE HER A BREAK SHE'S PREGNANT AND SHE HAS CRAVINGS I'M SURE HER SON WAS BORN HEATHLY

twinmamma

This is so stupid. The risk of listeria is LOW. Listeria is found in lunch meats, hot dogs, etc, all things routinely eaten by pregnant women. Twits.

Darv

#57, and if you read the literature given to you by the OBGYN , you might have recalled that: they highly recommend that you not eat these foods unless they are... THOUROUGHLY COOKED. OMG what a novel idea. Actually reading the crap the doctor gives you. /boggle.

Seriously

I love Tori Spelling. I think she is a very funny and likeable lady. However, if she were to truly grasp what an ugly monster-like-looking creature she becomes when she gets pregnant.......she just wouldn't. Kind of like JLo..............who morphed into a full-grown gorilla during her pregnancy. Neither one have pretty pregnant faces. YUCK ladies. Please quit going out in public if you insist on getting pregnant, because you two are painful to look at, pregnant.

Alan

According to www.about-listeria.com, The body’s defense against Listeria monocytogenes and other intracellular pathogens is called “cell-mediated immunity” because it depends on our cells. Pregnant women naturally have a depressed cell-mediated immune system, therefore, Pregnant women are about 20 times more likely than other healthy adults to contract listeriosis.

However, I don't think a brand name company like Baskin Robbins will be in business if they served soft serve ice cream that contained Listeria. It also states from the website that "Listeria may be transferred in common ready-to-eat foods that have been kept properly refrigerated", Now if Basking Robbins didn't properly refrigerate their soft serve ice cream and served listeria monocytogene bacteria to customers, then they should go out of business. But that isn't so, most foods come with Listeria, if TMZ really cared about health, then they should warn all pregnant women to avoid a few other items as well.

TMZ needs to do research before posting up nonsense. Improve your English writing skills and tell TMZ's staff to go back to school. Do some scientific research before posting up gossip. By just watching your show on TV and reading articles on your website, it feels like TMZ is just hiring people who didn't even graduate from college. Unprofessional and every story I see isn't believable.

Suzanne

I eat soft serve ice cream. Get a life people.

CELEBS HAS NO COMMON SENSE OR DO THEY PAY IN FULL CASH

MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF NOTHING ..........

JUST FOR A STORY .......

Perky

Looking at Tori's pic - FAKE BOOBS SAG? Glad she's got the money to go under the knife again. I mean it's soooooo important. Dah!

Oakley

I have honestly never heard of soft serve being bad for pregnant women. How in thew world is the human race surviving with all these horrible things that woman do when they're pregnant????? Get over it!