Daughter of Christian Singer Chapman Killed

5/22/2008 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The five-year-old daughter of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman was killed last night when a car apparently driven by one of her older brothers hit her in the Chapman family's driveway.

In what local police are calling a "terrible accident," Maria Chapman was playing in the driveway when she was struck by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by one of Chapman's teenage sons. The police did not identify the driver, according to The Tennessean.

A statement on Chapman's website says, "Maria was rushed to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville, transported by LifeFlight, but died of her injuries there." Maria was the youngest of the Chapman's six children.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

anon

This story is a complete tragedy. For those that are so moved, the family is requesting that in lieu of flowers donations be made to Shoahannah's Hope. It is the charity they founded after they adopted the oldest of the three girls they adopted from China. The money goe to help other families with the expenses of adoption. Perhaps through this tragedy other orphans around this world will be saved. My prayers to the Chapman family.

pay atention

I am so sick to hear about this. My heart is broke for this young 16 year old. I can't imagine how he is feeling right now. I am praying for them all. God Bless the Chapman family!

Victoria

I'm most certainly a believer in Jesus Christ...........and NOT at all ashamed to admit that.

And for all you non-believers....I pray for your salvation.

kathy of Houston Texas

Here in Houston Texas our christian radio station is having a tribute to the champman family at noon , centeral time. the station is KSBJ 89.3 and you can find it on the internet at ksbj.org. They are playing his song With Hope. This must be the song that he wrote for his friend at the loss of a child. The dj's said that it was as though he was singing it to little maria. God bless this family and all of the people who have added post that is not very kind and loving . just know that there is a god and you will stand in front of God in the end and answer for such ugliness.
May God keep the Chapman family and everyone who has lost children in His great love. We serve an awesome God. I know a day never goes by that I don't think God for His Great Love.

Barbara

My thoughts and prayers are with Steven Curtis and the family at this time. God is with you and will be your strength...rest in His arms. God had a purpose for little Maria...and He was ready to receive His little Angel back into His embrace. God be with you all....with love and prayers

Angie

My heart goes out to Steven and his family. He is a godly man and some might wonder why someone who loves the Lord so much would have such a horrible disaster. I know God will sustain him. Oh the grief though. I am so sad for what they must be going through.

Tired and Ready for A Nap

As the parent of a daughter adopted from China via the same agency the Chapman's used, I was so sad to hear this news. I do not follow Christian music and know very little about this man, but, I can relate as a parent. This is a sad, horrible loss and a senseless tragedy. My heart breaks for the son who was driving and hit his little sister. As someone who traveled halfway around the world to achieve my dream of parenting, I cannot even begin to fathom this type of loss.

mara

Rest in peace, little one. So sad...

MaryMac

I cannot even begin to imagine what this poor family is going through right now. What a horrible tragedy, especially to the teeange brother. I sometimes wonder why God take away our most precious angels here on earth until I think of what Heaven would be like without them there. Surely this beautiful child is at home and being comforted in the arms of her true Father. My He help this poor family heal from this horrible tragedy.

Luke

This is a terrible tragedy. I can't understand how something like this could happen to a beautiful child when god is on their side ????

Tammy Quon

I would like to offer sincere condolences for the family of Steven Curtis Chapman on the tragic loss of this precious little girl.
She is in the arms of the Lord now. I lost a child in April of 2000 tragically and at the funeral we chose as a song that Steven Curtis Chapman recorded. The name of the song is "With Hope" and is on the Speechless" CD.
May the Lord comfort the family . With Hope.... Tammy

Julie

My heart goes out to this family, and as others have said, especially to the young man driving the car. I pray that God gives the whole family the peace that passes all understanding. This baby girl is all snuggled up on the lap of her Savior. Doesn't get any better than THAT! We will pray especially for her brother, that as he grieves he will feel the arms of Jesus surround him and hold him up when he feels so down. Through the years I have enjoyed and been lifted up by SCC's music. Pray that the whole family will find comfort in the ministry of that gift of music.

crus

To number 80, "just wondering", oh, so you can't make a comment about race, but, it's okay for you, in your reply, to
mock and make fun of the mentally challenged, you know, "the short bus". You typical hypocrite!!!!!! Look at me, I'm a flaming liberal, I value everyones opinion, thoughts and ideas, except, if they disagree with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know your type. We all do.

ThirstyThursday

God called his Angel home by having the brother run her down in the driveway like a dog?
That makes sense to y'all, really. C'mon, can you really be that hard up for 'faith'.

ericar82

I am saddended by a few of the comments that have been posted on this site. This is such a tragic loss to the family....I can't believe how cruel and heartless people can be.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Chapman family. Keep your faith in the Lord, may he give you peace and comfort during this difficult time.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments