Daughter of Christian Singer Chapman Killed

5/22/2008 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The five-year-old daughter of Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman was killed last night when a car apparently driven by one of her older brothers hit her in the Chapman family's driveway.

In what local police are calling a "terrible accident," Maria Chapman was playing in the driveway when she was struck by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by one of Chapman's teenage sons. The police did not identify the driver, according to The Tennessean.

A statement on Chapman's website says, "Maria was rushed to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville, transported by LifeFlight, but died of her injuries there." Maria was the youngest of the Chapman's six children.

crus

"WHO ARE YOU", Why would you be mad? You said yourself in your comments, "this is America", you have free speech.
So does that guy, if he wants to say, "Die Brain Pig", he can. I mean, that's not for me, but, hey, he might be doing
him a favor!!

wasted days and wasted nights

This is an amazing family and an American tragedy. Steven and Beth Chapman have just about raised their three biological kids and yet have set out to raise more children through adoption. Last year, Steven headlined a concert with Sanctus Real and Bethany Dylan at a venue where I assist on a part-time basis, and I had the privilege of driving the entire family--only Emily, the oldest, was not there, as I recall--on a couple of errands. I was impressed that Will and Caleb were quite the gentlemen when it came to their little sisters, carrying their car seats and installing them and just doing whatever they could to make it a good day for them. It was a beautiful sight, big brothers watchin' out for their lil' sisters, and it was a happy day, full of laughter and smiles and good times. This is not one of those days for the Chapmans, but I join in praying for them and knowing that Jesus will help them bear this burden.

MW

Only person in here with half a brain is ThirstyThursday. The invisible man in the sky had nothing to do with this, people. If any of you could put two and two together you'd realize this tragedy happened because an inexperienced driver was driving a ridiculous planet-killing SUV KNOWN to have blind spots in the rear. And what a damn shame it is!!

pattie in cali

we are so sorry to hear this, our prayers are with you all, and the family. GOD BLESS.

crus

Thirsty Thursday, why the anger? After reading that post, the dude was defending your lifestyle choice? Read it again,
i'm pretty sure he was on your side!!

One

What a terrible loss. Heartfelt condolences. And congrats to TMZ for finally reporting a tragic story with respect and factual information.

crus

"mw" quit listening to your teachers. Planet killer?? Global warming in the biggest con artist scam ever perpetrated on
the American public since three hour Martinizing!! Just for that comment, you have been penalized one hour. Yes, for
that comment, I am going to go start my truck up and just leave it run, for one hour.
Open your mind, you fool, blind faith will get you nowhere in high school or college, think for yourself!!

Susan

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY.......RIP

who cares

Lets stick to the story which is about a smallchild tragically dying
why all the picking on other posters
all of you should look in the mirror before passing judgement on others
stick to the story and quit hating and bashing what others post
peace out man

MW

qru, and it's idiots like yourself who will destroy this Earth with your convenient ignorance.

LA GABBY

What a SAD story... Just reminds us 2 watch out 4 all of our own little ones! May GOD help this family

ThirstyThursday

Sorry I missed most of this today, nice work here.....

Alice

Poor lil Maria. Such a sweet lil girl. Teenagers in my opinion should not be allowed to drive until the age of 19. There has been countless accidents where innocent people have been killed or badly injured by teenage drivers. Especially teenagers raised by entertainers. Look at all the DUI's from young teens nowadays, (Lindsay Lohan, Barron Hilton, Nicole Richie, Mischa Barton) just to name a few. And remember the big accident Nick Hogan caused that left his best friend in a coma to this day?

I am certain that Maria's teenager brother must have been driving pretty fast to have hit Maria while in the driveway. If he had been going under 20 KM, I'm pretty sure he would have heard or felt it when he hit Maria. For her to die from her injuries you can image how fast he was driving. For those of you who may think I'm cruel for putting the blame on this teenager at this particular time, please think again, poor lil Maria is gone, she just turned 5 ten days ago before this accident. I really think she would have been better off before she was adopted, at least she'd still be alive. I can't believe Maria's birth mother would even give her up in the first place, unresponsible and heartless. This is all so sad.

Tessa

SCC is one of my favorite artists of all time, and this loss is heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers and with him, Mary Beth, and the rest of the family. I'll take a few of his own words and say "We can cry with hope, we can say good-bye with hope,
'cause we know our goodbye is not the end". It's such a tough loss, and the pain, I'm sure will never go away, but she's in the arms of Jesus, and as we all know, there's no better place to be.

Frank Olivo

Baby Killa, you are Laughing your ass off over this? Phew...your life must have really sucked to be this way. My prayers are with the Chapman family, they are going to need it to get through this horrific nightmare. God gives us freewill to live and make choices...this is no punishment from God, nor is a sign of NO God. We are only here for the short run. That poor baby, that poor brother..this really sucks for them. I hope everyone's thoughts and prayers bring them some comfort at some point.