Richard Simmons: Sweatin' on a Lawsuit

6/4/2008 6:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A couple is suing fitness freak Richard Simmons -- and it's not because he wears those terrible shorty shorts.
Click to read the documents!
Susan and Daniel Dunlap are suing Fisher Price, Mattel, and the Bedazzled One for stealing an idea they claim they had to combine interactive media and treadmills -- which was pretty much a fancy way to distract people from how much exercising sucks. Kinda like the shorty shorts.

The Dunlaps allege they exchanged emails with Simmons and his manager about their idea called "S & D Treadmill Travels" in 2006 -- but eventually stopped hearing back.

That is, until 2007, when the Dunlaps saw an advertisement for the "Smart Cycle" -- a product which showed a kid exercising on stationary bike connected to a television. The Dunlaps alledge the product was endorsed by one Richard Simmons.

The Dunlaps are suing for damages in excess of $75,000. A call to Simmons' manager -- and Mattel -- was not immediately returned.

Anna

I worked for Richard Simmons back in the 80's. He may be flamboyant, he may be outspoken, but one thing he is not is a thief! He loves helping people and is a man of integrity when it come to helping people get healthy. The success of his followers speaks for itself!

hollymamaof3

This isn't new! Gilligan had a bike just like that!

VAN HALEN 5150

im feelin very gay right now..

nitesky

Thought maybe someone was suing because of those awful shorts :)

hank

I saw this guy at the airport in New Orleans years ago. He was mobed by admiring fans, greeted each one, made each one feel special. He was a class act! Just gotta take Mr Simmons for what he is a funny personality and seemed to be very sincere.
He really is a great character.

wendy

Richard Simmons has helped many people through the years. He has a big heart.

THE BOSS

ARE U FAT?? DO U WAKE UP WITH A SWEET ROLL IN THE MORNING???? HAHAHAHA

Maria

That kind of a cycle was around longer ago than 2005/2006! I agree...that wasn't a new idea. lol Sue-happy people, I guessssssssssssssss!

JD

Looks like Bozzo the Clown in drag

AH

I think them people are just looking for a easy way to make money,

jane doe

I love Him! He has a heart of gold helping soooo many people!

alaskaisnexttorussia

I love Richard SImmons!!.. once my husband saw him at the miami airport... i told my husband to tell him hi for me, we were on the cell phone... (i was in la) well richard grabbed the phone from him and actually chatted w/ME for a little bit... he was so funny and so nice for doing that... so yeah.. i love him!!.. that was cool.... he did scare my husband though.. haha..

Whatever

What? This is nothing new and this couple are not the one's that came up with this. He may not be of the norm, but this guy is truly a nice guy. My sister was at the San Antonio Airport to come see me graduate and was pregnant at the time and someonw had made a nasty remark of her being a little too big as she walked by and he had overheard this and went up to her and spoke to her and made sure she was ok. She got his autographed and still to this day has it. So for me, I'm a fan and if this guy has helped people lose weight and live a healthy life, I'm glad.

Gabby

I'm sure this lawsuit will be thrown out as the joke that it is...and for those of you with disrespectful comments towards Richard..I would just like to say that's it's a shame that you choose to pass disrespect towards someone you really don't know..Richard is the most genuine and loving friend I have ever known. He is full of life and love and he makes those that he's around feel that way too...maybe you need to talk to him he could help you find happiness in something other than putting down other people.

Amber

I think Richard Simmons is soooo Cooooool! I just LOVE those "Ji-normously" legs! They are so BUFF. One time, years ago, I saw him sitting on a grassy knoll, and believ it or not, he was wearing PANTS!!!. Aye Caramba!!!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments