Tim Russert Dies of a Heart Attack

6/13/2008 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC News' Tim Russert has died of a heart attack. He was 58.

He was working in NBC's Washington bureau today when he collapsed while recording voice overs.

DC Fire tells us the call came in at 1:41 PM ET. We're told they transported one adult male patient in cardiac arrest to Sibley Hospital where he died.

The "Meet the Press" host and author is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth -- a special correspondent for Vanity Fair -- and their adult son, Luke.

Kessie

I felt I could trust his commentaries and will truly miss him. Sincere sympathy to his wife and son and his family and friends. What a tragic loss for great journalism!

Robin

This is such a shock. He paid even the most boring political stories interesting. He will surely be missed.

Black Teef

Well, at least there's no more beating off about "Big Russ"

dj

Today is a great day for New York! Finally, this douchebag is gone :-) Anyone that knew and worked with this guy, knows that he was a total a$$hole and a prick. For all you simpathizers, i wish you'd known him or worked with him to see where most of us are coming from.

Today is the day New York should have a parade to celebrate the passing of this A-hole.

F U Tim!

Bird

Wow. This is totally insane. I tell you, tomorrow really is not promised.

Kathy

He was one of the few Political commentators I liked ..so awful..my thoughts and prayers are with his family

Staci

Devastating news....our Sunday mornings will never ever be the same again. Tim, you were the finest and you will most definitely be missed by our family. Our thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Robert

shame, liked listening to him.

Lizzy

A gentleman and a scholar...funny yet informative...soft spoken yet tough as nails...between the loss of him and last week's passing of Jim McKay, Heaven has become an even better place, and certainly better informed, as they were both peerless in their talent and humanity.

God rest Tim's souls and comfort those that loved and knew him.

Kate

This makes me so sad... My Sunday mornings will never be the same. This one's for you, Tim-- GO BILLS!

Annoyed.

#85, you're a jackass. now shut up.

Malteselover

I am sooo sad. He was a lovely man.

rob

oh my god, he was on hillary and bills hit list. do you suppose they started their revenge thing already. If i were Keith Olberman, i would run and hide.

Lizzy

I meant "soul" not "souls...apologies, but my called me sobbing with this news and I'm still a little thrown...

Carla Stutz

What a shame. I am so very sorry for his wife and son. I have enjoyed watching Meet the Press for many years now, all because of Mr. Russert. He seemed like a decent, kind person who loved his family. He will be missed.