Violent Surfers Shred Paps Over McConaughey

6/22/2008 1:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A group of surfers just got gnarly on a group of paps -- all over photos of beach king Matthew McConaughey!

Around 12 photographers were on the beach in Malibu Saturday afternoon trying to get shots of Matty hitting the surf, when an all-out smackdown was laid on the pappers by turf-protecting surfers.

One pap was hit in the face and we're told suffered a broken nose, while another was thrown into some rocks and had his camera smashed. McConaughey was not involved in the ruckus.

Police tell us a battery report was filed by one photographer but no arrests have been made.

A rep for Matthew has yet to get back to us.

Terry

I think those guys were just looking for their own 1 minute of fame, and look they got it

CyberCritic

I agree with #121...wheres the poll Harvey.... Hey...maybe one of your twinks could post it....I'm sure you would love to see how popular TMZ's pap's are.....NOT

CyberCritic

I'm still waiting to see if TMZ covers Harveys gay wedding......

CyberCritic

A day in the life of TMZ

Harvey: I've got my venti cappucino from Starbucks. Anybody who dares call it a large will be fired!! It's venti, goddamit! That said, what've we got today?

Bug Eyed Girl: I have Tony Danza leaving a Jiffy Lube.

Harvey: Oh, yes!!! Gimme gimme MORE, gimme MORE! God, I love being a celebrity stalking douche.

Bug Eyed Girl: BTW,, I'm currently being nailed by Patrick Duffy.

Harvey: Hmmm, I can't say I blame you. Duffy is a fine specimen of man. What else do we have?

Fabio Wannabe: Well, as I was unbuttoning my shirt to show just the right amount of chest, I found an internet video of Britney Spears.....opening a door!

Harvey: Oh yes!! Somebody pinch my nipples! What else?

Metrosexual Mike: I have Paris Hilton being gang banged by a truck full of day laborers outside a Home Depot.

Harvey: Yes!! Let me write that one on my clear dry erase board. That makes it look like we have legitimate office jobs.

Token Black Guy: I have a picture of Jessica Simpson in sweatpants.

Harvey: Wow! A celeb wearing sweatpants? That's certainly more newsworthy than the war in Iraq! And why isn't anybody pinching my nipples yet? Anything else?

Bug Eyed Girl: Apparently a black hawk helicopter got shot down in Iraq today, bring the total US casualties to...

(dead silence)

Harvey: Get the f*ck out!

wtf

123....."are all paparazzi foreign? Do we know if that's a field where illegals are welcomed?"

Patti I saw a show that said most paps are ex criminals, I can't remember if they said illegal or not but might be. They said these agencies are encouraged to hire them and get tax breaks if they do. They said some of them are ex cons for stealing and sexual assault.

Sherry

#127.... It's not " poll " Harvey, It's PAUL! And that's not a error, or maybe it's just a little more smarts. The way I see it.... It's about time! Matt's about ready to be a dad and need's his privacy. More power to the other surfers for trying to give him that! To a;; the locals... Keep it up!

FLIPPIN IN WILKES-BARRE

I work as a freelance shooter in Pa. news/crime/sports whatever and i feel its great what those surfers did we in the biz look on those slugs as low rung parasites. But then again i check TMZ everyday.

veronica

haha i know these dudes!!! Yah the paps g2 get a freakin life!!

Khaj

Alright, I am getting sick and tired of people ignorantly trying to play the "hypocrite" card. You say *we're* the ones who need to get a clue?? It's you who needs the clue.

As the pap coverage of stars has become more and more intrusive, more and more of us have been consistently showing our disapproval of the tactics that the paparazzi have been using.

Yes, we come to this site and others to look for photos of Celebrities.
However...

*We* know the difference between snapping a photo of a Celebrity going about their day and invasion of privacy, stalking, and endangerment. We know that a telephoto shot of a shirtless female toddler plastered all over the internet is *wrong*.

We'd be quite content with photos that were *not* obtained by means of car chase, blocking someone's car so that they couldn't leave without running someone over, and getting within *inches* of a celebrity. These situations aren't merely annoyances that come along with celebrity. They endanger the lives of the celebrities themselves, bystanders, and yes, even the paparazzi.

And you know what, some even come here mainly to add voice to the numbers that do not approve of the tactics.

It is not hypocritical to come to a site and say "I don't at all approve of the way you obtained that photo." Why not? Because, we're the consumers in this little "transaction" here. We don't want to look at photos obtained by means that border on if not flat out cross the line into illegal. We have *every* right to voice that. Actually, I think we have a duty to do it. If we just sat here and said "I got to see a pic of a celeb why should I care how it was obtained" we would carry just as much fault as the paparazzi.

As a human being, to sit back and ignore the tactics of the paparazzi and not say anything to their employers or the sites that obtain photos from them, is wrong.

I now see quite well that it was foolish of us all to believe that Princess Di's tragedy would teach the paparazzi a lesson... it hasn't. In some ways, it's gotten worse.

Stop pointing a finger a those of us voicing dissent. How else is anyone going to make it clear that we don't want the photos at that cost or anything resembling it.

campy

FINALLY!!!! SOME REAL ENTERTAINMENT!!!

American Citizen

This is completely wrong on all levels. The Pap shouldn't harass people but the surfers have no
"right" to the beach. They don't own the beach. Legally they are in the wrong. No one should feel afraid or intimidated on public property or anywhere else for that matter.

I would have fought back at the surfers and if I felt fear for my life or serious bodily injury I would have had no
problem using deadly force to save my life or the life of another. Get a life surfers.

dawson

Good for the surfers!!! Wish the long haired blond guy from your TV show was there!!

Studly

This one's for Britney.

CELEBS HAS NO COMMON SENSE OR DO THEY PAY IN FULL CASH

PAPAPRAZZI , ARE BETTER OFF , FOUNDING ANOTHER JOB .

JOB CHANGE . WORK IN TV , COMMERICALS , WHATEVER IT

TAKE ( EXCEPT FOR TAKING PICTURES ) TO GET A BETTER

JOB . PAPPA DOESN'T HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION , EVERYDAY

THEY'RE LOOKING WORSE . "IF THE CELEBS DOESN'T GET THERE

PICTURE TAKEN , THEN THEY BECOME "UNPOPULAR " A NOBODY ,

DOESN'T MAKE THOSE MILLIONS EACH DAY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

FANS ARE THE ONES WHO KEEPING THE CELEBS RICH . RIGHT NOW

THE FANS BETTER START SAVING THE MONEY FOR THERESELVES .

SINCE THIS ECONOMY ISN'T DOING WELL . YOU COULD BE ON THE

UNEMPLOYMENT LINE .

CELEBS SHOULD DONATE THERE MONEY TO PEOPLE WHO NEEDS

HELP , INDIRECT WAY , THAT'S HOW CELEBS ARE ....NEEDING THE

FANS BUY / DONATE MONEY TO THEM TO KEEP UP WITH THERE

EXPENSIVE HABITS ( MANSIONS , CARS , CLOTHING , ETC ) .

REVOLVING DOOR . FANS BUY CELEBS ITEMS , CELEBS BUY AND

FANS ARE THE ONES WHO GET S.H.I.T. ON ....

FANS SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR FOOD AND GASOLINE FORGET THE CELEBS.

Sam What Am

Rough justice, but justice. Anyone who knows a customer is a pap should refuse to do business with them.