F***, George Carlin's Dead

6/23/2008 2:16 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

George CarlinBust out those seven words, it's time for a tribute. Legendary comedian George Carlin has died.

The 71-year-old Carlin died around 6:00 PM PT this evening at an L.A. hospital after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains.

A battle over his comedy -- namely his "Filthy Words" routine -- went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Hussie

Here's to the last of the greats...One who wasn't afraid to be himself, and not put on heirs for anyone...No "Political Correctness", No drama, just plain George...

Angel

Awww excrement .

JuicyGirl

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Ejay

SURPRISE, GEORGE!! There is a God.

Joslyn

I am in such shock. He was one of the best and one of the last of his kind. Now we just have crap.. He will be missed, I loved how he was never afraid to tell it how it is, and talk about issues that no one was willing to talk about and then through it in your face.. In his words "I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

Mars

My first comedy album was Class Clown, I learned all his routines and they still make me laugh to this day. I have an old Johnny Carson compelation album with Carlin doing a bit about his neighborhood that he called "White Harlem" the real name was Morningside Heights. When I moved to NYC I found that place because he made it so funny. The world is a much less funny place today. He's now with his beloved wife and Heaven has a new star.

Ray

Was his athiesm just an act?

Carlos Mencia next please

He sold out signing on to doing that failure of a show on Fox that didn't last long

william richard bradford

nothing will ever
replace this artist;

so let's dedicate the new
cell phone law in his honor;

when you see an " abuser "
talking away, think of carlin;

" look, that bitch
is pulling a carlin "

NO more senseless people driving
and talking in cali within days !!!!!

Carlos Mencia next please

What always made me laugh are the kinds of fans he has. Kinda like being at a Walmart around 3am

Julia

Well, well, well...I cannot believe all the negative comments about him. Even the most vulgar or disgusting person was a person, and should be treated with his Hippy Dippy Weatherman bit and built himself into a counter-culture icon who to this day gets some of the highest ratings on HBO, and literally wrote the FCC's obscenity code. I also think he was maybe the funniest person on the planet at just telling jokes that related to anyone, at any age, any gender, or race. Whether you were taught differently about curse words or not is irrelevant. Even my mom, who I never heard say the F word in my entire life, and still apologizes any time she even says SH**, thought he was a genius, and saw him way back when he was still really hopped up on drugs, about 30 years ago.

If you've ever heard the statement, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all," this is the right time to abide by that. If you didn't like him, then just shrug this off and move on. If you did, and respected his achievements, then scream the 7 Dirty Words at the top of your lungs as many times as you can the next few days, because he's listening.

RIP George. I hope you enjoy all the pens and socks you lost over the years. Lots of good they'll do ya now that you have them in Heaven, but eh...

Freeman

In respect to some of the comments about George Carlin's style of comedy, I cannot comment on his salvation but I can comment on one person's statement that he's making people laugh in Heaven right now.

If he's making people laugh in Heaven right now he's made a dramatic change in his delivery. That filth he spewed out would never be tolerated in Heaven.

Lori

Our family listened to him on record albums! And I mean the whole family. He was always edgy. The era before he got trashy......He was funny!! Timothy Leary, really leary"! We would all laugh! Baby, Maybe!!!! He would appear on tv shows. And he was funny!

Julia

Wow...That first paragraph should have read...

Well, well, well...I cannot believe all the negative comments about him. Even the most vulgar or disgusting person was a person, and should be treated with respect. Starting with his Hippy Dippy Weatherman bit, he built himself into a counter-culture icon who to this day gets some of the highest ratings on HBO, and literally wrote the FCC's obscenity code. I also think he was maybe the funniest person on the planet at just telling jokes that related to anyone, at any age, any gender, or race. Whether you were taught differently about curse words or not is irrelevant. Even my mom, who I never heard say the F word in my entire life, and still apologizes any time she even says SH**, thought he was a genius, and saw him way back when he was still really hopped up on drugs, about 30 years ago.

Kevin

May Joe Pesci bless him and keep him well...