Bill Murray -- Divorce in a Hurry

6/25/2008 7:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dayum ... that was fast! Bill Murray and his wife Jennifer have quietly -- and officially -- divorced, sans the drama we heard about a month ago.

TMZ has obtain court documents, dated June 13, granting the two a divorce. Bill's been ordered to pay child support, Jennifer will have custody of their four kids and gets to keep their two houses.

Hollywood is splitsville -- click to launchJust last month, Jennifer filed for divorce alleging, among other things, that hubby Bill was a sex addict who beat her up. A month later, the two are officially kaput.

John

So we automatically believe the woman, another one claiming abuse. Sometimes it isn't even true, just a ploy to embarrass the spouse and get more money to shut up.

Brattus Rattus

I'm happily divorced now. I sent my hubby the divorce papers via FedEx. I thought that was the best way to handle it. Good for Bill and his wife to become happy again. There is no excuse for him physically hurting her, if that is what happened. As far as the emotional abuse...I sadly don't know one married couple that hasn't been emotionally abused in one way or another. If there are no witnesses then there is no proof that any of it happened.

Frieda Jane

I still don't understand why this has to be so public. It is really none of our business...you don't see the particulars on the divorce of the guy down the street and his wife being made public. I am glad that it has been apparently settled as quietly as it has.

Frieda Jane

Answer to #13

Perhaps, just perhaps they have have been separated for the neessary time and it just beame publi knowledge when she filed for the divorce. Then again....why is it any of your our our business?

Shambalaya

Divorce should take a little time so the parties can think things through. It shouldn't be easy. They had four kids together. I'm not sure why the mother of those kids shouldn't have two houses. It's not like Bill Murray is going broke after all. She hasn't exactly taken him to the cleaners, and she DID stay with him long enough to have four kids and intends to continue to raise the kids. Why should the wife be worse off after the divorce? I've raised three kids pretty much alone while my husband has worked, and you'd better believe if divorce became necessary, I'd feel entitled to my half. You can't have a big career and lots of kids without a willing partner, and that partner is entitled to half of what you have. That said, people divorce all too easily, and adults seem to believe they're entitled to some special happiness regardless of how their children are affected. The Murray marriage sounds like it was doomed as a result of Bill's bad behavior, but for most couples, it's much better to suck it up for the kids sake, especially if there is no abuse and no outward signs (fighting). Even couples who are no longer compatible can find a way to stay together until their kids are grown.

Frieda Jane

#50

You are right in your post, then again, we do not know how long this has been in the works do we? We don't know what they decided or why. WE only know that the papers were filed and I would guess agreements were made before the papers were filed and the court date set for the trial. What needs to be now is for us to stay out of it and let them move on. Since none of us lived with them, we don't know the story, would guess that we are only seeing the tip of it all. That is fine with me....

KarenB

Bill Murray? Sex addict and wife beater? Who would have thunk it? If true, SHAME ON YOU, BILL!!!!!! I am sure, that if Bill didn't think he owed what 'goodies' 'he is giving his newly-EX wife, he would be in the courts, fighting for every last cent he could keep!!! Mark my words, we hav not heard the last of this divorce! As far as what Jennifer may 'need'.....I am sure she has provided a great homelife for him and their children. This has enabled him to do this 'sex addict' philandering and rough-housing!!! Frankly, I am surprised that she stood it so long, as I have 'been there and done that' Thank goodness, when it happened to me, my children were not still at home.....It is a no-win, heart-breaking situation.

KarenB

Bill Murray? Sex addict and wife beater? Who would have thunk it?
If true, SHAME ON YOU, BILL!!!!!! I am sure, that if Bill didn't
think he owed what 'goodies' 'he is giving his newly-EX wife, he
would be in the courts, fighting for every last cent he could keep!!!
Mark my words, we hav not heard the last of this divorce! As far as
what Jennifer may 'need'.....I am sure she has provided a great
homelife for him and their children. This has enabled him to do this
'sex addict' philandering and rough-housing!!! Frankly, I am
surprised that she stood it so long, as I, except for the rough-housing, I have 'been
still at home. Remember, also, that mental abuse and anguish are just as destructive
and unhealthy as physical abuse is....They are both no-win, heart-breaking situations.

verano

That was quick. You always hear how celebrity divorces drag on and on..like the McCartney divorce from Heather Mills. That personally was a pain in my a** to see that everywhere and Heather looking so pathetic like she was the victim and she walked away with millions in the end.

Carolyn A-B

A see a future Ed McMahon in the making.

But, hell, if Jeff Conway still gets work, I suppose "Pizza Face" can, too.

KarenB

Bill Murray? Sex addict and wife beater? Who would have thunk it?
If true, SHAME ON YOU, BILL!!!!!! I am sure, that if Bill didn't
think he owed what 'goodies' 'he is giving his newly-EX wife, he
would be in the courts, fighting for every last cent he could keep!!!
Mark my words, we have not heard the last of this divorce! As far as
what Jennifer may 'need'?.....I am sure she has provided a great
homelife for him and their children. This has enabled him to do this
'sex addict' philandering and rough-housing!!! Remember, too, whatever
he has given, in this sad break-up, will be for THEIR children, as well!

that' Thank goodness, when I realized it was happening to me, my children were not
still at home.....Believe me....It is a no-win, heart-breaking situation.

holly

Fast and quiet usually means that one party wants to shut the other party up in a hurry. I'm sure he paid dearly for her silence and this quick resolution.

KarenB

Bill Murray? Sex addict and wife beater? Who would have thunk it?
If true, SHAME ON YOU, BILL!!!!!! I am sure, that if Bill didn't
think he owed what 'goodies' 'he is giving his newly-EX wife, he
would be in the courts, fighting for every last cent he could keep!!!
Mark my words, we have not heard the last of this divorce! As far as
what Jennifer may 'need'.....I am sure she has provided a great
homelife for him and their children. This has enabled him to do this
'sex addict' philandering, as well as his rough-housing!!! Frankly, I am
surprised that she stood it so long, as I have 'been there and done
that' Thank goodness, when I found it happening to me, my children were not
still at home.....It is, ALWAYS, a no-win, heart-breaking situation.

Angiebaby

Sounds like they were almost officially divorced before the new got wind of it.

Clementine

She's lying about the abuse. She probably provoked him so much that he would just grab her and yell. She is tired of him. He's older and not as much fun for her. She wants money. Also, what's wrong with wanting sex anyway?? Poor Bill. You are still one of my favorite actors and I will always love you, no matter what. You are so incredibly funny. I loved it when you sat in on Regis and Kelly. You were so so funny in your own nutty way. I wish you all the luck. God bless.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments