Send in the Clowns

... Bozo is Dead

7/3/2008 7:56 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0703_bozo_clown_bn_ap-1Larry Harmon, the man credited with making Bozo the Clown the icon he was, died Thursday of congestive heart failure. He was 83.

Harmon wasn't the original Bozo, but built up the character and eventually licensed it to television stations across the country.

DEB

SO SAD TO HEAR. I GREW UP WITH BOZO EVERY MORNING. I LOVED THAT. THANKS FOR ALL THE LAUGHS AND MEMORIES. GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN................

Heene

Aww, I used to watch that show all the time before I went to school. Those little kids, the ping pong balls and the buckets. The prizes mostly sucked. I thought I was watching some Clown show from a few years ago but apparently I was watching a new episode just made. Damn that show was trippy. Gonna type bozo into youtube and see what I come up with!

Heene

Oh yeah just want to say, I know the guy from that Bozo show I was watching didn't die, it was the original Bozo guy that died.

This Bozo guy sold Bozo so anyone could be Bozo, just like McDonalds.

LisaL

RIP.... I used to love watching the Bozo show growing up.
With that being said though, that picture is freaking me out!

Bandolero

The Bozo I remember is Willard Scott. He was also Ronald McDonald for a while. Never heard of this guy. Clowns are creepy. Except for Crusty and Damon Wayons Clown.

rod munch

Bozo Ruled the World, we will miss you, Rest in peace !

GEB

Wow, 58 you were on the show as a kid. That is awsome. This is pretty cool to hear about that on TMZ. Thanks for sharing that. Those games looked like alot of fun.

Deb

Bozo dying brings back flashbacks.....Was on the show twice with my kids....lots of fun.....rip......

As a child I'd watch Bozo with my older cousin Alicia. We were more like sisters than cousins since our mom lived with her sister after they both divorced. She was 9 1/2 and I was 8 years old. We loved all his games so much we would throw Bozo carnivals on our front lawn with all the games, lemonade, popcorn stand, and gumball as well! We'd ride our bikes and post flyers on every pole in Glenview, IL. between the 1972-1973 year and throw carnivals every other weekend in seemed! We had games such as the bean bag toss and popping balloons etc...We'd get a tickets rolls and sell them for each contest and they'd be all the games we could do that he had on his show! Lots of gum balls too of course, wouldn't have been the same without those! We'd have huge crowds of kids and even some parents would come to our lawn as we'd play. Bozo was so popular in Chicago suburbs back then! Kids all loved the games and we loved Bozo! My 3 favorite clowns I've now lost, Red Skelton, my grandfather "Zadie", and now Bozo. I've been blessed with wonderful times with all 3, but I never had the opportunity to meet Bozo, like I did my Zadie (means grandfather) and Red Skelton. It's always sad when the world looses a clown and the best are now in heaven. His shows though brought smiles and laughter to many kids but he brought so much joy and fun to our lives! He will always be in our hearts and his shows and game contests as well as our carnivals will live on in our memories! Thanks Larry and the rest of the Bozo's for bring joy and memories to children that loved Bozo as well! Rest in peace and God Bless Larry!

Rock Singer

Will be missed.... Always Clowning around... RIP

DANA WHALEY

THATS SAD I LOVED BOZO I GREW UP WATCHING BOZO THE CLOWN. I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE ON THAT SHOW BUT NEVER MADE IT. REST IN PEACE BOZO WE WILL MISS YOU!

lindsay

that picture is gonna give me nightmares for months!!!

Chris From NJ

I use to run home at from school at lunchtime to watch bozo and that was like in the late 60's..
God those were the days..

Media whores

I heard they are burying his balls in bucket #3

Kitty Carlisle

I liked watching the local Bozo-out of Boston-Frank Avrusch, when I was a kid...but, generally speaking, clowns are scary to me

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments