Mormons Slam Calendar's Missionary Position

7/10/2008 3:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Who knew a bunch of shirtless Mormon hunks could lead to so much drama?! Don't get your magic underwear in a bunch!
Mormon Docs: Click to read
TMZ has obtained a letter sent to Chad Hardy, the Mormon creator of the steamy Men on a Mission calendar, by the LDS church -- threatening disfellowship or excommunication for "conduct unbecoming a member." Coincidence? Chad thinks not.

Hot Mormons: Click to launchHardy tells TMZ he believes he's being targeted for the 12-monther -- but admits he doesn't attend church meetings or pay his tithing. He also believes his repentance will include closing up shop on the calendar, which he ain't ready to do. Save me Joseph Smith!

For their part the Church refuses to comment on the whole thing, "out of respect for the member himself."

We're guessing they won't like his next idea either -- Mormon Muffins: A Taste of Motherhood.

UPDATE: On July 13, Chad Hardy was officially excommunicated for "conduct unbecoming a member of the church."

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Brenda

I just looked up cult and it sounds exactly like the Mormon "church."

Brenda

Maggie, and while you are in church, they are laughing behind your back while they take your money. But, I guess it doesn't take much to please a cig smoking, tattooed, Mormon- loving weirdo does it?

Big Bear

The Marmon Church should just get over it and chill. What is the big deal??

Dot

I was married to a man who called himself two things a "jack Morman" or an "ethnic Morman." I assumed the jack Morman meant he no longer followed the religion. The ethnic Morman part came from the fact that his paternal side of the family were traced back to the 1830s or thereabouts. His great, great grandfather (I hope I have enough greats) wrote a diary of their terrible trip from Nauvoo, Illinois, to Utah. Some of the books survived as family treasures. I heard the stories of the hardships of the trip. While pregnant, my ex-husband's great great grandmother told her husband she was too sick & could not go on and left the wagon to go out on the prairie to die. Her husband lie beside her. The diaries tell of how some Indians came and treated the female who was sick from (I think) a fever. Husband and wife were able to rejoin the wagon group to Utah. My ex was from the blood line of the first wife.....there were others once they arrived in Utah. Still the story was fascinating --- how many of us have diaries from our ancestors?

My ex's mother (once excommunicated now back in the fold completely) came to visit us in St. Louis and we drove to Nauvoo, IL to see the visitor's center. It meant a lot for his mom to see it. Now his father had been long divorced from my es's mom and went from church elder to an athiest. Big switch, eh? He had PHDs in religion & other subjects. He had fought for our country as a Marine. I don't know if war or the dissolution of his temple marriage - or both - that made him lose all faith. He passed away after I divorced his son and as a Christian, I prayed for his soul.

When my ex's mother was divorced, no job skills and left with five kids, the LDS church fed them and paid all their bills.

The local LDS church came to us not long after my husband moved to my city from Ogden, Utah. They truly are warm and loving. Some young men from the church road bikes to my home and helped my husband landscape our yard...back breaking work during a St. Louis August. I got "schooled" by the home teachers and I never wanted to insult them by telling him I found the story of J. Smith getting the Book of Morman from an angel and the whole nine yards to be impossible for me to believe. I kinda wanted to join just because they were such a "happy family" and I can see how my need to "belong" could make me easily swayed to their church. Visiting my in-laws in Utah was wonderful and, again, I seriously considered moving there to be close to them. (Had Utah been a warmer climate state, this story might have a different ending.) --- Then once I asked "Why don't women have more say in the church? Can women hold positions of power alongside men." Oh my Lord! You'd think I had said (ala my fav comic, Kathy Griffin) "Suck it Jesus!" The room got quiet and then my mom-in-law said something about they had some club for the woman and all the ladies enjoy one another's company in that fashion - leaving the running of the church to the men. In other words, women are submissives -- like many other churches. I'm a femanist (to a point) so I had to turn away any thoughts of joining this "happy family" of Mormons.

I don't believe what they believe. (I wish I could remember some of the oddities my ex-husband told me -- something about Jesus once had returned to South America or something. He once was a member in good standing so he told me a lot of things.) Still, I will always have a warm place in my heart for the Mormans. I've been divorced from my ex for many, many years but the kindess and warmth of my ex (he is a good man, we just were not a good couple) and his wonderful family will stay with me until I die. I do not belong to any organized church, yet I'm a Christian. I am too independent, I guess. But if members of whatever church have rules that make them feel closer to their version of God....you go, folks! (Unless your church preaches hate....then I've got a problem with you) We're all trying to get to the same place. We just take different roads. I loved my ex's family: the Mormans, the "jack" Mormans and those who had lost faith entirely. I am not here to judge. If the Morman Church disapproves of their young men creating a calendar that is geared toward the overtly sexual, well, I think many churches would feel the same way.

One reason I cannot join an organzied religion is because I think that many of them are hypocritical. So I take the good things I can from various faiths. The warmth and kindess I found in Utah during my visits will always remain as something I took from the Mormans.

Turandot

They should have just posed in their sacred mormon underwear. Those togs make anybody look HAWT !

Katy

I, for one, am embarrassed. The "men" in the calendar and the "man" that made the calendar are clearly not true mormons. I don't think they should be looked at even as men, nor men of God, but rather as low-lifes. Do something worth your time on this earth.

Katy

"LSD that's the religion for me" ... this world would be a better place with out you, clearly.

Lil miss

So... for the record,I was raised LDS, I have chosen a life that is MORE spiritually based and centered for my own reasons! Chad Hardy the creator of the calendar and I brainstormed this idea way before it was physically MANIFESTED!!! Chad is one of my closest and cherished friends! He is creative and searches for a way to bring union to a people who have for way too long, DIVIDED themselves!! This was the idea that was born out of that intention!!!
Religion in itself has been the cause for much suffering and unnecessary violence in the world as a whole!!! Throughout time!!! I hope I live to see the day where ORGANIZED RELIGION no longer exists and we all realize that we are and always will be every minute of every day SPIRITUAL beings having an earthly momentary experience!! That no one is separate, we are all connected and when that happens we all will be living the spiritually connected lives that unite not divide! Let's usher in the end of FEAR based living!!!!

OhCanada

WOW! Some sick freek actually posted something that I did not write and put it under my online monicker! Just so you all know post # 174 was NOT written by me-OhCanada! Hmm..I think it is safe to say I touched a nerve with someone! Obviously I am correct in my assessment of some of you and somebody didn't like the mirror I was holding! Grow up-if you dont have the BALLS to use your OWN name and not try and use someone elses, then you are a MORE pathetic waste of sperm and egg than I thought!

Busted up chairs

The reason he was excommunicated wasn't because of the premise of the calendar but because he showed that LDS members have nipples. You check your sexual traits in at the door once you're baptized.

marla

I find it interesting that there this many people passing judgment one way or another. Any church has the right to counsel their members and the members have the right to decide if they will follow that counsel. The Lds Church cousels it's members to uphold clean morals and values. That calander is not something that displays morality. I think there is more to his ex-communication than just the calander. This is a man whom at one time made covenants (promises) to live according to the teachings of christ. i know this because if he served as a fultime missionary (like he admits to) than he made those conevants by his own choice as it is a requirement in order to serve the lord. It's better to have never made those promises than to make them and then not keep your word. Neither you nor I were in his counsel so we don't know what all is entailed here but i wont judge him and others shouldnt judge the church leadres for their decisions.

Yar

What clean morals are these, exactly? The Marriott Hotel chain is owned by the Marriotts who are LDS. They have absolute say over what is and is not provided at their hotels. The majority of their income is made off of alcohol and X rated movies yet they have never been brought up for a disciplinary council. Money talks when it comes to the morals enforced by church leadership.

John Fraschilla

Funny Mr. Wilcox how you forgot the small problem with your church in which you preach that African Americans and others of color are burned in Hell and therefore are marked as such in life... Or at least that was the case until the NAACP breathed down the churches neck only to have the leader of the church to suddenly have a "Revelation" that this is not the case... but its funny how BYU only has one or two black guys on their basketball team every year and even a less proportion of black football players... I guess its just coincidence right... The mormon church is just as biased and two faced as any organization, and maybe even worse because they preach one thing and act another way.

Candy Girl

WAIT A SECOND! 183. Thinks LSD is the religion for her! One time I wanted to go on a mission so I took some LDS and instead I went on a trip and took some LSD. That must have happened to her too!

Kimball Parker

Not that TMZ has a respected reputation in the first place, but phrases such as "magic underwear" and "Save me Joseph Smith" are laughably ignorant. Any half-way educated person knows that Mormons do not worship Joseph Smith and do not believe in "magic underwear." This serves as a strong indicator of the IQ of TMZ and it's readership.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12