Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

Lenn K.

Just loved the hell out of her. RIP Estelle, God bless ya!

2095 days ago

jennay2006

Picture it ....Sicily...1929...!!!!

Rest in Peace Estelle. Thanks for the laughs and you will be missed dearly!

2095 days ago

M

LOVE HER!! when i was little i was shocked to find out she really wasn't 85 years old on the GG's! great hair and makeup ;)

we love you ms. estelle getty! RIP

2095 days ago

Nick

RE: 39. I hope she was able to take her purse with her to heaven. Thanks for all the laughs. I miss you already...
Posted at 1:41PM on Jul 22nd 2008 by learningat50

X2

2095 days ago

Maria

Awww Sofia! Rest in peace, love. Thank you for all the laughs!

2095 days ago

John Denver Rules

She was by far the funniest on the show, what a loss.

2095 days ago

Emily Joy

I loved Sophia too! Estelle will be greatly missed. Thank you for being a friend!

btw, its nice to see us all come together to remember someone instead of bashing someone...just once in a while!

2095 days ago

Lizzy

Estelle, I will always remember our laughs behind the curtain on tape days!

You are one class act that I will always remember with respect and fondness.

R.I.P. in peace lady!

Lol!!

2094 days ago

Dave the plumber

Maybe some where down the road what Estell's family has gone thru will make a wonderfully warm story that those of us who have Frontal temporal Lobe disease in the family will enjoy. My M in L was the spitting image of Ms. Getty both physically and behavior.

2094 days ago

Danielle

"Picture it, Sicily, 1929." I am so saddened by the news, I am a huge fan of the Golden Girls, this is a sad sad day. :o(

2094 days ago

P-Type

R.I.P- Missed but never forgotten.

2094 days ago

Kitty Hess

The Golden Girls has definatley gotten me through alot in my life. Sophia is now with Sal. Picture it 2008 an older olive skinned girl parts ways from the only world she has ever know to go heaven. God bless.

2094 days ago

john

This lady made me laugh ever since I could remember. I would sit and watch her with my grandmom. She passed away and I always watched Estelle make her jokes on Golden Girls and she would make me think of my grandmom. God Bless You Estelle and your family at this difficult time. God Bless All.

2094 days ago

HelloDanny

"May you rest in peace until I get there."

"Didn't you tip the Guy?"

2094 days ago

madamebutterfly

Rest in Peace- SOPHIA! U WILL B MISSED !

2094 days ago