Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

gazoo

I watch GG every night, and have watched every night for years, like 6 or 7 years. Yeah, I know I've likely seen each episode a hundred times or so, but quite honestly, it's become my 'comfort' show. I watch before bed. No matter what happened during the day it was always made better by the Golden Girls. That said Ms. Getty was the light that streamed into my living room. She played that role like she was made for it. I can't imagine anyone being funnier, more on the mark than Ms. Getty. Her facial expressions, her gestures...all of it was genius. She couldn't be more perfect. The fact she was so perfect astounds me. Absolutely astounds me.

Thank you Ms. Getty. You gave so much more than we could ever return.

To Ms. Getty's family, thank you for sharing her with us. I am so sorry that her last years were so painful and scary, she certainly didn't deserve to live that way, but I'm thankful she no longer suffers as she did. I pray you'll find the strength to live your lives without such a spirit as Ms. Getty.

Thanks Sophia you 84 year old mattress!

angel41593

Going to miss Estelle. R.I.P
She was the wisest of them all and my personal favourite on Golden Girls. Sophia was awesome with her trademark purse, her cute run/jog and "picture it" stories. Thanks for making me laugh and for all the good times. You"re definitley one of a kind!

Rob

I am so sad. R.I.P Estelle. You are missed already!

Bandolero

She left more than foot prints in the mud.

Caroline

Estelle will be missed....i grew up having sleepovers and watching the golden girls......i am deeply saddened by her passing....she can always put a smile on anyones gloomy day just by watching her quick wit on the golden girls. Her life will be forever celebrated....God Bless..

Amy

I use to watch Golden Girls every day after school with my mother. Thanks for the great memories Estelle. May you rest in peace and live on in our hearts.

anonymous

I got a lump in my throat when I heard this and especially the way she lived the last few years,I didn't know shw was so ill... RIP Estelle, I still watch the golden girls on cable they were hilarious.

wasting time

I loved her, even never having met her. She had a special way of reaching out to people through her character. You just don't see talent like that anymore. She was a genuine human being and so dang funny.There is laughter in Heaven today for sure. I don't care how old you are, Golden Girls is hilarious!! Kudos to Lifetime for airing it 6 times a day! For all of you true fans, you should definitely check out her web page...estellegetty.com Very touching. God Bless Her!!

lmk1979

R.I.P. Estelle..... Thanks for all the laughs over the years. You will be missed!!!

Jimmie

Thank you for being our friend may you rest in peace now

debbie

she makes me laugh everyday
sophia will live on!
i love you estelle
R.I.P.

Larryb

Rest in peace baby. YOU WERE THE BEST

OldStyleGal

I Loved Estelle as Sofia from The Golden Girls she always made me laugh.ILoved her.When I saw her I whiched that she was my grandmother.

R.I.P. Estelle I'll miss you

frankfes

ESTELLE GETTY LIVED A GOLDEN AGE OF 84..
THANKYOU FOR BEING A FRIEND!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P.

herho

I'm very, very sad but I hope to meet You again in Heaven. I love You.