Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

shaw

I loved the Golden Girls growing up . Ms Getty was my fav on the show . RIP .. you are loved and will be missed

Brattus Rattus

I never thought it would happen on TMZ. Not one single nasty post. That should tell the world how much this lady was loved.

Estelle was a gem and I feel so lucky that I was able to laugh with her during her movies and TV show.

Emilyy

I'm twenty years old and have been watching the rerun s of this show for yyears. I watch this show on lifetime every morning and every night and If there family of estelle is reading this. I'm sorry and my condolenses go out to you. This show is a part of my everyday life and has cheered me up on my bad days and hearing this made me sad. What a wonderful actress! I'm honored to watch her every day on the golden girls!

Picture it..

Well

I tried to think of a quote that would be my favorite. But not possible as she was soo great there could never be just one. May she rest in peace and her family take comfort in knowing that the whole world loved her. That says a lot.

We will miss you Estelle. Thank you for being alive and allowing us to share your world.

jenn

im sooo sad, she looks just like my grandmother who is suffering the same illness. God bless you ms.getty, sophia petrillo will always live in my heart!

sandy

Thank you for the laughter...........

Cyndi

It is difficult to see our "friends" grow older and pass on, when their great talent remains frozen in time and still entertains us daily in syndication...but I'm sure Estelle would make some sort of wisecrack at the idea of us all wallowing in sadness at her death, when she lived her life to make us laugh. Her remarkable gift of humor and one in a million ability to insinuate her character into our hearts and homes will live on forever. The Golden Girls transend time, and those four women made history on television, in great part due to Sophia's howlermonkey, "in your face" attitude. Estelle, thanks for being a friend!

lukebandit

now sophia can be with her sal, her son phil, george and charlie. ms. getty, God Bless You and your family during this difficult time. to a wonderful comedic actress who made us all laugh until sometimes we cried.

Dainelle

To one of the greatest actresses of our time, may you live forever in our hearts and always making us laugh on the screen. R.I.P Estelle Getty

Star

I read that none of the 3 golden girls went to her funeral. That is so strange does anyonw know why? Thats really sad actually

Madeline

She was such a good actress and very funny. Great show, I love all the reruns. This show has the best humor in it. imo Estelle Getty played the Scilian Mother role perfectly. She will be missed.

Jessica

I was really hurt about this. She will be truly missed. RIP

Jasin Rivers

did she ever pose for play boy?

saquiny

It's is so funny,....it was my grandmother that had only one television at the time, so i had no choice but to watch Golden Girls, but i feel in love w/ the show. i was 17 yrs old then.

I cried for 30 mins when i heard Estelle Getty, had passed away...she reminds me of my wonderful grandma.
my daughter is 17 and she watch the Golden Girls, we still get great laughs.
My heart is broken...i feel sad even now just thinking about Mrs. getty.
WHAT A TRUE LADY, YOU WILL BE MISSED
ESTELLE, I HOPE YOU MADE GOD LAUGH.....YOU ARE LOVED

MY DAUGHTER AND I WILL ALWAYS BE G-G'S

Karla

I still watch the Golden Girls every night. Estelle you were a beautiful lady 'people are going to miss you very much.