Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

chinahater

Picture it, Sicily 2008....I left all my friends but I will always be remembered. Thank you for being my friends!!!!

Susan

I LOVE The Golden GIrls! She was awesome as Sophia. Thank you for the many years of laughter! RIP.

Ace128

she was so cute and funny on Golden Girls. she will be missed.

hora

i loved the golden girls. my prayers are with her family.

Meri

Loved this dear lady.Golden Girls with the four special women is a Classic. Just watching the show,makes a person feel
good. I will miss her. Rest In Peace,Estelle.

Carolina Girl

It definitely says a lot about her character and integrity that all of the comments have been so positive, even here where they can get so nasty!! RIP, you will be missed!

jalynn

I grew up watching Golden Girls, and now my two children love watching the reruns. Sophia is our favorite GG character. Estelle gave us a lot of laughs over the years. May she now rest in peace.

Sabina

Picture it, Sicily....... That is all. :(

Vicki in Canada

God bless her! She was a marvelous actress struck down by a most terrible affliction and now she's where her mind is once again her own.
Mozeltov.....Rest In Peace.

U Go Girl!!!

What a fantastic actress & a classy lady. They just don't make them like that anymore! Her comedic timing was amazing. What a gift you were Estelle! God Bless You for the joy you brought to so many people. RIP.

natboo401

"Picture it..."
RIP Sophia... you made the show!!

justsharon

THANK YOU FOR BEING EVERYONES FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!! MAY YOU REST IN PEACE,ESTELL,THE WORLD WILL KEEP ON WATCHING YOU AND THE GIRLS IN RERUNS,I HOPE YOU KIDS ,KNOW HOW LUCKY THEY WERE AND THANK THEM FOR LETTING THE WORLD BORROW YOU ALL THESE YEARS,KEEP THE GOOD CLEAN COMEDY GOING IN HEAVEN..................

DY

"Picture this, Sicily 1952..."

Jatti

I'm very sad to hear this news. Sophia Petrillo was one of the best characters on tv. She will be missed. A true talent. "Picture it Sicilly."

justin

I have to say I've been waiting for this for a while too; she has been suffering for quite some time. I was a truly great woman and fought a lot for equal civil rights in her time. She will be missed. God bless you Estelle