Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

JennInDC

Loved her! She had a long, wonderful life and career!

Holly

God be with her - what a sweet woman she was

A

Loved her!! Rest in peace, Estelle!

Melissa

Awww that is so sad. She was such a great person and loved her as Sophia

kane

RIP SOPHIA!!! We love you!!!

TMC

We will miss you Estelle! You're the only reason why we watched the Golden Girls!!!

joan

Oh this woman will be missed like no -other. Til this day I still love the show and probably always will. The mother daughter relationship was unbelieveable, and the chemistry between Sophia and Dorothy was great. She will be miss so much, My families thought and prayers are with her family. Thank You Sophia Petrillo for being you.

karen

God Bless . Rest in peace

tracy

OMG Im so sad to hear this. I watched the show for years and still do when its on lifetime. My hubby would always joke that I had a sophia purse. I cant believe she died. I guess its for the best, its hard seeing your loved one live with the disease she had and living thru it yourself. God bless her family and her friends.

S.L.Wheeler

I was so shocked to read that u have passed on, We (my family) send our condolences to your families, (both personal and tv) and will continue to honor you and your legacy by watching you on "Golden Girls"!! Your mind and heart is at peace and you can now sleep your beautiful blue eyes eternally with the Lord.

Rest In Peace, Estelle!!

HeTouchedMyHeart

THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND............you will sorely be missed by all who love you. RIP.

S.L.Wheeler

Bless ur heart and may u fly with the angels.

Picture this: 2008, you are with the lord and celebrating your birthday with him.

Rest In Peace!!

K'S GIRL

She was too funny she made the golden girls look great

Liz

I have grown up watching the Golden Girls and knowing that I can always turn to my four 'friends' when I want is very reassuring. Estelle's performance as Sophia was pure genius; from her wise cracks about Stan's baldness to her more endearing qualities of being a good friend and mother.

I never got the opportunity to meet Estelle, but she will always be considered my third grandma.

rosie

Although all the women on "Golden Girls" were wonderful, Estelle Getty was the best. The verbal sparing between her and Bea Arthur was priceless. Picture this! Sicily, 1922....what a wonderfully talented and funny lady! God bless you estelle!