Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

Reine

She was great actress & felt sad when I learnt she had dementia from her co-hosts.

waa waa cry babies

#58.....Lewy Body Dementia is the 2nd most common form of dementia, but not many know about it, even doctors. My mom was just diagnosed with this terrible disease in June. The person with LBD shows symptoms of Parksinsons as well as Alzheimer's. It is horribly debilitating, causing those who suffer to lose their memory, suffer hallucinations and eventually not be able to care for themselves. My mom has gone from someone that I used to talk to on a daily basis to someone who recognizes me, but doesn't remember my name. I am very sorry that Ms. Getty has passed from this. I hope that she and her family are at peace now.

Scott

We are all so lucky to have experienced Estelle's brilliance, as will millions of people to come, thanks to "Golden Girls" DVDs and repeats. Estelle was also a kind and compassionate human being who was undoubtedly loved and treasured by her friends and family. God bless you, Estelle. Sincerest condolences to your loved ones.

laura

“Thanks for the Medicare,
For Blue Cross and Blue Shield
The hip that finally healed
Remember on prescriptions,
Generics are a steal,
We thank you so much...”

RIP SOPHIA!

Mandie

What a sad day in TV history. Always missed but never forgotten. Goodbye Ma! :(

Dan The Man

I've been worrying about this day ever since I heard of "Sopha's" illness; and that day has come. God rest her soul. What a great person, making people laugh while always maintaining her positive persona. She will be missed dearly by me aone, who just got done watching an episode of The Golden Girls. I love you Estelle! We all do... in closing, in the wise words of Sophia, "I've said it before and I'll say it again... SLUTS JUST HEAL QUICKA!" -Dan

Courtney

God Bless you Sophia, and your family! My mother has Huntington's Chorea and I know what it's like to have a family member with dementia...You are in a better place and we will miss you so!

Let it Be

Thank you for being our friend, too.

onry13

She will be greatly missed. Hugs and thoughts to her family

rminva

I've seen every episode of GG several times over...and still watch it when I can on Lifetime. My mom passed away several years ago, but I often "heard" her in many of Sophia's wisecracks. I suppose that's part of the reason I still watch! You saw members of your own family in those characters.

You will be missed Estelle!

J

"Picture it....Heaven 2008.........."
RIP

Bally

Oh man, RIP. I LOVE the Golden Girls. Great actress. :(

Zzzzz......

I'm so glad to see all these people saying nice things about this lady!!!!!! She was awesome and I love the GG's. RIP

Larue

I still watch the Golden Girls a couple times a week. Estelle, you've made so many of us laugh and we'll never forget you.

Much love to her family and co-stars who are no doubt devastated.

jmo

My mom loved that show. Sadly, she passed away with the same condition. It was devastating to lose her to such a terrible disease. My mother didn’t know us any more, and she suffered so. My deepest sympathy to the family. Estelle’s in a better place now. RIP...finally.