Estelle Getty: Thank You For Being Alive

7/22/2008 2:29 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Golden Girl" Estelle Getty has gone to the big lanai in the sky and died at the age of 84, just three days shy of her 85th birthday.

Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.

Although one year younger than Bea Arthur, Estelle is best known for playing her wise-cracking Sicilian mother Sophia Petrillo on "The Golden Girls." Co-star Betty White is also one year older than Estelle.

Getty is survived by her two adult sons.

Old Chicks: Click to view gallery!

Cheetah

So sad to hear of Estelle's passing - she will live on forever through all the Golden Girls DVD's - I hope Lifetime has a Golden Girls Marathon in honor of her.
Her wisecracks are the best.
We will all miss you Estelle!!!

penpen72

It was Sicily 1927.... :-) I'll miss ya Estelle!

noitall

Estelle's comedic talent and timing was in a class by itself...Watching The Golden Girls you were transported away from life's problems and into an hysterical half hour of pure delight!!!

Thank you, Estelle!

What does everyone see in this idiot?

God Bless her for bringing so much laughter and love to our hearts over the years. Loved her on GG and Stop, Or My Mom will Shot! May you be in peace and our deepest sympathy goes out to her family and to her TV family!. She will never be forgotten.

sandyduncansglasseye

#45, yes Dorothy did say that. I wasnt implying Sophia did. I found that line very sad when Dorothy left, and I thought it was an appropriate thing to say, as a feel they are my sisters, too. And now one is gone.

aqualung

NO ONE could have pulled off that role like estelle did.

"ENOUGH WITH THE WICKER" !!!!

j. dongu

Thank you, Estelle, for all the joy you gave and still give to me every morning watching the reruns on Lifetime.

Sean

I'm so going to miss Sophia. I neve knew that Bea Arthur was older than her. RIP.

JKW

One of the best, if not the best sitcom ever!! So many wonderful comments and remembrances from the show...my favorite was when Sophia was acting up and Dorothy would say, "Shady Pines, Ma"....Sophia's reactions were priceless. My dear Mother is gone going on 8 years. When she was being silly, to crack her up I'd say, "Shady Pines, Ma"...what great memories. Thank God they are both no longer suffering but enjoying our laughter. Go with God Estelle. My prayers are with you and your family.

Mikah4tmz

OMG! That news made me so sad! The Golden Girls is my favorite show of all time. I watch it religiously and it always makes me laugh. That show wouldn't have been the same without ANY of them, but especially Estelle Getty. RIP Sopia.

lukebandit

Sophia: Spphia can finally be with her Sal and her son Phil. and the old mean tree lady.
Ms. Getty: God Bless you and your family. Rest in Peace.

my sincerest condolences,
teresa

southern girl

Blanche "My life is an open book."
Sophia "Your life is an open blouse."

They don't make sitcoms like that anymore.

Goodbye Golden Girl, you will be missed. RIP

Bobbar

Stop, or my mom will shoot!!!

viciouslindz

exceptional actress....loved to watch her on the golden girls in the 80's with my grandmother and still do today...god bless!

Toni Bueno

We will miss you Estelle, your contributed so much laughter to this world and made it a better place. GODSPEED...
Love