Novak: All Things Considered, I Screwed Up

7/23/2008 1:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Robert NovakTMZ just spoke with Robert Novak, and one thing is clear: National Public Radio can be hazardous to pedestrians, especially the one he mowed down in D.C. this morning.

Novak tells us he was listening to "Morning Edition" on NPR in his Corvette when suddenly, "Some guy came up and hit my car with his fist. I figured I had done something that had created road rage, but I didn't know what it was. Then a bicyclist blocked the road in front of me. I asked what the problem was. He said, 'You can't just hit people and run away!'"

Novak says the cops came, put him "briefly" in the back of the police car and asked about what he heard at the time of impact. Novak told them and us that he didn't hear or feel anything. They asked if he had been drinking or on a cellphone. He answered "no" to both.

Novak, who was citied for failing to yield, says he won't fight the ticket, adding, "I assume witnesses are telling the truth."

And we asked him about his comments back in 2001 -- that he hates jaywalkers and thought about running them over. He responded, "I've said a lot of things I shouldn't have said."

As for reports that he's an aggressive driver, he says, "I'm 77 years old. I'm not aggressive anymore."

And finally, driving a Vette? "I've been driving Corvettes since 1961." Ride on.

Angry Democrat 'Sky Blu' from LMFAO attack GOP Romney on Purpose .

Off to Gitmo with this loser. Revealing CIA operatives wasn't enough
-----------------------------------------------------
The Only Anti-American is Joe Wilson , who's Only enemy is Non-Democrats rather than al-qaeda. Joe Wilson is a Socialist with a one track Agenda

brian scott miller

Robert Novak is an Angry old fool who use to be an Angry young fool. Frank Zappa showed him for what he really is:
A self centered opportunist with delusions of grander.

Angry Democrat 'Sky Blu' from LMFAO attack GOP Romney on Purpose .

Joe Wilson Lied (For a Political Agenda , he is anti-non democrat) and he is the one that should be serving time in Prison.

gary gierloff

could'nt happen to a nicer guy. what a right wing douchbag.

amaaazed

Hey dummy - thunk is a word. Look it up. Webster says it's a flat hollow sound.

jolee

hey if it was just a bicylist he hit on the streets of washington dc
he should get the medal of honor because everyone who drives in dc would love to hit a few of those jerks

nena

If you don't realize you have hit someone with your car, perhaps it's time to give up the wheel. You knew exactly what you were doing when you gave up Val's name, and I bet you knew exactly what you did to the pedestrian....playing dumb is a hand that has served you well hasn't it?

capitolhill

Novak is one of the biggest asses in all of DC. I wouldn't doubt he knew what he did and just drove on. He thinks he is above the law. Wish they would have locked him up.

Ida Clair

Witnesses are saying the victim was sprawled across the windshield.

How do you not notice something like that????

LIAR

ComeOn

Won't fight the TICKET? Why are we not talking about prison? Fleeing the scene is a felony. Novak's contemptible-if-true claim that he didn't realize he hit anyone would be beside the point were he not a televised millionaire who'd already gotten away with outing a covert agent.

Chuck

This man has far too many powerful political friends to allow him to be treated like an ordinary citizen in this case. Enough said.

Andrea

Roughly 3 years ago, Novak jaywalked right in front of me at the corner of 17th and L Streets as he was walking north and I was driving east in the far left lane of L. I remember how bold and aggressively-moving he seemed at the time, but maybe he was just oblivious.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2