Simmons Shocks Congress With No Shorts

7/24/2008 1:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Richard Simmons went to speak in front Congress today, but forget the words coming out of his mouth, Mista is actually wearing a suit! You bettah work!

Simmons talked to us about his pet project -- preventing childhood obesity -- and also discussed possibly running for office. Don't fret, the Bedazzler wasn't too far behind. Richie said his infamous shorts were on underneath the Brooks Brothers ensemble.

lcd1023

I think he would be an excellent candidate, he genuinely cares about people.

Lori

I say GO RICHARD! We NEED people in politics who actually CARE about others!

Frankie

I love Richard Simmons....he isn't afraid to be his crazy, flamboyant self. Go Boy!!

loika

So I laughed when I read this (because it is not your typical Paris/Nicole/Lindsay etc drivel (thanks for that!) but WHY didn't the camera SHOW us that he had regular pants on???? Wasn't that the POINT!?

Rammer

I think your writers need to take some sort of writing classes...Richard Simmons went to speak in front Congress today: You forgot to type of in front of congress dddaahhh I work for TMZ and I am a writer with no education.

cjs

Yes kids DO need to exercise. GO RICHARD !!!!

wewearshort-shorts

Go Richard! I would vote him into office, specifically for the reason that poster #1 pointed out-he genuinly cares about people. Who cares if he is flamboyant and a little "out there"? At least he's not one of those stuffy old political officials that are probably closet-cases...at least he puts himself out there no matter what small minded people say about him.

I must admit though, it was a little weird seeing him in something other that his short-shorts!

Twinker

Never thought I would see him in a suit outside a coffin.

Joanne

There must be some kind of "award" to be given to Richard. He has helped so many to lose weight and as others have said, he really cares about people...

Twinker

No, RIchard Simmons would be the worst sort of "public servant" because he would make such things as sitting all day posting on tmz and eating donuts against the law.

Anyway, he would suffocate wearing a tie every day.

Richard is great. He needs to work on that Quacker Factory woman on QVC.

Twinker

He and Larry Craig could really work up a sweat to some toe tapping music.

mahlet

I loved watching the Richard simmons story on TMZ, it was very funny and refreshing to see a story about a star that is not a typically handsome or hot.

wjc

This dude looks like the bitter love child of Amadeus and Ronald McDonald.

Julie

How can you not love Richard Simmons????!!! He's been crazy and funny and wonderful for as far back as I can remember! He really DOES care about people and he's really been an inspiration for a lot of people. He looked very handsome in his suit, and I don't doubt for one minute that he had his short shorts on underneath :)