"Last Lecture" Professor Has Died

7/25/2008 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carnegie Mellon professor turned "Last Lecture" Internet sensation Randy Pausch has died. He was 47.

Last September, Pausch's "Last Lecture" speech -- which was actually called "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" -- became a viral phenomenon and was even retold in its entirety on Oprah.

Pausch had been battling pancreatic cancer and passed away early this morning. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Kim in Florida

My prayers are with his family......What a wonderful man who loved his family the way he did. My heart is sad for them today. I know his children will know one day what a truly remarkable and inspirational man their father was to so many people.

tracey

Rest In Peace
The World has lost another good person

Jessica Brylan

It is sad. Always the great people with the spirit to inspire are taken from us. I wrote a piece on him earlier this year and I really got into that "Last Lecture." I'm sorry to hear this news.

Faithful

What a hero! My prayers and thoughts go out to his family. His story has surely helped other families going through terminal illness. We should all be so classy and dignified without any trace of superiority.

Cherry Cola

Ah yes #11 Steffen. I wondered when an A-HOLE would show up and there you are in all your glory.

Pamela

This is the saddest news that I have heard in a long time. Mr. Pausch was truly an inspiration to me and my family. He will be missed dearly by everyone who's lives he touched. And a big thank you to TMZ for not making its normal jokes about someone passing away.

Mari

I read his book and was glued to anything on TV with him. My blessings and prayers go out to Jai, Dylan, Logan & Chloe. They will rise to the occasion and will carry on his legacy!

michelle

May you RIP. My prayers and thoughts are with your family. You were such an inspiration. You will never be forgotten..

Cherry Cola

Oops sorry #11. My previous post was for #12. My apologies.

Soo

This man was an inspiration to anyone and everyone who listened to his words. May God be with his family.

Aunt Kiki

He truly was an inspiration! RIP RANDY!!! My sincerest sypmathies to his family and friends!!!!

Kathy

That is awful.
He gave so much hope.
God bless him...

texgirl

What a loss, his book truly touched so many people. As someone who lost a parent at a very young age,what he has done to preserve his memory for his children is a true gift for them. We were also the lucky beneficiaries, I hope that his family can take some comfort in knowing how Randy impacted so many people.

J Staires

WHAT a phenomenal human being. HIS life and what he stood for in every aspect is what society should consist of. He was and will remain such a prime example for mankind. His wife is heroic and I honor her and their children will carry his legacy through them forever. I suspect one or all of them will grow into the same type of adult their father was, is and always will be. I'm blessed, moved and changed forever as a result of following him and his story. God bless him and his family.

Jim S

What a shame - this dude contributed so much and dies young, gets compatively little press

Worthless folks like Hilton and Kardashian contribute nothing, exist solely for themselves and yet they get a lot of press