"Last Lecture" Professor Has Died

7/25/2008 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carnegie Mellon professor turned "Last Lecture" Internet sensation Randy Pausch has died. He was 47.

Last September, Pausch's "Last Lecture" speech -- which was actually called "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" -- became a viral phenomenon and was even retold in its entirety on Oprah.

Pausch had been battling pancreatic cancer and passed away early this morning. He is survived by his wife and three children.

Bunk

I have also been following his blog. I had a bad feeling when he had not posted since the end of June.What a sad day. I also was hoping for a special recovery. My thoughts and love and prayers are with the family and children of this great and unique man. He was a wonderful teacher and man. We all feel the loss.

Kelli

I am so sad to hear this. He was an inspiration to my family as my Dad is still battling with Leaukemia. Dad was so impressed watching him and has looked at his illness and life differently. I am going to be heartbroken when I tell my Dad who is back in the hospital.

Crystal

I am so sadened by this news. This man was the most insiring man i have ever heard speak. My thoughts and preyers are with his family

pebbles313

I was very inspired by this man's strength, courage and wisdom. What impressed me most was that he never took on a desperate attitude. Which I must say he would've had every right to feel. But this still saddens my heart May God bless and keep your family, Rest In Peace.

tooncey

This was a tragedy. He was a great, honest, smart, wonderful, family man. The world has garbage like murderers, drug addicts, rapists, gangbagers, wife/child/animal abusers, etc. that live until old age, but just suck up resources and contribute nothing of value to this world at all.

The Billy Joel song is true....Only the good die young.

God Bless, Randy.

Jean

I'm just tearing up thinking about him. He was an inspiration to many.
I'm also glad that comments in here are very respectful.

lookin

So sad to read this. God bless the family . He was an inspiration. I truly am sad.

MsWaldo

A real Class Act! We need more people like him in this world. The wife and children were so blessed to have him in their lives and I'm sure he left a lasting impression on everyone that ever knew him or watched him on television. A great guy.....I will miss him being in this world just knowing he is not here anymore.

Susan

What an inspiration this man was. God Bless you Randy. You made a LOT of us think.

Becky

Having lost my mother in April, I bought his book for inspiration. I am sad, and heart-broken for him and his family to hear of his passing. My thoughts for all that knew and loved him.

cynthia

God sends us special people to our lives, and this gentle man was truly special, and the people he touched, are so much more blessed by hearhing his unselfish, honest and life altering speech. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of this courageous man who thought nothing of his suffering, and impending death, but of the impact it would have on his family.
May God bless you all and may you feel his arms around you in your moments of need and grief. You've lost a gem an we who never had the priviledge of knowing him share your losss

Karen

Godspeed Randy. May you rest in eternal peace. My prayers are for your loved ones left behind.

margaret

Randy Pausch did something that we all should wish we had the courage to do, and that was touch people with his special message to us. Who says that God does not exist, a big chunk of God existed in Randy Pausch. Instead of thinking of his passing as a loss, why can't we see that he was a gift. He fulfilled his life's goal by giving, to not just his family, colleagues and friends and everyone who knew him, but to the world,and to millions who have read his book, had seen him on "60 Minutes" and "Oprah," and online, HOPE! He gave us HOPE. If only we all could smile, find something to laugh about each day, be nice and complimentary to each other, maybe then we would have what he had - a great soul. Maybe we'd know that there is good in this world and stop complaining about the little stuff, and start working harder on our life's goal and giving, even in a small way, hope to someone else.

Kim K

My thoughts and prayers are with Randy's family. I lost my father at a young age and the kids are so blessed that they will be able to see what an awesome, kind and generous father they had. He didn't have to share this tragedy with us but he did and it will help us all to grow. I laughed, cried and watched in awe when I saw his speech at Carngie Mellon. I espically loved the time he spent with the steelers. I grew up near Pittsburgh and I can only imagine the thrill he felt being out their with those guys. God bless you. The world has lost a great person, I hope you meet up with my Dad Randy he was awesome.

Kim

lauren

Nothing can replace the loss that our world has suffered!! Randy was truely inspiring and my heart goes out to his wife and kids who will truely suffer the most.