Morgan Freeman Injured in Car Accident

8/4/2008 11:39 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned that Academy Award winning actor Morgan Freeman, 71, has been injured in a serious car accident in Mississippi.

Cops tell us the "Dark Knight" star was in a one car accident around 11:30 PM last night north of the small town of Ruleville. He was airlifted from the accident scene to a hospital in Memphis, Tenn. We're told alcohol is not suspected as a factor in the wreck, news of which was first reported by MediaTakeout.

Freeman's condition is unknown, but state troopers tell us he was talking at the scene before he was taken to the hospital. The condition of an unidentified female passenger in the car also is unknown.

Story developing ...

Victoria

Morgan Freeman...what an amazing man..........I pray he will be ok.

CHUCK

I REMEMBER WHEN MORGAN WAS ON THE ELECTRIC COMPANY BACK WHEN I WAS A KID ON CHANNEL 13. HE'S BENN AN INSPARATION TO MANY . OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU MR. FREEMAN HOPE YOUR OK . GREAT ACTOR!

twincitiesgal

i hope he's going to be alright. he's such a talented and well liked actor.

Tangie

Well if he was talking, it's not all that serious!

hahahaha

Get well Morgan Freeman. I think he is on the everyones list of favorites.

Kandy Hartsfield

I love Morgan! One of the best actors ever. Please heal quickly. My thoughts are with you!!

Concerned but Hopeful

OMG. I hope he's alright. He's been in some really great movies: Shawshank Redemption, Driving Miss Daisy, Se7en, Million Dollar Baby, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and on and on. He has a voice made for the movies. Good luck.

Cappuccino

Prayers and hugs Morgan, you are very beloved & have much more joy to give us all with your remarkable talent....ps forget the bucket list IT IS NOT TIME, couldnt resist giving ya a chuckle....rest & heal!

Audeo

I wonder if the "unidentified female passenger" was his granddaughter, Edina, who has been with him so often. My prayers to their family and friends.

beefcake

That was his cousin in the car with him. They are sleeping together. That's how they do it in Mississippi.

Sandy Hopkinson

Oh No! Mr. Freeman is one of the greatest actors of our time. My hopes and prayers are with him and his loved ones.
God worksin wonderous ways.

Tangie

He is a so-so actor. Not my cup of tea. Over exposed and over rated.

Cappuccino

Beefcakes, seriously what's with the demented comment and slamming Mississippi....ignorance is not a quality!

Margaret Elizabeth

Morgan Freeman is a very classy gentleman. Our thoughts are with him and wish him a very speedy recovery.

ck

Hope he's alright. Saw him live on Broadway in early June. He's a great actor!