L'Oreal/Beyonce

Whitewash

8/6/2008 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Unless she just got vitiligo -- L' Oreal has some serious splaining to do about its bleached out Beyonce ad!

0806_beyonce_side2side-1
The ad features a severely Photoshopped Beyonce -- almost unrecognizable. So the question ...

Tamu Debbie BeckwarD

Who Cares...She has never marched with Dr. King - to allow a company to lighten her for all the money she is getting - so what? She's in the business and it calls for all types of changes. I'm light skinned but very Black. Black is an attitude not a color and I don't know Baby B that well to judge. It is not against us - for many have and still are lightening themselves for the world. I think she looks better with the very dark look - she did it in DREAMGIRLS and I didn't here any fuss. P.S. My only concern, which is non of my business (smiling @U) with Lady B is that when she speaks on Holy Matters...weeelll, I just like the way Kelly dresses and the way she uses her Gift of singing.

Chuck

Is it a slap in the face to white people because a movie star was required to lay in the tanning bed for a particular role? Why doesn't L'Oreal choose a spokesperson with very light skin? Why not one with very dark skin. Most men regardless of race find VERY light or dark skinned women unattractive. That Carmel shade is to die for :)

anfernyq

cant say id blame her 4 comn ovr from the "dark" side

ttt

beyonce is overrated! there are lots of black women who are better looking than her.

JG

There is no trickery here. It is just an optical illusion like when they have two lines and they look like they are different but when you measure them they are the same. It is because she has blond hair......

Ok, L'Oreal is full of racists. What do you expect.

On a serious note, L'Oreal is trying to market to a specific market. White women who like Beyonce. There are a lot of them out there it is just they could have let her be just a tad darker.

Rose

It's incredibly racist. That saddest part of all this is what goes on everyday in this stereotypical industry we call entertainment.

paula

God wouldn't like most of the comments on here. Come on people !quit putting people down. God doesn't see color and neither should we. Live life and be happy with what you are.And never hurt anybody else.When we all start getting along ,the world will be a better place. The comments about the picture turned to a war of the racists.How sad that is !!

eRIC

I aggree, she looses beuty by doing this. She looks bulimic in the picture. Maybe the L'Oreal is doing a commercial for the "I look like Im starving look".

Bianca

To sum most of you guys' comments, I agree that this is a result of a lot of factors that take play. For instance, if you wanna talk race, we are all victims of a very racist and judgemental SOCIETY!! We are all guilty of it, even if you deny it in front of everyone. We are so easy to judge one another, and so easy to label everyone and categorize people. Sad part is I don't think this will change any time soon because in a way we do it maybe as a safe mechanism to protect ourselves. However, if you wanna talk about changing ourselves and photoshopping pictures, then the answer is very straight forward. The media is 100% to blame for our distorted image of ourselves. We are always being bombarded by numerous ads of beatiful women and handsome men that we start doubting our own beauty. It's no wonder there are soooo many disorders and people go out of their way to change their looks. So, to sum this up, don't blame TMZ, don't blame Beyonce, or races. Blame urselves. It's easier to point the finger at someone than to take blame.

vita

THE WHOLE POINT ABOUT HER BEING LIGHTER IN THE PICTURE IS BECAUSE HER HAIR IS BLONDISH LOOKING OR LIGHTBROWN DUHHHHHHHH .... HER SKIN COLOR IS MATCHING HER HAIR ..... BE SMART PEOPLE........... LIGHT SKIN AND LIGHT HAIR GO TOGETHER....... IMAGINE IF SMEONE HAD DA LIGHTEST PRETIEST HAIR DO U THINK A REALLY DARK PERSON WOULD LOOK GOOD WITH BLOND OR GOLDEN LOOKING HAIR! ITS NOT BEING RACIST OR NOTHING ABOUT DARK N WHITE AND ALL THAT IT JUST MAKES SENSE IT LOOKS NICE TOGETHER.

Gloria Palacios

Beyonce is a beautiful woman, no matter what color she is in. These are just ads, nothing more. I am a dark skinned woman and I am not offended. Give this beautiful woman a break! She is not trying to hide that she is black--so more power to her.

eRIC

Just like Michael Jackson, who sang It doesnt matter if you're Black or White?????

Nekesa

I do wonder why L'Oreal had to make her several shades lighter in the first place. Her original skin color is beautiful!! But not everyone thinks black is beautiful.

Cole

this is a really stupid. Cmon people - women with small breasts 'add breasts' on.. women with no butt 'add butt on', women with curly hair straighten it, women with regular lips plump them up.. women who are dark get lightened and lighter get darkened. It is BEAUTIFUL to celebrate our diversity and see the human body as a canvas and not a tool to argue racism or other prejudices. If I go out and tan (which I get really tan in the summer) would I be considered racist because I am sometimes mistaken for a Latina?

dallmmppeerr

Give it up tanning bed biz. With all these white trash WHos giving it up to the Bros everybody will be brown enough not to need you any more, soon. God this planet needs a good flushing. in 2yrs or less? Harvey I know your a lefty. But You go TMZ....

Previous 15 Comments | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments