L'Oréal: Get Réal

8/8/2008 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

BeyonceBeyonce, or L'Oréal for that matter, probably had no idea that an ad for hair color would cause so much controversy. I am an African-American woman and I work for TMZ. Yes, TMZ hires Black people.

I saw the new L'Oréal ad a few days ago, and it struck a nerve. There's still a stigma of Black celebs acting "too Black." This ad re-enforces that negative portrayal.

Why can't a powerful, talented African-American woman be celebrated for her natural beauty? L'Oréal claims they didn't change Beyonce's appearance, but who are they fooling? L'Oreal obviously wanted to make Beyonce look White.

The L'Oréal ad is disrespectful and dismissive to the Black community. And L'Oréal's explanation is lame.

My name is Nina and I approved (and wrote) this message.

getoveritalready

The race card gets played way too much. Anytime something is precieved negative, it's always because of someones color. Lame and getting f'''ing old!!! Will Jesse Jackson be releasing a comment soon in her defense?!!!! Geez...get a life lady.

Amanda

Beyonce is a light-skinned woman. Add professional photography lights to that, and you get an even lighter-skinned Beyonce. GET OVER YOURSELF!

jill

DOUBLE STANDARD!!!

WHY DON'T YOU TALK TO YOUR GIRL BEYONCE, LAST TIME I CHECKED SHE WASN'T BORN WITH BLONDE HAIR.

Justin is Calling

Nice comparison photo of Beyonce.

Did that same photographer take that picture of John Edwards' new baby for the National Enquirer?

todd

dumbest thing i have ever read.

conner

Oh cmon...get a life people! Its not that big a deal!! dumb BP!!!

plushb

While I can certainly understand and appreciate what the author is saying, this has been going on for years. As much as you want to stand up and argue about it, unfortunately, its not an entire race's battle to fight. Beyonce needs to realize in this add that her skin tone has been lightened and her nose has been trimmed. Its her battle to fight. If she decides to ignore it and continue to work with this company, it speaks to her character.

getreal

Seriously....I mean come on. I'm so sick of black people crying about the dumbest crapt! If a white person said they were making someone look too black then that would be discrimination. Get over yourself!

truth teller

Nina, please get OVER yourself.

As a strong, african-american woman, you are really bugging the hell outta me.

Typical black victim. Always looking for a source of oppression.

Lylalu

Okay seriously- you are making WAY too big a deal out of this. Lighting can make a HUGE difference. I have medium skin and in some pics with lots of light I look pale. Move on.

Jea

Nina get over yourself, this is such a stupid post, Get over it! Nobody cares

Justin is Calling

So why does TMZ always state Barack Obama is black when he's really half black, half white?

Does TMZ obviously want Barack Obama to look black, not white?

Gabby

Uhm .... isn't this story about 3-4 days old already??
Talk about beating a dead horse!!

Epic FAIL on this story.

nicole

get over it. white people are made to look tan all the time. shes obviously already "altering" her natural black beauty by dyeing her hair blonde.

LIFE IS LIFE

Beyonce dont like blacks!