Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

Bean

How sad! I really liked Bernie Mac. My prayers to his family:(

Claire

OMG! I can't believe he died. That's so sad. He was always great, especially in the Ocean movies. God Bless him and his family

Coty

This is terrible news for a Saturday morning. Bernie Mac was a great actor and will be missed by all!

Bland

Rest in Peace. Much love and sympathy to the Mac family.

Maydena1985

I am truly sorrowed about the passing of big mac. He was a great comedian and a great actor. I send my true condulences to his family and they are in my prayers.

tiedye

Holy crap!! this is awful!! his poor family...

RabbleRouser

This is so tragic. He was a comical genius...and will be greatly missed.

john

RIP
next to go is Paul Newman
not trying to be a jerk
but just watch

Oh please...

Prayers are with his family

narek

RIP Bernie!! I enjoyed your work. May you continue to make God and the folks in Heaven laugh as much as you made me!!

ankhle

I am so sad to hear this. I really believed reports he was getting better. RIP

James

Tmz Could of at least thanked me im the one who sent them the info on this

Mike Zion

I am so sad to hear this. He was of great charactor. We will never have anyone like him. He will be missed by everyone. He was so funny and honest, he played some great roles in movies. I will say a blessed prayer in his honor.

Tammbo

THANK YOU BERNIE!!!

Heather

Wow, what a shock! So sad for his family. It's crazy to think that we've come so far with medicine, except when it comes to the lungs. Here's to hope that somehow doctors will figure out how to repair lungs or come up with some kind of prosthesis (spelling?).