Bern Out -- Mac Dies at 50

8/9/2008 11:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Comedian Bernie Mac died this morning in Chicago after a long hospitalization from pneumonia.

Mac, whose real name is Bernard McCullough, passed away early this morning at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 50 years old.

His rep just issued the following statement to TMZ: "Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital. No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."

The day before he died, Mac's rep insisted he was stable, in no danger and expected to be released within the week, even though it was clear Mac was on his death bed.

frst1011

Bernie,you made us laugh,I know you are in a better place,God Bless your family.

greens

Rest in Peace.One of the funniest men in showbiz.You will be missed.

Jeff Dranetz

A very wise, whitty, and funny man. There are many funny comics, but rarely are they as wise.
I am very saddenned by his passing.

E

Funny guy who tried to teach personal responsibility for your actions. Too young. He will be missed. RIP Bernie.

April

Tears are flowing from my soul. I am deeply saddened about his passing. With all the bad news out there lately, I was praying for his recovery but god had other plans for him. My sincere condolences to his family, freinds and fans. May he rest in Peace. I can't stop the tears...April

mrs2u

God bless to the his family, He will truly be missed I was hoping this was another rumor...

kas

He wasn't that funny.

mike

too bad, one of the best and gone so young. he will be missed.

Meshka33

So sad, he was so very funny. My husband and I watched the Bernie Mac Show. He will be missed. My prayers go to his family now.

AvaBardot

:(:::::: too, too sad. RIP Bernie.

csnoah

Bernie was a great comic- I'll miss him

molindav

This is very sad news. God bless his family, my prayers are with you all at this of grief and loss. R,I,P. Bernie Mac.

tigress28

He was the true KING OF COMEDY and will be missed by many. My prayers go out to his friends and family.

byrd

I am just stunned. Rumors had been circulating in the urban community for a couple of weeks that he had passed away. Now, unfortunately it has truely occurred. He was by far, one of the funniest comedians of our time. He will be greatly missed.

JustAnotherJen