« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Spanish Hoops Squad Takes Its Eyes Off the Ball

8/11/2008 2:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

How do you ingratiate yourself into a foreign culture? Take a photo mocking the way they look!
Spanish basketball team
The Spanish national basketball team, gold medal contenders at the Olympics in Beijing, was featured in a full page ad that shows the team pulling back at their eyes in a slanty-eyed gesture. According to the Guardian, the ad (which is for a freight company) ran in a Spanish newspaper.

An e-mail to the Spanish Basketball Federation was not immediately returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

TheMediaConnedUs

33. I'm black and I say this is NOT racist.

Of course you don't find it racist, you're black. If they were making their lips big or their noses flat I'm sure you would be hopping up and down and dialing Al Sharpton. How many race cards are you dealt at birth? I know I'm sick of them being thrown every time a black person is offended and yet they see nothing wrong when other races are being poked fun at.

TMZ Fraternity

Who cares..Let these fools who represent SPAIN on a Global Level disrespect China this bad..It doesnt matter..China is the biggest super power in the world, and no country can f**k with them. Plus China's history pre-dates Jesus and all that other b.s....So people dont even get angry..The majority of people act like children..Look at them like a puppy..They dont know any better..
An No i am not from china, but this is really disrespectful and it annoys me that people leaving comments on here are so uneducated..I mean really. This level of intelligence is what makes up our population in the U.S. It is very sad...

Jeep Fu

Racist? Hell no.

Would people be getting their panties in a bunch if this picture were a bunch of asians doing the "round eye" gesture? I think not.

Hypocracy? I think so.

Flake

Don't worry the U.S. team will give them the a well deserved smack down.

colin

#47 Although I agree with many of your comments, China is still not the "biggest superpower in the world". It's still not even considered a First World Country. There is actually only one current hegemon in the world. You might not like it but it's still the U.S. The U.S.S.R. was the last before it dismantled. China is getting more and more industrialized but the United States -if you're speaking militarily- can still "f**k" up any other country w/o care for collateral damage.

What everyone will realize eventually is that the world is entangled corporately and not changing. We all depend on each other more and more despite skin color or the angle of one's eyes.

It's Time For A Change

OK...SO THEY WANT TO BE JERKS.............WELL, THE ITALIANS NEVER COULD AND NEVER WILL BE THE BEST IN BASKETBALL . SO, WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK- ANYWAYS . AS FOR THE PICTURE, THEY ARE JUST POINTING TO WHERE THEY WISH THEY HAD A BRAIN. SO, DUNK THIS ....DOUBLE DRIBBLERS...EXCEPT IT IS SLOBBERS INSTEAD OF BASKETBALLS.

It's Time For A Change

CORRECTION,,,,,,,,,SPANISH...NOT ITALIENS. SORRY, MY ROCKY LOOK ALIKES

It's Time For A Change

SORRY...I MEANT TO SAY SPANISH...NOT ITALIENS.....OOPSS

annie

Definitely racist and offensive. What a slap in the face for the host country that produced the most beautiful opening ceremony the world has ever seen.

shon

I think we should all look up the word racism. I'm in conflict because I don't know the minds of the Spanish players...If they are indicating violence, discrimation, oppression, superiority over another group it is racism, but could it be competitiveness? I think it is probably oppresive, in the sense of making the Chinese feel bad, but it may be more like poor sportsmanship. I know I would be offended if they had on any stereotypically black features displayed. The Spanish crowd and some of the players did chant monkey sounds at the black players in 2004 and that is terrible. I vote racist and very insenstive for 2008's PC world, but I don't think that is the point they were going for. I think they are just dumb. Does this make any sense?

Obama girl

I'm Hispanic and I find this very Offensive!!! they are idiots... morons., pendejos..

Iskur

Although I find this stupid and offensive, for all we know they meant this in a friendly way, i.e. look we're chinese now. Yea I know it's dumb but Spain seems to be incredibly ignorant when it comes to political correctness. But I've seen just as bad things in Asia and Africa. The point is, if it's ignorance it isn't really racism, it's only racist if they meant it in a mocking way. And I really doubt they did mean it in a mocking way, if that's the case they are incredibly stupid ... I just think they're smarter than that (just ignorant of PCness).

sevillana

How can you assume that the Spanish team was making fun of the Chinese? I don't believe that the whole team would make these gestures to mock or make fun of any people. This is just another misunderstanding and of course you jumped to conclusions before you actually get the real story.

Be Happieee

Hi I am Chinese and i don't find this racist..because to me it seems more like they are pointing at their eyes than stretching..looks more as if they are implying to "keep the eye on the ball/medal etc..

sevillana

I,M SO TIRED OF MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF CRY BABIES IN THIS COUNTRY ,ALWAYS PLAYING THAT RACE CARD,PLEASE FEEL SORRY FOR ME ATTITUDE.GROW UP,NOBODY KNOWS WHY THE SPANISH NATIONAL TEAM MAKE THAT GESTURE.,I'M A VERY PROUD SPANIARD AND SICK ABOUT ALWAYS EARING PEOPLE TALK NEGATIVE ABOUT MY COUNTRY,BEFORE ALL YOU IDIOTS WITH NO EDUCATION TALK ,LEARN SOME HISTORY,I REALLY HOPE SPAIN KICKS UNITED STATES A....SS.THIS IS THE MOST RACIST COUNTRY IN THE PLANET.ALWAYS THINKING THE ARE BETTER AND MORE POWERFUL COUNTRY AND BETTER MORALS THAN ANYONE ELSE .GIVE ME A BREAK.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments