Dave Matthews Band

Member Dead

8/19/2008 10:14 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0819_leroi_moore_ex.jpgTMZ has learned LeRoi Moore, the sax player in the Dave Matthews Band, has died. He was 46.

Moore was seriously injured in an ATV accident June 30 outside Charlottesville. He had a punctured lung and broken ribs. Moore went back into the hospital last month due to complications.

Moore died in Los Angeles this afternoon, after taking a turn for the worse.

We're also told the band will perform tonight as scheduled at the Staples Center in L.A.

UPDATE: A rep for the Band just gave TMZ the following statement:

"LeRoi Moore, saxophonist and founding member of Dave Matthews Band, died unexpectedly Tuesday afternoon, August 19, 2008, at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles from sudden complications stemming from his June ATV accident on his farm near Charlottesville, Virginia. Moore had recently returned to his Los Angeles home to begin an intensive physical rehabilitation program."

More Today in TMZ History

Matt

and i agree with Tim when commenting on this quote, " 150,000 people die everyday. It is sad how we can value one life more than another." Sure many many people die each day, however i do not know or have met just about all of them so its hard to grieve and mourn people i've never seen, heard, thought about or even know but i have seen Leroi for 17 shows, countless tv appearances, and even had the pleasure of meeting him. Not to mention he is a member of my favorite band so obviously the impact will be greater for me than someone that lives in Bolivia or North Dakota or wherever who i never even knew existed.

Michelle

This is so sad. He was so great at saxophone, I loved his solos. He will be greatly missed.

f.Dosset

The collective age of Kelli, Ric, Maria and others of that ilk probably adds up to about 9 or 10, which is certainly more than their collective I.Q's!!! When you read their posts, just understand that you are simply watching chimps perform in a zoo. On second thought, chimps are probably more important. I'm betting LEROI is laughing his ass off at these cretins. RIP brother, and may DMB carry on in your memory.

Neumie

Such a sad day for all DMB fans out there.

It is amazing how ignorant people can be, after reading all the posts on the article you can truly see the difference between true fans and fairweather fans. True DMB fans know that it's all about the music and not anything else. The way they respect other musicians is music and although this was one of their brothers they wouldn't do anything else. Just remember a few years ago when Rick James died, they played Super Freak instead of Anyone Seen The Bridge for the segue between SMTS and Too Much as a tribute.

I have seen Dave 52 times and of those 52, 49 of them were full band with Leroi. You can tell that they were one happy family and allowed the fans to be part of that family. I definitely feel like I've lost a family member today as they have gotten me through so many tough times. Although, I have never personally met any of them, they definitely feel like my family.

Now onto Jeff Coffin, Jeff has guested on and off for over 10 years now, so to say they disrepected Roi with using Jeff as a "replacement" is absurd. He wasn't a replacement, he is one of the most respected horns player out there and the band has had a relationship with him and all of the Flecktones for such a long time.

I know its tough for a lot of people out there, but gain some perspective and common sense when you post. This is supposed to be remembrance for a great man who lived his dream and to have disrepectful comments is ridiculous.

RIP Roi,
Neumie

DMBfancirca93

This is truly a sad loss for the band and the musical community s a whole! Since hearing the first Cd(or was it a tape?) back in Jan 94 i was sooooo into their music!!! Finally, 14 years later i had my first chance to see them at Alpine Valley and it was incredible!!!! Unfortunately i knew Leroi wasnt playing but it still was a memorable experience! I am now going to attend each and every DMB concert..... God speed Leroi!!!!! Like others have said" show the big man how to play a sax!!!!"

myrwen

It is a sad, sad day; losing a great human being is a tragedy...we need more GOOD people.
I'm a musician and although I don't know if I could play through the emotions, I completely understand why they did. It WAS NOT disrespect, it was to HONOR him; he was not "dumped off the bus" as someone commented earlier, he will be on it, and with them forever.
So let us lament the fact that the world lost another good soul and not bicker between each other, we all have opinions...
RIP, you are loved and missed! KW :(

DMB ChickyPoo

This is a very sad sad time, I have been a DMB fan for years and years, I am also glad that I had the pleasure of seeing LeRoi June 28th at Nissan :)) he will be missed, DMB not only is a AWESOME bad but the music also just does something to me when I listen to it when I am sad it makes me happy, DMB just has that Vibe that no other band has and LeRoi and his Sax is just so Amazzzzzzzzing he will be so so so missed...Lots Of love to the DMB Crew we will make it through this, and Lots of good Vibes to LeRoi's Family and Friends and Dave and the rest of the guys just remember Nothing Left To Do But Smile, Smile, Smile.

DMBFAN4LIFE

My thoughts and prayers are with Leroi's family members and friends today. DMB will not be the same without him. I didn't know Roi personally but felt a connection with him through his music. He will be sorely missed. Rest in peace my friend.

Josh

OMG LeRoi was a GOD how sad!!!!!

Cynic

How tragic....my heart goes out to his family and friends - and what a huge loss to the music world.

ATVs are SO dangerous! I live by the beach in California, and the Oceano Dunes are a big attraction to ATV riders, and the local economy is greatly boosted by the people who come for the recreation. However, there are consistently several deaths each year, frequently children. These things need more strict safety standards and people need to use them safely. Nobody thinks they're going to die on an ATV, but it happens on a regular basis. If you're going to ride one, PLEASE be careful!!!

Cynic

Ashley's Mom ~ I am so sorry for your loss! God bless you - I can't even imagine the kind of pain you endured in losing your precious, beautiful daughter. My prayers are with you!

Don

Right on Neumie... you took the words out of my mouth. This is a sad day for all DMB fans... we'll all miss seeing those sunglasses. RIP buddy, we'll miss you..

Cece

What a great lose to the music indusrty, his family and DMB. Lerio was an amazing Sax player and he will be missed by many. Love and my condolences to his family, friends and band members.

Louis

Wow, this is definitely shocking. Being a dmb fan for over 10 yrs, you don't really stop to think that if anyone passes, how things may change. I send my condolences to the band and their families -dmb forever

Diashi

Dude! LeRoi WANTED them to go on and play! Back in July, his condition was far worse than the band and media let on. The band was prepared for him to take a turn for the worse at any moment and they decided (with Leroi) that they would go on and play with Bella Fleck's sax player no matter what -to honor their fans and to carry on what LeRoi worked so hard for. A) the band played as a tribute to his memory, and B) the band is under contractual agreement to those venues and promoters. LeRoi wouldn't have wanted the DMB to be liable for millions of dollars or subject to a lawsuit.
All TRUE fans of the DMB know that Dave would honor his best friend in the best way he knew how, and would carry out LeRoi's wishes.