DMB Concert: "LeRoi Gave His Ghost Up Today"

8/20/2008 9:33 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

With his voice trembling with emotion, Dave Matthews broke the heartbreaking news to a packed Staples Center crowd in L.A. last night -- that his close friend and sax player, LeRoi Moore, had died.

Just hours after he learned about Moore's passing, Dave told the fans, "it's always easier to leave than be left." Moore died Tuesday from complications stemming from an ATV accident in June, in which he punctured a lung and broke several ribs.

BabyGirl

1st

How sad!

pimp

ATVs aren't toys

Jennifer

How sad is it that Dave is announcing the death of a dear friend, and people are just screaming not even listening to what he is saying. RIP LeRoi. You will be missed.

lola

I think that people are going to quote him before comitting suicide "it is easier to leave than be left". Not a responsable thing to say. Alot of teens and young adults attend these concerts.

hpergrl

That's sad. My heart goes out to him and his family.

brookinggirl56

So sad..rip...my prayers are with his family and friends. Forever in our hearts.

garciyalater

half the fans at a dmb show couldnt tell you who is even in the band, other than dave......

Passing Through

Unfortunately, Garciyalater is right... half of the people at Dave concerts arent there for the music. They're there for the "atmosphere". The real Dave fans... they're the ones who are hurting today. They're the ones who will go to Millers and leave flowers and play a song for LeRoi today.

We will miss you, LeRoi.

Woodman22

I don't usually post, but Dave Matthews is truly a class act. Despite the agonizing feelings he must have had, he sucked it up and still performed in memory of his friend and bandmate. Although I'm not a big fan of the band, Dave Matthews really showed me something. Maybe the Amy Winehouse's of the world can learn something here. Appreciate what you have.........while you can. It may soon be gone.

Jenni

I'm crushed. My deepest sympathy to his family. Hope he's in Heaven right now Jamming with other music artists, that also left us before their time.

lola

I think that there will be people quoting Dave before commiting or attempting to commit suicide "it's always easier to leave than be left". Alot of teens and young adults attend those shows. I work in a Psychiatric Hospital and I can see it already.

bye bye brit!

As a true Dave Matthews Band fan, this news broke my heart. Watching LeRoi play live on stage was always such an amazing and beautiful experience. He will be missed dearly by many...

KT

It really angered me that the fans weren't even listening to what he was saying. They should have been having a moment of silence for the fallen band member. Instead they were screaming and cheering just because Dave was on stage. The concert-goers should be ashamed of themselves for being so callous.

idiotwood

KAT, I completely agree with you and also the other poster about so-called 'fans' that go only for the atmosphere. It would have been nice to hear Dave, not some retards screaming and cheering. LeRoi, you were the best. So gentile, so kind, so amazing. Make sure you are wearing your trademarks shades, friend, the Gates are bright. Rest in peace, and Godspeed.
-SM in VA