The Woman Who Beat McCain's VP

8/29/2008 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John McCain's VP Governor Sarah Palin hasn't lost the election yet, but she did lose the 1984 Miss Alaska pageant to Maryline Blackburn, coming in second.

According to her website, Maryline "is a singer with a wide spectrum of performing experiences." Maybe she'll perform at the RNC in St. Paul on Monday.

a2burns

that black woman is a hundred times better looking than pale palin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freedomisnotfree

i love the fact that sara palin is an outsider not your typical say and do anything politician.
obama is kicking himself now for not putting hilary on his ticket.
no more obama drama. dnc was over the top and shows how much they really care about the average american over abundance of glitz and shollowness.
typcial hypicrites.
go mc cain/palin 08

Kate

Let's see now... John McCain was always known as a maverick senator, a Republican known for his bi-partisanship and willingness to compromise to further important issues. He is known as a moderate Republican. Now, John McCain, in his quest for POTUS, chooses this relative unknown running mate - female, young, pretty, a former beauty pageant 1st runner-up and - surprise! - a heavily-right wing conservative who's absolutely against abortion, is all for corporate interests, hates environmentalists, has been a governor for two whole years for the State of Alaska, and before that the mayor of a very (VERY!) small town (Wasilla, AK - population: approx. 9,000). She has 5 children - the youngest, at four months of age born with Downs Syndrome. When will John McCain stop pandering to the right wing of the Republican party?

Female: Check - will draw in Hillary supporters.
Pretty: Check - will draw in any man with a banana in his pants
Conservative: Check - shes' a tough-talking social conservative, rigidly so - might even give Rush a woody...
Qualifications: Check - severely lacking in this area, the better for John McCain to over-rule and steamroll over her
Married, with children: Check - the rich never raise their own children - same stuff, different day...

Yep, the PERFECT running mate for John McCain and the Republican party!

Jan

TMZ, Ask the quesion: Were you for Hilliary and now who will you vote for?
I was for Hillary. I will now vote McCain.
1. Obama has been a senator for 3 years and most of those 3 years he's been out running for President not gaining experience..
2. Palin has held an office for MANY years. She gave gays rights in AK although she does not agree with gay marriage, she did not deny rights for gays in her state. That shows me she is a believer in equality.
3. Obama will turn his back on women and gays just like he tossed Hillary aside.
4. Obama will raise taxes and bankrupt America.

jon grecko

The only way a black person can be attractive is if they are half mixed! Just look at the attractive Blacks, Halle, Beyonce, Reanna, etc.

zyski

I think it's funny that the McCain campaign and all the Kool-Aid drinkers on Fox News think that because they have Sarah Palin on the ticket that all 18 million of Hillary Clinton's supporters will just flock to the McCain/palin ticket and Vote for them. How condesending is that to women all over the US. Go Obama

Ms. Mary

Who cares that she lost to a black woman, I don't. What has that got to do with politics. Hilliary is the woman of the times, I'm democrat and I'm still voting for Obama.
Come on Hill and defend your great name and intergrity..

Erin

If you say something positive about Palin and are well-written and lucid, TMZ will delete your post. Keep in mind; this is not serious journalism striving for unbiased reporting (does that even exist anymore?). Their stand on this is so obvious from their posting that it's ridiculous. Don't expect gossip rags to allow free, unfettered speech unless it agrees with them.

Tighe

This was during a time any half way good looking black contestent would win the pageant. Hasn't changed much-the judge's thinking gets skewed to be politically correct

WOMAN9955

#89
SO FAR I HAVE WRITTEN 3 COMMENTS AND HAVE SEEN THEM POSTED YET. TALK ABOUT CENSORSHIP. AS FOR PALIN I WAS SHOCK THAT MCCAIN PICK A WOMAN. SMART MAN AND HE PICK ONE WITH A BRAINS,STRENGTH AND COURAGE AND EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FOR A VP-SHE SAVED THIS COUNTRY 400 MILLION DOLLARS FOR VETO THE BILL FOR THE BRIDGE THAT GOES NOWHERE.

name withheld

VOTENADER.ORG

stopthepresses

All you Obamabots can laugh all you want to - as a woman, and a Republican, I think this was a BRILLIANT choice. I think Sarah is great and I hope she rips Biden a new a$$ in the debates. Think about it: Obama has NO EXPERIENCE, so he picks Biden, who has at least been on some foreign relations committees. That balances him out SOMEWHAT. McCain has much more experience than Obama, so he picks someone who brings OTHER attributes to the table. I truly believe that whatever experience this woman is now lacking will be made up for shortly. She's probably being briefed and schooled (if she needs it) even as we speak. I'd put her up against any man, any day. She seems like a DAMN quick study, and the people I have seen and spoken to are THRILLED she was the pick. She has energized the party, and I'm going to volunteer.

Suri's Nanny23

O.K. I admit it the reason why I am so against her is that she dumped my loser ass back in high School and i never got over her. Really she is the best choice Forgive me Sara!!!!!!!!!!!!

stopthepresses

Polar Bear:

Maybe if you could've spelled her name correctly - she wouldn't have dumped your aZZ. Don't be bitter!

let's be real

WOMAN9955,

she was for it before she discovered it was more politically favourable to be against it ...

your rhetoric is adorable though, nice try.

on behalf of intelligent women everywhere, we'd appreciate it if you could read up on Palin instead of scanning your google search, thanks.