Brand

Blasted for Cherry Pickin'

9/8/2008 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Jonas Brothers all wear purity rings -- but VMA host Russell Brand got in some serious hot water with his extremely impure jokes about the Disney virgins.

Russell Brand: Click to watch
Humorless "Idol" champ Jordin Sparks ('memba her!?) defended the boys after Brand bragged he'd bag 'em all by the end of the night. Hope he stayed away from Nick -- that kid's only 15!

Martinsmama

Oh, and if I had to hear his crazazy political view one more time....well, after his tirade, I turned it off.

Congrats to Britney, the year of the comeback, eh?

Terry

Britney got it right when she called him Russell "BLAND" in the commercial! And Bland he was! MTV is going to the dogs!!! You go Jordin Sparks!!!

eloc

I was hopeful that Brand would bring some fresh humor to a dated and contrived show. I was very disappointed. He was trying too hard, crude and painful to watch. Sorry buddy, you're time is up.

maggie

No 19 - you poor pathetic uninformed life-form. Why dont you get off the internet and read some books?!. I recommend you start with a few history books. Blacks whites spanish!!!! Oh you are so funny!

TMZ Fraternity

Oh please...JOrdan sparks can blow me..Fat a@@

THe jonas brothers are the gayest thing walking and i am glad he made a few jokes about them.

ANYONE who wears a promise ring deserves to be DEAD! LMAO Just kidding THe PARENTS of the kids who wear promise rings need TO BE DEAD>>>d.i.e. bible freaks

eloc

I am not conservative and I can't wait for Bush to leave the White House. That said, Brand was not funny or clever in his humor or presentation. I like to lighten up and laugh with the best of them, but this was just stupid.

Heidi

This wasn't a Comedy Central Roast - this was the MTV VMA's. His comments were WAY out of line. Whether you support our president or any of the presidential candidates - who does he think he is to come from a different county and insult OUR country's leaders. Completely out of taste. The Jonas Brothers have been in the entertainment business since they were about 6 years old. The purity rings were talked about back then. They have grown up - it's time everyone else does to and let them keep their personal decision personal. They don't talk about it in interviews anymore just for that fact. They don't want it to be the main focus of their band. If the VMA host wanted to make a joke or comment about it - that would have been fine - but to go on and on in such a distasteful rampage was completely uncalled for. I applaud Jordin Sparks (and so did the majority of the VMA audience) for sticking up for Jonas Brothers. The host ruined the entire show. And NO MTV doesn't write his monologues. HE DOES. He has his own team of writers and he writes most of his own material. MTV has always been a big political endorser getting kids involved in politics in a good way. They would never have wrote material to bash the elections so badly. AND MTV loves the Jonas Brothers. They would have never written such crude comments about the boys - especially with Nick being only 15. WAKE UP - the host should offer a private apology to Jonas Brothers and a public apology to ALL of America.

Justify

He is getting bashed for what he said about a ring, it was ok he comes here and bashes our president!! I think he should leave and never come back

highflyers

I also turned it off after that horrible idiot ruined the show with his opening rant. He is disgusting and just plain sleezy. He is not funny at all and I think he was the only person getting the jokes. Maybe he is funnier in the UK, but he failed to impress me last night. Perez Hilton would have been so much better and funnier to have as a host. This guy is only famous in his own mind and the person responsible for booking his ass needs their's fired. He has no taste and to talk nasty about teenagers is just not acceptable. If it were only adults in the audience, I can see where he could make fun of virgins and other adult humor things, but several of the performers were under the age of 21. These kids are setting a good example for the younger fans and standing up for what they believe. They should throw that stupid host out of the country and never allow him to perform again. MTV really blew it last night. They have no class and hopefully no credit after last night's terrible show. The people in the music industry need to form their own network and stick to making fabuolus videos and wonderful music. I am sure I missed several great performers but I was not going to listen to that piece of S**t run his mouth. I hope everyone that was as disgusted as I was with him calls and complains. Too bad MTV had to use Britney Spears as bait to get people interested especially after how they treated her last year. She looked wonderful from what I saw of her and I hope she continues to return to entertaining. MTV is lame.

anavel

well, i mostly wasted two hours or so of my life last night. the poor jonas brothers, i mean come on. they have a sense of dignity that most people don't, dignity that russell brand obviously doesnt have. jordin sparks getting all pissy was stupid, but the comments brand was making were crude and uncalled for. the night was a disaster from the beggining. the performances were half assed and uninteresting. the only one that seemed of real MTV quality was christina aguilera. wierd for me to say, but you know... kinda true. everyone else was just kinda really really dumb. AND for the record, russell brand was in forgetting sarah marshall, which i'd like to say was freakin hilarious. but his stint on mtv, not so much. im pretty sure mtv is going to have to save a lot of face on this one. and disney is always out to kick someones ass, so, someones in trouble. we'll see how this all will pan out, shan't we?

eloc

This guys reminds me of some idiot at a party who is coked up and seems to think he's so unique, edgy and funny. What a nightmare. Just being loud, hyper and saying things most people wouldn't (there may be a good reason for that), doesn't make you a comedian. Edgy works if it's clever. This was annoying.

Justify

He is being bashed for talking about some rings come on, Jordan sparks is not right either. What because I never wore a purity ring I am a slut!! seriously get a life. How can he come over here and make fun of our president and get away with it. If we bashed his president/Monarchy we would not get away with it like he did. I really don't think MTV wrote any of what he said in the beginning

anavel

NO.51... LMAO

Rika

Russell Brand did exactly what Russell Brand does, and exactly what he did at his gig that MTV booked him after not only that he did it fabulously, so y'all need to grow up, go find your sense of humor (they may sell those on line) and teach your lads that the world doesn't want to see their asses. Funny how everyone seems to have forgotten the big winner was the original "I'll stay a virgin until marriage" lier, and that half the audience's rap sheet can be looked up on this site.

why?

GOOD FOR YOU JORDAN & JONAS BROTHERS

DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE BELITTLE YOU BELIEFS. I ONLY WATCHED ABOUT 25 MINUTES OF THE SHOW, BEFORE I TURNED TO TLC. I DID NOT GET THE COUNTRY BASHING FROM A MAN THAT IS SOMEONE I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF. AND WHY DO WE CARE WHAT HE THINKS.