« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Search for Evan Turns Up Body

9/9/2008 7:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The Imperial County Sheriff's Department went on a frantic search to find former UFC champion Evan Tanner before his body was discovered in the desert yesterday.
Evan Tanner: Click to view!
Tanner had gone into the California desert, even blogging about his "adventure," saying, "I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun."

Evan was 37.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

trax

Here's part of his blog after finding out that some MMA site were reporting that he was putting himself into a dangerous situation after he said on his blog that if any of his equipment failed it would cost him his life.

“It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. It's really common down in southern California to go out to the off road recreation areas in the desert about an hour away from LA and San Diego. So my plan is to go out to the desert, do some camping, ride the motorcycle, and shoot some guns. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. A lot of people do it. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.”

pattijen

Just another stupid guy who didn't treat life as if it were precious.

My2Cents

I read somewhere that he ran out of water. He texted a friend of his that he was in bad shape and had no water. Dumbass.

Kelli

Was this because of steroids? Never heard of him but the behavior seems nutty.

My2Cents

Motor cycle - check
Guns - check
bowie knife - check
shorts - check
camping gear - check

water - who needs that! too much to carry.

My2Cents

Was this because of steroids?? what an odd comment. The dumbass went into the desert without bringing enough water. Why would you think it was steroids? duh. how assinine.

Cornflakes

If you're going to insult someone, at least learn how to spell first. It's "asinine"

artie help

obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

FlBiker

He lasted almost 1 day, nicely done.

matt

You should all do some research on this man before posting irresponsible and childish comments about him. His life was all about adventure. Thats how he became a ufc fighter. He joined a local shootfighting contest just to say he had done it. That's how he started fighting. If you read his myspace blog, he has done more with his life in his 37 years than most of you will ever do in your whole lifetime. Have some respect.

phd md

1 day in the desert...it seems suspicious to me

ispeakenglish

how can someone run out of water the 1st day?

Kelli

LOL Biker, no kidding.

Marie

This Man, Evan was a great person. I knew him personally. He would give or do anything for his family and friends. I can't believe that people who say such mean things about someone who has died! IF that was your family or friend that someone spoke of in that way after a death...IM sure you would not like it? Evan was a very good person with a great heart. The people that are posting such cruel comments, I hope nothing like this happens to one of yours. Such childish and irresponsible behavior. Evan you will be missed dearly! Rest in peace my friend.

OCD

Surely he didn't believe all of that "Man vs. Wild" crap. Those men are never in danger and they don't sleep in trees surrounded by cobras, poisonous frogs and cobras. The reality of being in the wild unprotected and ill prepared is the same as it has always been.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments