UFC Fighter Found Dead

9/9/2008 12:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner went missing in the California desert and his body was found yesterday.

Law enforcement tells us the 37-year-old went out into the desert near San Diego last Friday. That same day, Tanner sent a text message to a friend that he was out of water and needed help. There was a massive search that ended abruptly yesterday.

Tanner blogged last month he was going to the desert because of his friends talking about "treasure hunting and lost gold, and my own insatiable appetite for adventure and exploration." Tanner continued, "I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment could cost me my life."

Tanner's song of choice on his MySpace page was "Guaranteed" by Eddie Vedder from the movie "Into the Wild." The movie was about a guy who goes off into the wilderness against the advice of everyone he knows. Guess how it ended.

Tanner was featured on Spike TV's, "The Ultimate Fighter." He lost his last bout in June at the Ultimate Fighter 7 finale.

Cause of death is undetermined.

JEN2K

Youtube: or Google: THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY RACHEL

video ode 2 Evan

The Great Gig in the Sky
(Wright) 4:44

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

2047 days ago

Gene

Sounds like a real rocket scientist who did quite a bit of planning before venturing out.

Duh.

2047 days ago

mike

why coulnt it have been one of the Hogans instead..

2047 days ago

Kay

I'm just glad no one lost HIS life looking for the guy.

2047 days ago

matt

WATER ISSUE - Ok, many people on here keep posting how he could run out of water. Instead of waiting for the details, everyone assumes he took one or two damn bottles of water. You HAVE to realize that he was in 115 degree weather. I'm sure when he started to overheat, he began to poor water on himself and over his head to cool off and keep his body temperature low. Why does everyone believe the first thing they hear without even thinking about being in his situation? Are you the same people who buy those damn QVC gadgets that don't work? Use your head and think about the situation before posting dumb and irresponsible comments. It just makes you look retarded.

2047 days ago

Gene

Matt,
The man ventured into the desert and you think he took along a couple of bottles of water?

If that's the case, why would you be surprised he's dead?

2047 days ago

God

Seems to me that he should have contacted help earlier and since he finally contacted his friend, I don't see why the friend "waited" and then contacted authorities a day later, I believe. WOW for him and wow for his friend. RIP though..

2046 days ago

pmhapp

fact-checker: "Tanner was featured on Spike TV's, "The Ultimate Fighter.""
Tanner was never on The Ultimate Fighter.

2046 days ago

Dick Pudenda

THIS JACKASS IS A CERTIFIED LOON. HE'S OBVIOUSLY BEEN DROPPED ON HIS HEAD ONE TIME TOO MANY. MOTHER NATURE OFTEN ELIMINATES THE DEFECTIVE ONES TO PROTECT THE SPECIES - SO IT IS WITH THIS MORON. PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN THE DESERT KNOW THEIR LIMITATIONS - THIS PUTZ THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE ON TV. WHAT AN IDIOT. HE DIDN'T NEED WATER, HE NEEDED BRAIN CELLS. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, HE'S OUT OF THE GENE POOL!

2046 days ago

anthony

we all have that adventure in our inner throughts... searching for treasures .... its sad what happened... the only advice for treasure hunters is to have a gps along with back up batteries...and if your serious about searching for lost treasures out in the desert, rent a magnetometor for that purpose ..... i have some crazy friends looking for treasures out in arizona....many years now looking for a lost treasure... sad story..

2046 days ago

papasmurf

ok, instead of focusing on running out of water what im wondering is how he ran out of gas, he should of know right away that he was out of gas and called right away, instead of waiting until he ran out of water. His biggest mistake was that if any of his equipment failed he could have easily rode back to the closes town to get help, but obviously he wasnt thinking,

2046 days ago

april

I THINK IT WAS A VERY TRAGIC THING THAT HAPPENED, BUT AT THE SAME TIME: WHAT WAS HE THINKING? DID HE ACTUALLY THINK HE WAS GOING TO FIND LOST TREASURE AND GOLD?!

2044 days ago

IE_MINDY

TO ALL THESE PEOPLE TALKING SMACK!!!!! ....... MAYBE HIS "TREASURE" WAS HIS OWN KIND OF TREASURE...SUCH AS A 'SPIRITUAL AWAKENING' TYPE THING.....DONT DISS THE DEAD...HAVE SOME RESECT

2043 days ago

Big Stinky

R.I.P my friend. You will never be forgotten!

2042 days ago

ckit

What a shame. He was hot. Yes. He. Was.

This is why married men live longer, people.

2036 days ago