« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Phelps' Comedic Doggy Paddle

9/14/2008 9:22 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Phelps' monotone comedic styling wasn't used very much on last night's season opener of Saturday Night Live -- which was probably for the best.
Michael Phelps: Click to view!
But when it comes to the parts where they actually let him speak ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

GEB

Well that one skit with the homeschooled kids adn their mother on the Quiz Bowl show, was hillarious. To know end. Imean come on [sic] "The Cavemen defeated teh Dinosaurs adnt hen built the White HOuse", hillarious. Also quiz bowl is a Virginia classic!

deezeey

Hey Jerry (#18) Neither am I..............the show still sucked!!!!

steve

Yes, he was terrible but it was all in fun !! Not even his teammate ,Jason Lesak, could have saved him this time. !! I still am amazed what he accomplished,,,Put him right up ther with Lance Armstrong !!!!!

M.P.

great athlete? yes! easy on the eyes? NOOOOOO!!!

KNOWITALL

OMG

HE WAS THE WORST HOST EVER.
READING CUE CARDS LIKE HE WAS A ROBOT.
AND HE'S NOT FUNNY NOR INTELLIGENT SOUNDING.

STICK TO WATER, FRANKENPHELPS.

THAT HAD T BE THE WORST SEASON OPENER IN THE HISTORY OF THE SNL.

THEY DID ALL THE SAME SKITS AS WHEN THEY HAD SETH ROGEN ON.

WEAK AT BEST

tmz_fan

I like it not. SNL is so ovah!

Jennifa O Jenny

It wasn't his fault if the skits he was in weren't funny - it was the material he had to work with that was the problem.

happyone

He did GREAT!!! Hes a swimmer doing LIVE YES LIVE TV.... He's a refreshing handsome ( not ovee manscaped), american GOLD medalist.... Lets see the posers in TMZs "headquarters" do anything competitive besides making fun of "stars" ( HUMANS) feet, hands, or veins...Honestly he did a FABULOUS job for a gold medalist swimmer... The writting on the other hand was weak..( Palin bit, Phelps diet. Swim Cop, and the NEWS FUNNY as hell) the rest of the show I was thnkful for my TIVO Fastforward...( CUT THE MUSIC TIME IN HALF thats lil guys a homophob)....I would love to bite Phelps' gold to see if its real ! Michael Call me on the shell phoneI am tall MERMAID waing in the water for you...
( BUT HEY NOT SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS WAS NOT COOL).

transplantbabe

For those of you who think snl sucks-why did you watch? I watched Phelps in all his races he was very trained to take part in. I watched snl to support him in a new adventure he was not trained for. Was he perfect? No. Did he have a great time and felt he accomplished something? Yes. He's a young man getting poked at from soooo many directions-why be so snide?

royboy1978

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he was just horrible on SNL.

When Lebron James did SNL, he was awesome.

Sorry Phelps, but acting is not your forte. In fact, I'm curious as to how he will do on Entourage.

unknown

Ive seen ugly things in my life before but DAMN!!!!!!! Michael Phelps is so F****ING ugly
whenever he goes to the beach the fishes probably jump out of the water b/c they're so scared

Kataomoi

Kinda hard to be funny on a show whose only claim to a snicker are ignorantly-biased politics jokes.

I guess they're scared if they make fun of Obama they'll be a racist network. The Obamasterbation is quite a used rag.

Michelle

leave the guy alone...its his first time..you wouldnt expect supergood acting when its someone's first time, he said he was nervous...some actors cant even act, it would be a shame if he was an actor and he cant act. hes an olympian for God's sake!!!

Nikki

okay, here's the deal...I thought this episode was going to BLOW. And I will admit there were some pathetic sketches. The jar glove could've been okay, but they took it too far. The digital short was awful. Everytime I watch it, I have to go back and watch all of my faves to remind me that at one time digital shorts were funny.

Having said that, it was a LOT better than I expected. Any one remember the Tom Brady episode? THAT was an awful ahtlete-turned-actor episode. And it's true, Michael read off cue cards the entire time and wasn't a great actor, but I thought it was TONS better than the James Franco episode last weekend!!! I didn't laugh ONCE that entire episode. I take that back, I did laugh once-one, ONE, joke made during weekend update is the only reason this episode hasn't been deleted from my dvr-and my memory-forever. I was falling asleep by the first sketch!! They were nice efforts, but it just wasn't that amazing. I will agree with anyone who says it isn't what it used to be, even as recent as a couple of seasons ago. 06-07 season was so incredible!!! But I did think this episode was better than others...Don't blow it this saturday, Anna Farris!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3