Oprah's Mom -- I Can't Read the Small Print!

10/1/2008 9:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Oprah Winfrey's mom is refusing to pay back a $155K bill to a clothing store, and her defense is basically to play dumb.

Vernita Lee claims she shouldn't have to pay the gigantic bill to Valentina, a boutique in Wisconsin, because they took advantage of her "lack of knowledge ... and/or capacity" when they opened the account, reports the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. What's more, her lawyer says the store didn't disclose finance charges prominently enough.

And to think, this could all go away with the change lying around Oprah's chintz-covered cushions.

Norah

Does mean, if we say we're stupid, we get out of paying our bills? I'm good with that! :)

This woman has a pretty damn good lawyer, waiting in the wings, wringing his hands to defend Oprah's mom - again. She did this same **** with the same store before! "Oh, I'm stupid - you should've known that! I'm so stupid, that I have the lack of knowledge and capacity, plus I'm Oprah's mother - I don't ever pay for anything. You'll be hearing from my lawyer, that I also don't pay for."

Stupid is as stupid does, again and again and again. NOTE TO THE STORE.......SHE"LL BE BACK!!!!!!! When you see her coming, lock the door and pull the shades! (Just stop selling her size!)

Sharon, NJ

Love Those Teenage Girls

I like what Candie and Diedra have to say. Yes, it WAS President Clinton who expanded the 'home buying' program. There will ALWAYS be certain people that should NEVER own homes. It has nothing to do with race (though some may think so) -- it has everything to do with personal responsibility. It's a shame that there are people in this country that feel they are entitled to things, even if it means sticking the taxpayers with the bill.

As far as Oprah's mammy goes, well, she's a disgusting person. Not just in physical appearance, but in the sense that she felt she could weasel her way out of the bill for her over-sized clothes by playing the "I be stupid" card. It's people like her that give black people a bad name. If I were her daughter, I'd probably disown her. Nothing like a lot of bad publicity from

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

Just thought she could buy 155K in clothes and not pay for it? Come on. Pay up lady. Its bad enough we have to pay for the idiots who bought houses they couldn't pay for. Lets have the Senate pass a bill for 100 million to buy clothes for stupid mothers of celebrities. "I'm Oprah Winfrey's mom. That means I don't pay nothing, understand?" DUH

Diedra

This is why we don't need Obama....We need people being responsible for their
self...We don't need a socialist society telling us what kind of Dr. we have to go
to and giving handouts to people who are NOT willing to work. It gives a bad
name to the people who really need it. Welfare was NEVER meant to be a pay-
check, a way of life. It was meant to help people out of a bad time in their life,
a helping hand if you will. It was meant as a stepping stone to get the people
back on their feet. If you promise people checks and not ask them to be responsible
for getting themselves out of a pit, I'm sure they'll keep voting for you....Keep
promising them checks....and call it hope. Say you are going to change America.
I don't know about y'all, but Obama and his Wife sure benefitted from a great
education, and still don't thank this country for everythng they have. He goes
to Germany and APOLOGIZES for America and this is the guy who is going
to change us...Be careful what you wish for.

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

You people don't understand. She was ripped off. She didn't know. Just like a guy telling the cops he didn't know she was only 16 so they understand and let him go right? Besides, she's Oprah Winfreys mom. Sure she should have bought her pup tents, err, I mean, clothes at Gander Mountain but she had no idea that she wasn't in Wal-mart. They should file a counter suite and take the store for all they have. Imagine the horrible grief she must be going thru. Having to pay for something you bought? I remember Winona Ryder not paying. Oh, that's right--she got in trouble too. Don't worry, Oprahs hero Obama will cure the world of stupidity after he's elected.

Daddy wants some of the pie too.

81s right. I have the solution. Hunting seasons coming up. Put her moms clothes on Ebay. Lots of hunters are looking for tents. Will help her pay the store back.

queen kiki the great

"why did we ever import these things" and "Lou Reed"...no 1 has addressed you so I will do it now! What does her weight and appearances have to do with her stupidity/ lack of responsibility? What do you guys look like? It's so easy to be a bigot from behind a piece of hardware but if you hate people of color, might I suggest you EXPORT yourselves to Europe?!!!!!

Kate

I see why Oprah doesn't have much of a relationship with her mom......she is definately waiting for Oprah to pay it, she probably does that with everything....she's trying to embarrass Oprah into paying. I hope she doesn't, it's not Oprahs responsibility. Let her mom learn a lesson.

Go Sarah!

This is despicable. Ignorance is no defense. Perhaps her uber-rich daughter should step in and pay the bill instead of advising everyone else the proper way to live.

shelly

IM ON A ROLE BLAH BLAH BLAH. IF I DONT PAY FOR THINGS I DONT HAVE THE MONEY!!! IT SUCKS BUT THATS A PART OF LIFE EVERYONES LIFE IM SURE. BUT SOMETIMES YOU GOT TO ASK FOR HELP AND DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE LIKE PAY YOUR DEBT. YOU ARE WEARING THE CLOTHES OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU BOUGHT FOR ALL THAT MONEY DONT ACT LIKE YOUR BETTER JUST PAY IT OR WORK IT OUT DONT SUE AND BE STUPID EVERYONE JUST WANTS MONEY AND IS SUE HAPPY IF I EVEN SPELLED THAT RIGHT FIX IT OUTSIDE OF COURT LETS BE REAL AND LETS BE ADULTS TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

:what ev errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I bet Oprah pays the bill. I would, just to get TMZ to shut up about it. This 155k is pocket change to Oprah. She's probably bailed out her mamma before. The big O most likely wants this to go away. Stop charging mammie!!!!!!

Just saying......

Moneymaker

Really? You didn't understand that making a purchase or two results in a bill that you have to pay. I don't understand why you're not in jail. We are all bone tired of people like you. Hopefully you will punished as you should be.

Silas

Here we go--this is EXACTLY whats going on in the housing markets today. Many Blacks not wanting to pay thier bills is nothing new??

JuJuMal1213

Oprah has what OVER a BILLION dollar - pay the damn bill for your mother! Her mother shouldnt even have to be tryin to get credit! Her daughter is OPRAH for gods sake!! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shes an old lady! Yeah her excuse is worth S*&T but its OPRAHS MOM!!!!!!!!!!! Please that $155K is nothing for her - she probably looses more than that in jewlery every day walking her fat ass to her studio!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care of your moms cheapo!!!!!!!!!!!!

nikkiprov31

To all those who have made racist remarks about blacks especially #87 John Mal and those on the first page, I bet your mothers don't even want to acknowledge that they birthed you into this world. This is not a black thing, it's an American thing that the people of America have been doing for years and need to own up to their share of this mess. No one talked about white people when we heard that Ed McMahon was loosing his house or the other numerous celebs that bail out of paying their bills. Oprah's mom should pay for her own debt and not Oprah! That's the mentality that I am talking about that we have in this nation.

Again, for those who made those STUPID comments, I guarantee that you wouldn't say those things to my face you PUNK!! Try to hang and burn me! I am your worst nightmare! I am a successful, educated black woman. You are a waste of space and a poor excuse for a human! Why don't you crawl back under the bigot rock that you came from? LOOSERS!!