Supermodel Iman

Good Genes or Good Docs?

10/26/2008 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

As a supermodel Iman Mohamed Abdulmajid Bowie, aka Iman, knows how to give good face, but is it all hers?

Iman
Here's the 20-year-old Somalian beauty at the beginning of her career in 1975 (left) -- and the 53-year-old version at a NYC event on Thursday (right).

Apparently, aging is not in this season.

More Good Genes or Good Docs:

redred1

"I turn darker in the summer and lighter in the winter. Come on now, you can't be that dumb. Some of you are paler than MJ if you didn't keep up with all that tanning."

Posted at 7:41AM on Oct 26th 2008 by rachel

The question is, how could you be so dumb? I too am a light skin black who turns a little light in the winter, but that's too damn light. Either she's lightened her skin , or wears the lighter shade of make up that OPRAH and Whitney Huston wears. Get real . And the nose? Come on. No way is that Nubian like her original one. But with that said, she does look great and not overdone. She still looks natural. She has a very good doc.

Dr. 90212

It's actually both! Remember, years ago she was in a real bad accident and had her face re-done due to some crushed bones; but also everybody knows "black don't crack" either!!

Memememe

In the 1975 picture she clearly has radical style makeup on. wtf is wrong with you

Trinut

#1 Black Don't Crack!!!

TD

Obviously you are all a bunch of smart people here. Did anyone miss the word "Somalian"? You know the country in Africa where people tend to be darker. Now that she has spent the majority of her adult life living in places like London she is obviously going to be lighter. Plus any old photo is going to look bad.

Also, the people that are bragging about black women aging better. Your so true, if only they weren't obese that would be something to brag about.

White or Asian girls only way to go,

Toria

Even if Iman wears lighter makeup, how does she manage to lighten her neck, shoulders, arms, legs, etc.? Her lighter complexion appears to be all over, so I doubt it's just lighter makeup. As for the nose, I personally don't see a difference between in the photos. However, she did have plastic surgery on her face following a car crash. According to information on the Internet, she literally had one side of her face rebuilt. Either way, she is one of the most beautiful women in the world be it genes or surgery.

vegaschica

wow it looks like Iman fell into a big vat of skin bleaching cream because she was dark as hell when she was younger

hmmm..

She was in a really bad car accident and they had to reconstruct one side of her face. SO of course she looks different. Other than that, she is a natural beauty with a lot of money for facials, massages, relaxation and good food, which makes her skin look so beautiful!

Amazing

Black people like to delude themselves that they are bleaching out "spots" on their skin, when in reality they are trying to make their skin as light as they possibly can. Tyra did a show where black girls bleach themselves, their children, who have tried clorox, who would take a full-body skin transplant (offered by a fake doctor), and who would do "anything" even risk death to bleach themselves to a lighter shade.

Get rid of all bleach for skin. If you are really so proud of your dark skin, then enjoy it and be glad that it does not wrinkle as early as other races.

keepinitrealincali

I've never seen a bad picture of Iman, even in her hey day as a model back in the late 70's and 80's. I don't know where they dug that first picture up, but it is not very flattering (and TMZ had to dig deep to find it). Iman's on HSN all the time selling her clothing/jewelry line and she looks incredible! In fact, she doesn't look a day over 30, with flawless skin and a great body. No amount of plastic surgery can create what she's rockin'. It is a scientifc fact that darker skin doesn't age like lighter skin, so a lot of her look is due to genetics and because she's Somalian I'm sure she has a much healthier diet. I agree with poster #37, she can afford the best skin care treatments and a good skin care regimen (along with a good diet, exercise, enough sleep and good genes) can go a long way in delaying the aging process of one's face. And, as for the ignorant comment from poster #33 about black women being obese. . . with approximately 60% of Americans being either overweight or obese (with only about 6% of U.S. population being black), I would venture to say that the majority in this country suffering from the obesity epidemic are white (male and female).

tt

BLACK JUST DOES NOT CRACK!! LOOK AT NAOMI CAMPBELL, BEVERLY JOHNSON! BLACK WOMEN AND MEN DO NOT GET WRINGLES AND NEED BOTOX AND FILLERS!

SORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY

that's all

14. 12. How is it 84% believe Marisa Tomei has good genes but only 37% believe Iman does? Wow, could it be most of the people voting are WHITE? Blacks don't age at the same rate as Whites due to their darker skin tone. And, the fact Blacks don't spend as much time in the sun. Whites are the ones who use Botox and have plastic surgery to correct every little wrinkle. I've never read about a Black actress or entertainer who has had plastic surgery or botox, but have read about plenty of White ones who have. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've met a White woman who I thought was in her 40s only to find out she was in her 20s or 30s! I've actually seen White women whose skin had the look of dried leather from too much sun. Yuck! Blacks don't fear aging the way Whites do. Blacks embrace wrinkles and gray hair and resfuse to spend thousands of dollars trying to look younger than they are. The older Black women I know wear their gray hair proudly while the White women dye their hair blonde even when they're in their 70s! And, pile on tons of makeup trying to look half their age. Iman may have had procedures done but I for one, am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and say her good looks are due to genes. Not, plastic surgery. Like they say, "black don't crack." LOL

______________________

You could be right, but blacks don't wear their natural hair and spend thousands on hair weave, relaxers, and perms.

perplexed

I'm confused!! She looks like she's gotten "lighter"!! What's up with that?/ Either way, she looks amazing

TD

#33

66% of black women are overweight compared to 49% of white women
37% of black women are obese compared to 24% of white women

Another study found

66% of black people do not speak proper English compared to 6% of white people

Anther study found

there is 4,618 of every 100,000 black males in prison compared to 1,747 Hispanic compared to 773 white

Maybe you want me to continue with studies done on welfare, food stamps, high school graduation, college, single parent households, unmarried black women, crime rate, substance abuse, etc...............................

Baseball Junkie

The only real differences between the two pictures that cannot be explained by makeup and lighting plus the reconstructive surgery are the laugh lines. Her nose is a little different but the surgeon who redid her face did a very good job. I'm sure she also has had good skin care since she was young.
The other question is how old was her average ancestor who died of natural causes where cancer, etc. are considered natural causes? The greater the longevity of your family, the older you are before you look old. I've always used good skin care and my family lives into their nineties. People, even at the makeup counter where I buy my skin care, always guess that I am at least 10 years younger than my real age. And I'm white with ancestors from England, Germany and Poland. There is no reason why Imam had to have surgery to look that good at her age.

Go Sox