Fantasia Lends Voice to Hudson's Grieving

11/4/2008 5:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

There was no diva in former "Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino on Monday, when she provided what several accounts say was the "emotional crescendo" for Jennifer Hudson family's memorial service.

The Chicago Tribune reports Oprah, Fantasia, Missy Elliot, Queen Latifah, and Clive Davis were among the celebs who came to the private memorial service in Chicago. Fantasia, who beat out Jennifer in season three of "Idol," sang "Your Grace and Mercy."

"I think it healed Jennifer's soul just then," said a family friend.

Topeka

Kudos TMZ. This was just a nice heart warming story. The Hudson family deserve no less. Thanks

kennedy

yeah right !!!!!she didn't plan it...........good opportunity to make herself look good

Natasha

Within my heart and soul, I cannot say how horrible this whole affair has been. I am very happy to hear Fantasia stood up and was used by the Lord to do a great work. I wish the Hudson family peace, grace, and mercy at this time. God Bless.

Lynnette

That is a great song. I know Fantasia gave it her all! Hopefully Jenifer Hudson is coping with this the best way she can...

meow

of course it was planned. when someone dies and you make funeral arrangements there is a program to follow.
Most of the celebs were there to donate to the new fund J hudson is establishing
She would not dare let Julia hand pick the guests.
The celebs and politicians were there because of previous contacts, movies with Jennifer Hudson.The mayor was there
because his city is under seige by the media for an arrest and conviction in this case.
Of course she did not want to let the gang members and drug dealers into the funeral.
The dealers and gang members , if they chose, had to go to the public memorial
I do not see a conviction in this case because everyone in this case has a criminal background and the family was
dealing in criminal activities all along
The little boy is the only innocent victim. All the others were willing participants in the drug dealing, which is a
criminal enterprise.
There was just a case in Florida where the grandfather owed money to the Mexicans for drugs and they kidnapped
his grandson.
They had so much media coverage, that the little boy was turned loose. The FBI was also involved.
I think that is why the FBI came in this case, because there is no way Little Julian was taken across state lines
RIP

necola

I'm so so sorry to hear about Jennifer's family and it was so nice that Fantasia was there and able to sing for her.

love her!

Singing is hard period. Singing at a funeral is sad. Singing for a friend at the funeral of her mom, brother & young nephew is unimaginable. I give a lot of respect to those who came to be by the Hudson families side. I highly doubt the famous people came to exploit their names. They came to pay respect as they would want others to pay respect for them as human beings with a heart and compassion. Queen Latifahs brother was gunned down accidentally years ago. Bless her for being there for Jennifer becuase I bet the wounds of losing her brother all those years ago was reopened because stuff like that never heals. Bless everyone even the haters.

broopa

I'm glad the family is getting a lot of support. I hope they got some measure of peace and closure from the service. I can't imagine how hard it will be to get back to everyday living.

Kelli

I am sure Jenifer would give back all her fame to have her family back, this is the saddest celebrity story this year.

Melissa

This is such a heartbreaking story. I don't know how she is managing to cope. I think those stars who attended have become friends with her. I read that Clive Davis has helped her a great deal with her career. I wish her the very best.

HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!2 FUNNY

FYI #4 & #5....THE LITTLE BOY WAS KIDNAPPED IN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA & QUEEN LATIFAH'S BROTHER DIED FROM A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT.

kat fish

Why in the world is Oprah there? Other than to try to get Jennifer to come onto her show after what is deemed a long enough grieving process?? Oprah is out for herself and her show.

lizouttavegas

IM WITH #11......SURELY TO GOD, OPRAH ISNT BEST FRIENDS WITH THIS GIRL TOO!!!!!! BESIDES, IF SHE HADENT BEEN ON A.I. & IN AN OSCAR WINNING MOVIE, NONE OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD STOP IF SHE WAS IN A CROSSWALK, TRYING TO GET TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ST!.PLEASE....ALL THESE CELEBS CLING TO EACH OTHER LIKE GRIM DEATH....WHY? ITS AWFUL WHAT HAPPENED, BUT WHY WAS HER FAMILY STILL IN SUCH A DANGEROUS AREA, IF SHE HAS SO MUCH $ & ALL THOSE RICH FRIENDS?

ewwww

Hopefully Fantasia didn't wear that RIDICULOUS red wig to the funeral...

joker112

#11 Oprah is friends with Jennifer she's been on Oprah's show a number of times so why wouldn't she want to lend her support? I strongly doubt that Jennifer would sit down with anybody for an interview. It's gonna be over a year or some years for her to be able to accept this tragedy. Let alone talk about it. If Oprah was out for herself and her show don'tcha think she would've had cameras following her?

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments