Deftones Bassist Cheng in Coma After Crash

11/5/2008 3:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chi Cheng, bassist for rock legends The Deftones, is in a coma after a car crash.

The band's frontman, Chino Moreno, says the situation is "very serious" and a post on the Deftones website says Chi is in serious, but stable condition at a northern California hospital, but didn't provide specifics.

Chi has played bass for the Deftones since 1988.

Jeremy Bosco

@MUFFY (#1):
If you didn't have Ryan Seacrest, MTV, Top 40 Radio (which only actually plays about 3 or 4 individual songs ad nauseum, on average, for about 6 months or so) and/or Radio Disney tell you what you're being forced to listen to, because your brain is obviously not functional, you'd have heard of the Deftones, and other REAL bands, a long time ago. Virtually every rock and heavy metal band since about 1994 have been influenced in one way or another by the Deftones, and they have millions and millions of fans worldwide. In fact, three of their albums (Around The Fur, White Pony, and their self-titled 4th album) are certified Gold, and their debut, Adrenaline, has been certified Platinum. Hardly any of your precious Rihannas or Fergies can boast that without the brainwashing coming from the aforementioned Seacrest, MTV and pop music stations, with no originality or hard work required. The Deftones, however, can boast that on creative and original songs, killer live shows, and actual hard work to get to the point they're at now.

Now that that's out of my system, my heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to Chi, his family, friends, and of course his bandmates, hoping and praying for a speedy and complete recovery, so the 'Tones can keep rocking like they always have.

DG135I

Bitter sweet day for me today. Happy because of our next President and saddened because the Deftones are my favorite band and it wouldn't be the same without CHI. I hope he makes it.

anthonysdreamgirl**

what a shame! i hope chi is OK. prayers and thoughts are with him, his family, and the band. deftones rock big time...and MUFFY - if you know nothing about music, than nothing should have been said on your part...

anthonysdreamgirl**

too bad that muffy got the first comment. she doesn't speak for the REAL rock fans out here. :-(

tones fan

my prayers are with you chi, get well soon man!

Dagger11

The accident was in Monterey CA. It was a 3 car accident and there were not 5 people injured. Everyone walked away with scratches except Chi. He is still in a coma and needs everyones prayers. He is a great person and very strong and I pray that he will make it through this. I will update if the family allows it. Whoever Muffy is "you should seriouly think before you type, it is someone like you that causes real pain to the people who care by simply being thoughtless".

Batface

such a positive and insightful person from what I have gathered in the 12+ years I have been listening to the 'tones. My heart sank. Chi, we love you, get well soon.

Chico

While my prayers are with him I know he doesn't need it. The Deftones are immortal rock gods and in a couple days Chi will shake this off like it was a bad hang-over. In my mind they are the untouchables, they are the measuring stick that every other band tries to reach. This situation is nothing more than a slight bump in the road to Chi's earned honor of being mentioned along with other greats such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, KISS, The WHO etc… and The Deftones eventual induction into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.

So while you may not need it Chi, you've got an entire planet of people behind you.
God Bless.

I, Slay The Dragon

Chi, may The True and Living God, comfort and care for you.
ALL things are possible through Christ who strengthens YOU.

Accuracy1

Chi I hope you get through this. =( I have been listening to the tones for over 15 years. All time favorite band EVER! Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Get well QUICK!!!!!

C and L

Reggie

Deftones are an Amazing live band. My Thoughts and prayers are with Chi and his Family @ this time! Chi is the NICEST musician ( and Poet) . Praying for a speedy recovery .

Does anyone know where we can send get well cards to?

Amanda

Guys, poster #1 put their name as "Muffy", the most stereotypical preppy bimbo name imaginable. I think it was a joke. A joke in poor taste, but a "joke".
I'm not a super-huge Deftones fan (I dig them, but they're not a favorite), but my thoughts and prayers are with Chi and his family. Only 38 years old... still so much left to live. Car accidents can be devastating. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2