Gyllenhaal Parents -- Forget Brokeback, Just Broke

11/25/2008 5:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

You'd think with a couple of A-list actor spawn, the Gyllenhaal parents would be living comfortably. You'd be wrong.
Launch docs
According to divorce docs obtained by TMZ, Stephen Gyllenhaal and Naomi Foner are in deep financial troubles. Foner, who is a screenwriter, claims she had to take out a loan during the writer's strike because she doesn't make much money otherwise.

Foner says that throughout their marriage, the couple accumulated debt -- including mortgage payments, home equity lines of credit against their two homes, several credit cards and "various other outstanding loans."

The couple separated back in January, but as recently as September Naomi complained to Stephen about their finances, to which he allegedly responded, "I have been clear that worse comes to worse I will let all of this collapse into ruin, just as I believe letting the markets crash and burn are the right approach." Sounds like something the Joker would say, right?

tard in the hood

CRY ME A RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINANCIALLY OVER-EXTENDED IDIOTS GOT US INTO THIS MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 HOUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cochino

WTF does this have to do with me?

Why does TMZ think its any of my business, or theirs, for that matter, to know?

STOP FISHING and GROW UP

Yogi

SEGUNDA Y EN ESPAÑOL!!!!!!!!

Divashels

I HATE MAGGIE UGLY WHORE AND JAKE THAT LAMEASS GAY MO FO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO THEY ARE UGLY CAN'T ACT AND CHEAP TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE

Ruth

Not everyone who works in the movie industry is a multi-millionaire A-lister like Pitt and Clooney. Many live on very average salaries and just about get by, like most of the citizens of this country. I am not crying for them but at any time divorce can be very difficult and after a marriage of so many years, it is undoubtedly an extremely painful and stressful experience for the entire family.

Barfalufugus

I can just hear people on other posts screaming that their people in Hollywiood make more and have more than any of us will ever have and we are all just jealous.

This goes to show that even people in Hollywierd are going broke too. Yeah, I'm soooooooooooo jealous. HA HA!

commykilla

"A-list?" Hardly, more like high C Low B list

Merry Christmas

I don't see how this is anyone's business. This is personal stuff about non-celebrties. Not even personal finance information is confidential anymore. What a sad society.

Anna

Why are their kids not helping them? I am coming across stories like this more and mor these days. The kids are filthy rich and the parens are in debt or living in poor conditions. I would do anything for my parents, if I was rich they would be rich. There is not "ifs" or "buts" about it. I don't care if they had 4 houses the point is that if the kids have a lot of money they should help out their parents. Thats the right thing to do.

Sarah

Wow.. you truly have no idea of the difference between the public's right to know and the people's right to privacy. This most defininitely is an invasion of the Gyllenhaal parent's privacy. While they may be celebrity parents, they have not, in any way, cast themselves into the spotlight (unlike, say, Britney's Mom - she's totally fair game, etc). This blog now disgusts me, and I'll see what I can't do to stop this "Justice."

Don't mess with the press.

NADA

The kids need to help their parents out...period.....

Proud American

@#7 Anna: " The kids are filthy rich and the parens are in debt or living in poor conditions."
Unless you're their accountant how do you know their "filthy rich"? Just because you see someone in a move or on tv, doesn't mean they have money to spare. If that were the case, celebrities wouldn't be losing their homes, like people all over the country. They're filing bankruptcy quicker than the average joe, now-a-days.

Triple Play

That would never happen to Jimmy Conors family. I know him and I was there

MeAndOnlyMe

It is possible that Jake and Maggie have helped their parents - some people are not good stewards over what they have been given. Or, maybe these parents aren't the type that want to be living off of their children. I also believe that it is one thing to buy gifts for your family if you are rich, but I do not believe it is my children's job to support me if I am fully capable of supporting myself. These are two able bodied people based on the photos I have seen. Most importantly this is not our lot in life to worry over. And FYI - I stumbled over this article based on seeing only part of it's title.

a.j.b.

bah bah bah to them. ask obama to bail them out just like everyone else is doing. maggie and jake should help out.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments