« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Al Michaels Dates Himself

11/27/2008 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Anyone who was born after 1950 might have a hard time understanding what Al Michaels is talking about here -- because who uses words like "paddy wagon" and "hoosegow" anymore?
Al Michaels: Click to watch
Oh right, us.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JuJu

Still a very sexy man.

2092 days ago

ErinK

The term paddy wagon is regional. It's still used in Boston.

2092 days ago

jack Shite

I'LL ALWAYS HATE THIS TOOL FOR PUBLICLY SUPPORTING OJ AND PROMOTING THAT HE WAS INNOCENT OF THE TWO MURDERS HE COMMITTED.

THIS GUY IS A TOTAL SCHMUCK! CAN;T STAND LOOKING AT HIM.

2092 days ago

Zhumi77

My Dad used the term "hoosegow". He was a decorated Green Beret Paratrooper Sergeant in WWII and a Renaissance man who loved Shakespere. It was borrowed from a Spanish word, "juzgado"- which translates to mean "a panel of judges, tribunal or courtroom." But when it was borrowed into the English laguage a century ago, it meant "jail" and has always meant jail. Harvey, thank you for your service. I always knew I liked you for some reason.

2092 days ago

frogs and gravel

My history may be a bit off, but I believe the Green Berets were formed after WW2. They were formed in the early
1960's under the Kennedy Administration.

2092 days ago

Luke Warmwater

As a former ranger I can say that the uniform item known as the green beret was established back in the 60's but guys of equal skillsets and dedication have been known as far back as the Revolutionary War, minus the airborne designation of course. The elite warriors in every branch of service are green beret worthy.

2091 days ago

George Exmont

The joke's on TMZ . . . hoosegow and paddy wagon are very evocative words. Should Al have used jail and police car? You guys date yourselves . . . trying to be ever so cool . . . I'm under 30 and Al had me googling these words. Give him a break. At least he not one of these faceless, boring celebs you guys keep foisting on us.

2090 days ago