Coldplay Hits Back -- We Stole Nothing

12/9/2008 5:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Chris MartinColdplay is finally striking back at the guitarist who claims the band's song "Viva La Vida" is a rip-off with this simple message -- tough luck.

In a statement to TMZ, the band says:

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song Viva La Vida. We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this, and wish him well with all future endeavors. Coldplay."

Neon

Coldplay should be sued for that annoying song. Their response to the suit sucks. They suck. Bunch of wankers.

2057 days ago

Markus

Thanks for deleting what I said TMZ! All I did was REPOST what YOU did, combined.

Idiots.

2057 days ago

YOuidiots

All you Codlplay haters need to shut the hell up! I bet 99% of you guys have copied someone else's exams or homework! With that being said...none of you guys should be giving slack to Coldplay even if Viva and Joe's music had "SOME" similarity. EVERONE does it.

Even if it were true....Joe should have came clean about it sooner considering the song has been out for about 6 months now.

And to the people who say their music is crap, all I have to say is...I wish you guys are saying what you are saying only because you guys can come up with better. Otherwise, anyone who can't shouldn't say anything about their music sucking.

2057 days ago

Shirlaine D.

Joe Who?

May be there's some similarities but I definetely Think that Coldplay are a great and committed band like Joe is a Huge and respected guitarist!

and they don't Stolen it! they 're talented enough for not doing this! but it's just a matter of coincidences! That's happenned!

Let Joe original version for the Old aficionados and "Viva la vida" for the youth!

Personnaly, i don't care who made it first I Love "Viva la vida" and it's absolutely not the part of the guitar which make me love it!

2056 days ago

Nat

That press release was excellently written!

2056 days ago

david

This is kind of ridiculous. I'm not the biggest coldplay fan, but i liked some of their earlier albums, and I also deeply respect Satriani. As a guitar player, I listened to both songs. Satriani's song was off of an obscure 1994 album of his that I doubt Chris Martin ever even heard. Also judging by Coldplay's style (which is not at all close to Satriani's) I doubt they are influenced by him at all or ever listen to him.

But this is all besides the main point. The riff in question is a basic melody of like 10 notes. A songwriter could easily come up with this kind of riff after someone else already had and not realize it. Do you know how many songs are out there?!?! Everything has been done. If this were a complex or intricate melody I could see how it might be plagiarism, but it is so simple that I highly doubt they ripped it off. Plus it's in the middle of Satriani's song and is just a guitar riff...c'mon, his vocals stole from his guitar riff. I doubt it.

2056 days ago

jaystonerkstr

Coldplay fans....listen up!!!

George Harrison(The Beatles) vs Roland Mack and the Chiffons........."My Sweet Loard vs. She's So Fine"

Look it up and read the verdict.

Stop saying the Grammy award winning guitar player is a loser....he's not.

He's been in the business for about 30 yrs and makes money. This not about money, it's about stealing music.

Chris Martin can write music but he thought that he can get away with it because HE thought Satch was a NOBODY.

Next time, steal from someone on myspace. Chances are, they could even afford the lawyer.

2056 days ago

SickofTMZ

Coldplay has ripped Joe Satriani off bigtime! Now they need to pay up for it! Joe Satriani, one the greatest musicians ever, Coldplay.....not so much.

2056 days ago

poc565

Sorry I meant to include not the official video of viva la vida but the Viva La Vida - Music Video (New Alternate Version)

2056 days ago

Nolan Williamson

Everyone that has been bashing Coldplay needs to wake up realize that a rock guitarist that simply plays lead guitar while a drummer keeps the same rhythm the entire song does not hold a candle to the creative ingenious of Chris Martin. The reason that no one freaked out about Viva La Vida being similar to anything Joe Satriani has ever written is because it is not the same. Joe Satriani is a very accomplished guitarist and a musician I hold a lot of respect for but he needs to check his Grammy shelf and sue someone a little more his own size. Good luck with trying to get rich of off Chris Martin's legendary song writing, Joe Satriani is a cry baby that is trying to get back into the public eye and attention for his less than worthless music.

2038 days ago