Killer of "Most Wanted" Host's Son Identified

12/16/2008 2:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The tragic murder of a 6-year-old that lead John Walsh to host "America's Most Wanted" has finally been solved -- a mere 27 years after it happened.

Police in Hollywood, Florida are finally going to ID the scumbag who abducted and decapitated 6-year-old Adam Walsh in 1981. Police are expected to ID the killer as Ottis Toole, a convicted pedophile who died in prison in 1996.

Walsh began hosting "AMW" in 1988 -- a show which claims to have led to the capture of over 1,000 fugitives.

The killer will be officially announced at a press conference later today.

UPDATE: Walsh's publicist just told TMZ, "Evidence proves beyond a doubt that if Toole were alive today, he'd be charged and convicted of abducting and killing Adam."

ERICDRAVEN

Hey no. 10. This is the guys kid were talking about. I highly doubt it is a publicity stunt for ratings. You obviously not qualified enough to leave comments on TMZ, now crawl back in your hole.

Uhmm....

#24, how in the hell is it not a good thing about them finding the killer? At least John Walsh and his family can have some closure to this horrific tragedy.

eloc

That story was/is heartbreaking.

JudyC

I thought that they knew it was Otis Toole YEARS ago! I remember reading something about Otis Toole and Henry Lucas that said that Toole did this. Maybe they knew it, but just didn't have proof until now....Anyway, I'm so glad that the Walsh family will have some kind of official closure to this, even though it doesn't bring Adam back.

Wynn

It is about time. John Walsh is such a good man, bringing justice for other families, it's due time he receives justice for his young son.

VioletteUK

28. "3. So what.

Posted at 1:00PM on Dec 16th 2008 by G. Hall"

Spoken like a true pedophile..

Posted at 1:41PM on Dec 16th 2008 by Fuschiadiva
>GEEZUZ DIVA...What a frightening thought! But how apt...how apt.

boredshitless@work

That's really messed up of you guys who are saying that John Walsh just wanted to profit off of this horrible tragedy!!! He just didn't want to see the same thing happen to other families, that's all!

Uhmm....

32. 28. "3. So what.

Posted at 1:00PM on Dec 16th 2008 by G. Hall"

Spoken like a true pedophile..

Posted at 1:41PM on Dec 16th 2008 by Fuschiadiva
>GEEZUZ DIVA...What a frightening thought! But how apt...how apt.

Posted at 1:47PM on Dec 16th 2008 by VioletteUK

The sad part is that she is probably right - or maybe this individual knew the killer personally...

VioletteUK

34. 32. 28. "3. So what.

Posted at 1:00PM on Dec 16th 2008 by G. Hall"

Spoken like a true pedophile..

Posted at 1:41PM on Dec 16th 2008 by Fuschiadiva
>GEEZUZ DIVA...What a frightening thought! But how apt...how apt.

Posted at 1:47PM on Dec 16th 2008 by VioletteUK

Posted at 1:51PM on Dec 16th 2008 by Zillah Cain
I tend to agree with you...makes me ill to think of it.
There are some very scary creatures walking around on this earth.

Ken

LOL, some of you are insane. OK fine, I am a sleezeball for questioning the timing of this and the fact that once again, the police are certain a dead man did it. I'll buy into some of you getting bent out of shape for someone actually suggestion that. But to call #3 a pedophile and suggest that he/she may have known the real killer because he/she wrote 'so what' is mental. Seriously, if your judgement ladder takes you there off of a comment like that, you people need therapy. Have a nice day you sick fu&ks.

annie

May he burn in hell.
That being said, John Walsh may have done alot for protecting our children, but he is still an unbelievable creep. I know the girl he f&cked around on his wife with and saw them together many times. Then I would see him talking about what an incredible wife he had. For him to do that to her after she lost little Adam is sickening. BTW, the mistress has been hiv+ for many years - wonder if he passed that on to his incredible wife as well.

Beachbum

At the time of Adam's abduction, I lived very close to Hollywood, FLA. My own son was two years younger than Adam. I remember when they found him, or what was left of him, I will never forget. This could happen to any family. This has haunted me for many years. My heart still goes out to the Walsh family. They have been and always will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that the Walsh family can finally have some closure.

Gertrude

I am so glad that the authorities have found out, who murdered little Adam Walsh. When this thing happened, it made me a nervous wreck. At the time, I had grandchildren, and tried to be so careful with them. I kept them during the day, and sometimes we would go to the mall. I was a wreck until we got into the car to come home. All of our family lives in a "compound". I feel safer now, that the children are all grown. But, we have three great grandchildren, and Lord help the one who attempts to come in down here. Again, John, praise God, they can name the killer of your little son, Adam. Prayers have been answered.

ChristyA

I am happy to hear this but I wish the man was still alive and John Walsh could have a moment alone with him. There is a special place in hell for people like Toole. I pray that the Walsh family can find peace.

VioletteUK

Posted at 2:06PM on Dec 16th 2008 by Ken
Must be a fellow member of number 3's club...
After all he's standing up for this piece of c*ap.
And he calls US sick???