Peter Falk's Daughter: My Dad Has Alzheimer's

12/16/2008 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The daughter of Hollywood legend Peter Falk says her father is no longer competent to run his own life because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Catherine Falk filed legal papers in L.A. County Superior Court claiming her father "requires full-time custodial care for his health and safety."

In the docs, Catherine claims she is worried her father "can easily be deceived into transferring away property" and believes a conservatorship will protect Peter from "fraud or undue influence."

A hearing on the matter is set for next month. Calls to Falk's reps were not returned.

Julie

This is so sad to hear!

snake

sad to hear........I have been a fan of Columbo since it first ran on tv. and let's not forget his role in The Princess Bride! best wishes for Peter and his family

Nana Lori

I'm old enough to remember Peter Falk and his daughter having difficult times with each other. I had heard that he disowned her and refused to "support" her after a certain age. Does anyone else remember this? I wonder if this situation involves "that" daughter?

RENEE

Peter Falk such a superb actor, can't nobody wear that rain coat like him,,,, sad to hear of this Illness that has affected him, wish him the best, and to the daughter you will be blessed,
god bless you and the falk family

Rush Limpbaugh

Aww!! I really love that guy! He's given us so much joy from his amazing talent and lovable characters. I wish him only the best in his golden years.

Me, myself and I

Very sad. At 60 years old, I'm already writing notes to myself. My Mom is becoming more paranoid by the day. All kinds of people are out to get her. Maybe we all need a lot more oxygen to our brains.

Mike

May our Lord Jesus bless and encourage brother Peter and his family during this storm they are going through.

why?

I worked on an Alzheimer's unit for several years. It was a wonderful experience. These patients continue to have something to offer in their own unique way. It takes a lot of patience and skill but I found it to be a rewarding experience. Hopefully Mr Falk will have excellent care givers and he will continue to have quality of life. He brought so much happiness to so many. A great talent to be sure, so well loved. He deserves to be well taken care of.

LB

Both of my parents are slowly disappearing due to Alzheimer's Disease. It is the cruelest way a person's life can end. Declaring them incompetent and taking over their affairs was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Charlie

Don't forget him in The Princess Bride and the original The In Laws....he is a unique, versatile, and very talented actor...
I hope that he is comfortable and happy in his twilight years.

ellen15

Very sad news. Peter Falk has always been one of my favorites. Liked Columbo enought to watch reruns. With all the garbage on television now, bringing back the reruns of his shows would be most welcome, and would have a large audience. God Bless him and his family. My prayers are with them.

pam

WHAT A SAD THING TO READ GOD BLESS THE COLUMBO MAN!!

steve

Very sad news....He was a fantastic actor. !!!!! I hope the lord lets clumbo solve his last case and let him not suffer !

Jack

There's an Insider video of Peter Falk, looking disheveled, waving his arms and telling photographers, "Get out of here, get out of here." When it was first posted on You Tube, it didn't make sense. Now it does. I hope the Insider has the guts to do the right thing and take it down. Failing that, they should at least edit it, apologize and explain the man has Alzheimer's disease. My daughter works for the Alzheimer's Association and I had an uncle who had the disease for nearly a dozen years. I know what the disease is like. My heart goes out to Mr. Falk's family.

2034 days ago

Dr. Bob

Very sad news. Peter Falk is/was such a versatile actor. He could be menacing and funny at the same time. He always added a lot of "flavor" to any movie he was in, no matter what role he was playing... a gangster... a cop... I wish him the very best for his remaining time on Earth, and hope that he is well taken care of. He's lucky to have a daughter that cares, instead of one who would sell him for dog food as my daughter would do to me.

2034 days ago