"Benjamin Button" Writer Sues Over Ponzi Fraud

12/26/2008 4:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The writer of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Forrest Gump" and "The Horse Whisperer" has sued his investment manager after suffering "massive losses" as a result of the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.

In a lawsuit filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Eric Roth claims his "trusted investment manager," Stanley Chais, was responsible for managing hundreds of millions of dollars from various clients. The suit claims Chais "simply handed over the entirety of these funds to BMIS [Maddoff's company], all the while collecting enormous fees for his so-called 'management' of these investments."

Roth, who was was just nominated for a Golden Globe for "Benjamin Button," said earlier this week he lost all his retirement money, telling the L.A. Times, "I'm the biggest sucker that ever walked the face of the Earth."

In the suit, Roth blasts Chais for failing to diversify the investments and failing to heed warning signs that it was all too good to be true.

Roth is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

jmo

I bet Eric Roth wasn't complaining when those bigger than average dividends were rolling in. Sorry, I can't work up sympathy for greedy people.

2038 days ago

Mary Worth

The movie is getting some bad reviews from respected publications. And Brad Pitt is not faring much better. He's only "just there" is the consensus. In other words, his makeup is giving the performance!

2038 days ago

jaye

People are just stupid. you NEVER invest more than you can afford to lose. To invest your retirement funds like that without knowing where it is going is crazy.

2038 days ago

SHANNON MOAKLEY

Ah, KARMA... ain't she a biatch!!!

2038 days ago

Glisten Garbor

Yah that sucks, but on a happier note, Jen Aniston's movie beat Brad's in the $$$$$$$$$$ dept..hehehehehe

2038 days ago

tmz is the pits

According to the statistics, the majority of the investors were charities and foundations NOT individuals. Hospitals, food banks,schools and community outreach programs throughout the world are being forced to cut life-giving services as they watch millions of dollars in grants from these large charities dry up in the wake of Madoff's $50 billion Ponzi scheme. Several charitable foundations with investments in the Madoff funds have closed their doors already.
The bulk of the money lost went to the general community through these charities it's the average American, that's who the victim is here.

Please know the facts BEFORE you write your ignorant comments.

2038 days ago

Mariah

Wilma and Connie:

I think "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" comes close, too.

2038 days ago

LongJohn69

Lost his retirement? I think "Button" will set him up nicely, once again so he gets no sympathy from me.

2037 days ago

david chavis

I AM GLAD MR.ROTH FOUND OUT NOW READY THAN LATER ! WELCOME TO THE CLUB ! BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME MR.ROTH ! OTH ' ER_WISE YOUR WORK SPEAKS FOR ITSELF ! FOR NOW CONTINUE TO CLOSE THE CHAPTER ON MR. CHAIS ! FOR YOUR PERUSAL ; I SPELL MY LAST WITH A " V " < CHAVIS > !

2037 days ago

Victoria

They liked getting those statements every month telling them how much they made because they had "celebrity" status.

2037 days ago

fraudvsfraud

I think it's terrible that Madoff created a wealth vacuum for rich people that ran for 30 years. I can't imagine that the guy will be able to live with himself for long and hope that before the demon that lives inside him that took over his soul and let him suck money for so long, finally turns his lights off, he accounts for all the money he took and the assets he bought. I suspect that the mafia is behind this operation on some level, and I wonder if that will ever be revealed. What is a tiny bit poetic, and karmic about Eric Roth loosing his fortune to this fraud, is that Roth is a bit of a fraud too and not admitting it. A book called "The Confessions of Max Tivoli" by Andrew Sean Greer, whose manuscript was written before Eric Roth was hired to do his adaptation of Benjamin Button, is much more similar to the film than the Fitzgerald short story. I saw a screening of the film with Roth doing q & a afterward and I asked him why his film is so much like Andrew Sean Grear's novel and he denied having read the novel, said the novelist stole from his script and quickly changed the subject. Read The Confessions of Max Tivoli and pray that Roth doesn't win an Oscar for possible plagiarism.

2037 days ago

Jeff Dranetz

People need to manage their own money.
My father always told me, "No oneelse in this world wants to make YOU money, just money for themselves."

2037 days ago

toomanydoggies

Just mention the word Rabbai, and all of the antisemites come out of the woodwork.

2037 days ago