"Puff's" Daddy -- "Magic Negro" Shocking

12/29/2008 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

One of the hippie trippers who created "Puff the Magic Dragon" is not so mellow with "Barack the Magic Negro," the Barack Obama-related spoof of his song.

In a distinctly un-free-loving screed on Huffington Post, Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary says "Magic Negro" is "not only offensive, it is shocking and saddening in the extreme." He adds the song "insults the office of the Presidency" and takes a kids' song and twists it into a "vulgar, mean-spirited ... slur."

Chip Saltzman, a GOP bigshot who's being considered for the top post at the Republican National Committee, sent out the song to committee members.

Magic Negro - Defined, for the small minds of the eternally outraged American Left.

Lizzie

Thanks to the Lord above, the ugly Republican reign in coming to a close. Pres. Bush will be coming back to Texas unfortunately, but at least he won't be able to continue to harm our nation. Hasta la vista Bushie and Senor Cheney! And in comes the new RNC leadership...hopefully, not the "Magic Negro" - enjoying buffoon, but hey, if that's the best the party has to offer, so be it.

Another pointless story....

Let my 4 year countdown begin....

Wow

Some of these comments are so stupid. YES, people would be offended if there was a song called "Bush the Magic Cracker". Think of it that way. The song is an atrocity and makes Americans look like backward idiots. I'm tired of people ragging on Americans for how "stupid" and "ugly" we are supposed to be, but with things like this going on, I'm starting to think that they are right. The scary thing is, a lot of people think this song is "fine" or a "joke". I love my country and my countrymen, but as long as we continue to accept things like this as a "joke", then others will continue to think we are a country of backward, hateful idiots. We used to be thought of as the best and most tolerant country in the world, now everyone thinks we are dumb idiots.

NJ

For all you racist and border line racist you really humor me to say the least im rflmao....because its folks like yourselves that actually put Bam in office with alot of help from the conservative smart A**e's. he he he...keep up the good work people!!!....the future is not in your hands no more

texaslady5

SO MANY ARE STUPID OUT THERE AND WE ALL KNOW WHICH ONES ARE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH THE COLOR OF HIS SKIN, TO BAD DEAL WITH IT JUST LIKE WE HAD TO DEAL WITH THAT bush FOR 8 YEARS DEAL WITH OBAMA FOR 8 AND YES I SAID 8 YEARS,RED NECKS ACT LIKE WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT CAN BE PRESIDENT,WELL ITS TIME FOR A DAM CHANGE AND WHAT YOUR ASS DONT LIKE YOUR CHILD ARE SOME ONE CLOSE TO YOU WILL BRING INTO YOUR FAMILY. YES HE IS THE RIGHT ONE THE THE OFFICE WITH A WONDERFULL EDUCATION AND A GOOOOD BLACK MAN BROUGHT UP RIGHT,AND THERE ARE ALOT MORE OUT HERE CANT U SEE HES PUTTING THEM IN THE OFFICE WITH HIM.

Another pointless story....

Spell check # 38?

Brian

Well this song is old news it came out over 6months ago, so what if some idiot wants to complain about it or that it offends the the President to be or his office. They have no problem when they ask for the head of Bush & Chenny or that they are war criminals or some other dumb reason to through hate and shoes at our current president. Obama ran on anti Bush this and that but hes keeping a good amount of that Bush staff, the song is a joke and should be left at that. Where is all the protest from fat people out side Weird Als place. Obama, in my eyes lied and cheated his way to the White House, and hes got 4 years to back up all the promises he made....And Racism is what got Obama elected, because he didnt have a resume that was worth a damn to be in the running for the job he got, people who voted for Obama voted because hes black and that can be proven by how much the majority of you idiots out there who have no clue of his views and the friends he has, and the majority of white people who voted for him did it because they think there cool with the blacks now and have righted all there past wrongs by voteing a black man to be president.

NJ

texanite are you hispanic or a caucasian butt kisser or a conservative boot licker or a saltine or just one of two things from texas a queer or steer. tell me partna....lol

CC

Hey #34. (Wah)Thanks for the definition of "Magic Negro" because right in the definition it states "The word negro, now considered by many as archaic and offensive".

Hmm, maybe GOP big shots who consider themselves "dignified people" should have more sense then that! What would you be saying if Obama said "All white people are stupid, hillbilly honkies and I hate them all"? I'm guessing you wouldn't be very pleased.

In case you want to make this a race thing. I am white. Sorry, not white people think its ok to use racial slurs!

Tangie

Well said, GMAN. Blacks only voted for him cuz he is black. And there are so man blacks now, cuz the woman have 18 kids by 17 men and the men go from woman to woman impregnating them and then leaving. And whites voted for him cuz they think they are cool. He is not qualified. He hangs with terrorists, does drugs and is Muslim.

Mom in Evans

This is a country where freedom of speech exists. The Republican politician, and L. A. Times have the right to express themselves as they see fit. But, by the same token, I have the right to express myself as I see fit. I for one like to know where people stand. Racism has become very PC in the last couple of years, and it's getting harder to know who the bad guys are. You have a lot of people who have the most disgusting opinions about minorities in general, but they don't let you know that they think you are a 'negro', or something worse. Whether we know it or not, we are surrounded by racists. They are our neighbors, our bosses, our teachers, our co-workers, etc. But, you would never know that because they don't want to be sued, or lose money because of their personal opinions. Meanwhile, in the cut, they make policies that hurt, or hinder minorities. Maybe you don't know it, but it is in the 'fine print'. I like to know about people who think I am a 'negro'. That way I know to keep my money in my pocket, and to vote for someone who respects me as a person. So, I say 'Thank You' to this Republican, and to the L.A. Times. I know that I would never vote for someone who thinks this is 'satire'. I am not a staunch Democrat, which a lot of people think most minorities are. A lot of things the Republican Party believes in I personally believe in. But, it seems that we 'negroes' might not be welcome at the Republican convention. I know that I will never buy the L.A. Times. If they wanted to question Mr. Obama's abilities that is one thing, and fair game, but to say that his race has anything to do with it is another matter. I'll be keeping my money in my pocket. If you think I am the only one who feels this way you are wrong. I can't change peoples stupid opinions about my race, or anything else. But, it's nice to know who, and where you are that way you don't get my money, or votes. So, I say keep showing yourself for who, and what you are. Me, and whole lot of other people will be watching. We'll see who has the real power.

hot snot

it comes with the job...he put himself out there. It's tasteless yes...but worse has been said about many presidents in the past

NJ

And so what if i use meth all day and all night. that nothing to do with my political affiliation what so eva....I gets Sky Highhhhhhhhhhh..........soulja boy tellem...yeahhhhh booooy

vickhater

Just another example of how out of the the Republicans are in the country............sad sad rich angry racist people