John Travolta's Son Dies

1/3/2009 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.

UPDATE 5:15 PM ET -- Police just released more details. According to a report, Jett was last seen going into the bathroom at their private suite at the Old Bahama Bay Resort sometime yesterday. The body was discovered by the caretaker, Jeff Michael Kathrein (pictured bottom right with Travolta in 2006), at 10:00 AM today. The report says Jett suffered from seizures.

An autopsy is being performed to determine the exact cause of death.

UPDATE 4:54 PM ET -- A police spokeswoman says Jett hit his head in a bathtub.

UPDATE: 4:40 PM ET -- Restview Memorial Mortuary and Crematorium in the Bahamas tells TMZ Jett's body would be transferred there on Monday.

UPDATE: 4:00 PM ET -- Travolta's attorney Michael Ossi says Jett suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he died on scene.

Robert Gidel, president of Ginn Properties (which owns the Old Bahama Bay Hotel), tells TMZ, "The Travolta family has become like family to us at Old Bahama Bay and we extend our deepest sympathies to them."

2020 COMMENTS

Kathy

This is horrible news.

My deepest condolences to out to John and Kelly and their entire family.

As a parent, this is THE worst possible thing that can ever happen to a parent. My heart aches for them.

They'll be in my thoughts & prayers

Heather

Not to further speculate, but seizure disorders are pretty common among autistic individuals.

I feel really sorry for the Travoltas. I don't even have children yet and I couldn't imagine the pain of losing your child (furthermore, as a father, your only son). Poor Kelly Preston, I always liked her, she always seemed like a really sweet lady.

Not that it's really any of our business, but it would be very, very sad if this poor kid died because he was not receiving treatment because of his parents' religious beliefs. I don't care if he's a Scientologist, a Jew, a Catholic, or Amish...this whole idea of not accepting medical care because of your faith in God or Xenu or whoever is archaic and ridiculous.

tbone

They should sue Kawasaki, those things are dangerous.

Ken S

I am so sorry John. As a father of five I can't imagine the pain but know it must be the worst you can have.

micks

That really sucks...condolences to the family.

KathyK

God bless the Travolta family and forgive those passing judgment on Jett's parents.

Firerocket

Lets not forget the fact that some parents just lost their kid and enough of the Jesus crap,its all a bunch of hooky mumble jumble make believe nonsence

LonelyCrow

Oh my God, how terrible. Words cannot express the way I feel right now for John and his family. How tragic. My condolences are with them.

Pam

Access Hollywood said that he fell in the bathroom and hit his head. My prayers are with this family.

JB One

This is very sad and from my family to Mr. Travolta's family and friends my condolences. This is much too young for a loss.

Edwin D Gill

I was NOT with Jett at the time of the crash. And I got a note from my mother to prove it.

For the record, I tried scientolgy, but I couldn't afford it, so I had to go back to regular old religion.

anonymous

OMG that is so sad. God Bless Them All!

Joseph

So sorry. My condolences to the Travolta family.

Rumpsplash

Well my New Year's resolution is to stay the hell away from jet skis.

I'm a level 9 thetan master scientologist mixologist grand wizard, and whenever a young boy dies our way to honor him is to shove a lit roman candle up a cat's ass and dance around the fiery cat to Journey's "Don't Stop Believin"

I have said to much, Xenu is always watching, especially when you poo

devilsadvocate

Having lost my 9 year old son to cancer a year ago I am so sad for the Travoltas. It is the worst thing a parent can go through and they have a long road ahead. I wish them much strength and peace in the difficult days to come.