Travolta's Son -- Fatal Blow to Head

1/3/2009 2:36 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned what may have killed Jett Travolta, and it's not what police have suggested.

We've spoken with John Travolta's lawyer and close friend, Michael McDermott, and family attorney Michael Ossi, both of whom are with John in the Bahamas. They tell TMZ it appears Jett's fatal injury was the result of hitting his head on the bathtub, toilet seat, or both. And they say the intimation that Jett went undiscovered for hours is absolutely false.

Police have said the last time anyone saw Jett was when he went to the bathroom on January 1. His body was discovered by nanny Jeff Kathrein the next day at 10 AM. In fact, McDermott and Ossi say it appears Jett went back and forth to his room and the fatal injury occurred "very shortly" before Jett was found on the bathroom floor -- McDermott called it a "small window of time."

McDermott and Ossi tell us two nannies were present on the trip and Jeff was by his side 24/7. There was a baby monitor device by Jett's side and there was also a chimer in the bathroom when the door opened.

McDermott and Ossi say it is still unclear if Jett fell to the floor as a result of a seizure or if he had a seizure after falling or slipping. There was blood on the floor of the bathroom, but "not a tremendous amount." It appears the striking of Jett's head was the cause of death, though it won't be clear until the autopsy is performed Monday morning.

Jett's body will be embalmed Monday afternoon. There will be a local showing on Tuesday and later that day the body will be flown to Ocala, Fla. for burial.

McDermott says both John and Kelly are night owls. John often goes to sleep at around 5 AM. But McDermott says both nannies were at the hotel and Jeff always present.

McDermott tells us a hotel manager was first on scene with Jeff and the two of them administered CPR. John came in shortly thereafter and John took over for a "substantial period of time [and] was performing CPR and continued that until EMT came and took over."

McDermott says as for Travolta and Preston, the pain is "unimaginable and unquantifiable."

UPDATE: The Grand Bahamas health minister confirms that the autopsy will be conducted by two pathologists to ensure a proper evaluation has been made. A clinical and forensic pathologist from Nassau, that is U.S. certified, will fly into Grand Bahama on Monday to help perform the autopsy.

RQM

It is a sad time to lose someone close to you. I could only imagine how some of these people with their repulsive posts deal with their lives. Some are so ignorant as to claim using the Internet is a bona fide way of investigation. My thoughts go to John and his family.

darling nikki

It kills me how some of you are so protective of these stars. Some
of these stars do whatever it takes just so the media keeps the light
shining on them and keeps their so-called good life or so-called good
causes on a pedestal. They profit off the first pictures of their
newborns, they write their little autobiographies (for a profit of
course), etc. But yet when something does not work as planned in
their life, the very same public they oh-so loved to whore their
personal business to is supposed to be hush-hush. Sorry, it does not
work out like that. These stars will do whatever it takes, short of
selling their souls, to show off their perfect, high maintenance
lives....so it is only natural for those to inquire and speculate
about what went wrong

_____________________________

Michelle, this is what has you acting like a crazed maniac??? Only a nutcase takes a generalized comment personally!

WTF

authoirties in the bahamas are not to be trusted they only want money

darling nikki

Michele sounds like she may be foaming at the mouth behind that keyboard of hers.

darling nikki

Since Jett's spirit is roaming out there on the loose until the COS decides which planet to send his soul to, it looks like he has taken over Michelle's body in the meantime. She has some serious screws loose.

darling nikki

Only a tard comes on a gossip site and then complains when people gossip

sflccbica

I just lost my teenage son on Dec. 13. He killed himself. Please don't say anymore comments, that blame the parents. I blame myself everyday. "I should have known he was so depressed.....I'm his mom, he must have given me signs......" I wish I could go back in time but I cannot. Looking back, I should have realized how sad he was. I don't believe in drugs in most cases, but I am not a scientologist. I just think they are overprescribed, and don't work. I have been studying holistic medicine., and I was giving him certain vitamins and supplements, but I didn't know he was using cocaine, percosetts, and alcohol regularly. He was not living with me and was on his own. I am not on any sedatives or anti-depressents. I cry everyday and think about my son every minute. I pray for any family who loses a child so young, but especially if it is suicide. Thanks for listening.

lexie

Everyone should be praying for the Travolta family at this time. The loss of their precious son is something they will never get over. Let them have this private time to accept what has happened.

It does seem that there are a lot of unanswered questions, but the truth will come out.

May Jett rest in peace with the angels.

JennMaie

I think it is awful that people can say such nasty things at a time like this. It does not matter what religion a person is, what there profession is, or if the child was already ill. I don't think they hurt any less. These people have just lost there only son. I hope they can manage to get through this and I also feel for his little sister. She has just lost her big brother. It is so sad to think Americans have come to this. Even in the event of a child passing, we can not come together to support the family in mourning. God bless

Baelzebub

Bob Saget needs privacy??????

Time 4 Ur Pap-Smear

TMZ, please stop calling the "viewing" of the boy's body as a "showing". That's crass. The parents may be in show business, but I hardly think the funeral of their son would qualify as a "showing". Condolences for their tragic loss. I hope whatever faith the parents and family hold, it is enough to sustain them during the sorrowful days and years to come. RIP Jett.

Sunneth

Have you ever noticed that a tragedy seems to bring out the dark underbelly of society? It's not enough just to wish the family well and send condolences, some have to add their rude comments and I suspect this is just ignorance, lack of maturity or the overwhelming need to be noticed. This is a time of great sadness and loss for a family who has brought hours of enjoyment to us through their work in film.It is not our job to analyze or dissect the matter.Has it become too great a chore just to say " I'm sorry for your loss"?

Bryan from Indiana

Lets not forget Jett. If it was to do with the religious belevies of the family this is still a tragedy for the family. Lets not make judgements toward that. This is the lost of a young mans life. Something we all need to remember. My prayers and thought go to Jett and his family.

Taino

Having lost a dear brother of a tragic and unexpected death the day before Thanksgiving '08, I have a sense of the deep pain these parents must feel. I hope that they will be surrounded by people who will give them courage and hope. I am confident that God will hear the cries and provide comfort.

midi

how devastating for the family! peace and rip.

2025 days ago
Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments